Blueback by Tim Winton

Blueback (1997)

by Tim Winton

This is a little fable by Tim Winton, and even though I really don't like Tim Winton, or his writing style, I liked this book.

I really don't want to go into too much detail because it's almost a novella and a children's book so to go into the plot would really spoil the story. But it's a very vivid and colourful story about a boy and a fish he names Blueback.

Winton has a really strong connection with the sea and surf culture and he has a great respect for it, and I think that's evident in this little story. c: ( )
  lydia1879 | Aug 31, 2016 |
I thought that blue back was a heart touching book that was about a boy growing up near the sea and he has this amazing relationship with a groper a great big blue fish as hey both grow up.
  vanniand2018 | Jun 5, 2013 |
It is described as an adult fable. It deals with a single mom and her son on the Western Australia coastline. It was a short read and it disappointed. I loved the setup, but it dissolved into a rather preachy ecological lecture on global warming and the overharvesting of the ocean. I can't disagree, but felt it a bit pushy from one of my favorite authors. I couldn't figure out who he was trying to reach: is whaling still a problem in Australia? Or was he going for the women-who-poach-abalone demographic? Just sort of disappointing. ( )
  BlackSheepDances | Dec 24, 2009 |
A enchanting tale - not limited to children - of one boy, his mother and his best friend - a huge fish. ( )
  avaland | Jun 27, 2008 |

An ecological novel on a boy who protects a fish from property developers and rapacious fishermen. The boy, who lives on a bay in Australia, befriends the fish, a blue grouper while diving for abalone, his family's trade. By the author of The Riders.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014330433X, 0143202839

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,997,477 books! | Top bar: Always visible