The Hidden Oracle by Rick Riordan

The Hidden Oracle

by Rick Riordan

Series: The Trials of Apollo (1)

7733511,948 (4.08)1 / 9

Apollo, the god of Music, Archery, and the Sun, has been punished by Zeus, leader of the gods, and has been sent down to earth. On top of this, all of his powers have been taken. Zeus has left him with a wallet and clothes, but soon 2 street thugs steal all of the money. They may have killed Apollo if a girl, Meg, hadn’t shown up. She kicked apple cores at them, hitting them in the stomachs with great power. Apollo suspected she had some immortal power, so he took her to camp half-blood, where demigods (people who have a god as one parent and a mortal as another) can live and train safely. Apollo knows that all he has to do to get back to mt. Olympus is to complete a quest, and to recieve the quest he must go to an Oracle. The oracle at camp, Delphi, is broken, so Apollo must find another one. He chases dodona, an oracle hidden in a forest. A few days after they arrive, there is going to be an event, the three legged race, which is held in an underground labyrinth. The labyrinth is famous for its “Go in on this continent, walk 5 feet, come out on the other side of the world” type scenarios, so racers often dissapear. During the race, Apollo and meg, who became partners, come to a cave where Nero, an evil Roman emperor, has come back to life and is plotting to destroy tithe oracle of dodona. After the race, Apollo and Meg almost immediately start looking for dodona. When they finally find it, after many incidents in the forests, Nero already has a lit torch and is ready to burn down dodona. Apollo fights Nero, but soon realizes that Meg had been a traitor and supports Nero. Apollo succeeds in stopping Nero, and makes it back to camp just in time to see a massive Nero statue on its way to camp half blood. After rallying the troops and a great battle, the campers manage to take down the statue. After that, they celebrate and the book ends.
This book was a really good book. It is well written, and it has a lot of different parts of the story that all come together. Rick Riordan does a really good job of writing books that incorporate Greek and Roman mythology, and even real events in history. The book also has sword fights and mythical beasts, so it isn’t boring. I really liked the trials of Apollo, It was a really good book. ( )
  ShailenS.G1 | Oct 14, 2017 |
The book is a continuation of the Percy Jackson series where Apollo is put in mortal body and is faced with challenges while going to camp half-blood and helping camp half-blood with their current issues. You could use this to teach kids about greek mythology.
  LeanneWorth | Oct 5, 2017 |
B

Amusing.

Most of the appeal of this book is to get to live in the Percy Jackson Universe again. I'm not a fan of Apollo. Meg is great though. ( )
  fierce_bunny | Sep 8, 2017 |
I really liked this book, it kind of goes with out saying that Apolo is kind of full of himself. It was fun to see one of the gods as a person I look forward to seeing more of he's struggle. I knew going into it that we weren't going to see much of all the characters we love. We did get a small update on their lives which I am very happy about. I am so happy about Will and Nico's relationship being canon that I said "Yes Eeeek" out loud when I read it. I feel like Megs story line really mirrors Luke's, they both betrayed a friend for someone 'evil' who promised to take care of them. I never really felt like I could forgive Luke even though he apparently redeemed himself. I alway felt that it was kinda like Snape from Harry Potter, everyone else suddenly love this person and I just don't think it's enough. Since Meg is so young I think I might be able to forgive her, also nothing really bad happen because of what she did. I don't know... I guess I just feel bad for her. I am so excited to learn what's going on in the rest of the sevens lives. ( )
  Samantha_D | Jul 16, 2017 |
Summary: Apollo has been made mortal and kicked out of Olympus before, but this time, it really stings. To start out with, he landed in garbage. He's stuck in the body of a pudgy, acne-ridden 16-year-old named Lester Papadopoulos. He's lost his godly powers of music, archery, and healing. Most of his memory of the six months since Gaea's battle with the gods is missing. He's bound to serve Meg McCaffrey, an annoying demigod street urchin with a penchant for throwing fruit. And when he finally makes his way to Camp Half-Blood in search of answers (and as much as he hates to admit it, help), he finds that things there are pretty dire as well. Campers have been mysteriously disappearing, the Oracle isn't working, so they have no prophecies to guide them, communication is down, and Apollo can hear strange whisperings in the trees. Even though he's only mortal, can Apollo and the demigods figure out what's going on in time to stop it from destroying everything, including Apollo's chances of reclaiming his godhood?

Review: Rick Riordan's books are somewhat hard to review, as a) there's a lot of them, and b) they're pretty consistently good. This book, the start of a new series (but also a continuation of the larger Percy Jackson / Heroes of Olympus series), was just as exciting and fast-paced and clever about the blending of mythology with the modern world as Riordan's books always are. But I didn't like it quite as much as normal, since Apollo is not nearly as appealing a main character as Percy Jackson or Jason or Annabeth or Leo or Nico or any of the other demigods, and this book is entirely from his first-person point-of-view. Apollo, even in mortal form, is arrogant, demanding, and blithely unaware of his own faults, and while I get that that is both the joke and part of his character arc, the joke got old pretty quickly. The fish-out-of-water storyline was pretty standard, although it was interesting seeing Apollo interact with his demigod children, given that he is now their same age (and powerless, as well.) There was some impressive ret-conning involved in the plot of this series's Big Bad (or at least I suspect it was ret-conning; maybe Riordan planned it in advance, but if not, it's done pretty seamlessly.) I also quite liked Meg (and her "pet" demon, Peaches), and am interested to see where Riordan takes her character in future books. And since Apollo has gotten over himself to some extent by the end of this volume, hopefully I'll find him a little less annoying in the next book in the series (which of course I will be reading.) 4 out of 5 stars.

Recommendation: Although it's technically the first book in new series, it really doesn't do a lot of explanation about demigods / Camp Half-Blood / what happened in previous books / who any of these characters are, so I think it's best read after the two preceding series (which are good fun anyways). It's starting a new storyline six months later, so you don't need the details of the previous books fresh in your mind, but I do think you need some of the background that this one doesn't provide. ( )
  fyrefly98 | Jul 10, 2017 |

Riordan, Rickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rocco, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hoodlums punch my face
I would smite them if I could
Mortality blows
To the Muse Calliope
This is long overdue.  Please don't hurt me.
My name is Apollo.  I used to be a god.

How do you punish an immortal, by making him human of course. After angering his father Zeus, the god Apollo is cast down from Olympus into a dumpster. Weak and disoriented, he lands in New York City as a regular teenage boy, pimples and all. Now, without his godly powers, the four-thousand-year-old deity must learn to survive in the modern world unless he can somehow find a way to regain Zeus's favor. But he has many enemies - gods, monsters and mortals who would love to see the former Olympian permanently destroyed. Apollo needs help, and he can think of only one place to go; Camp Half-Blood.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 148473274X, Hardcover)

How do you punish an immortal?

By making him human.

After angering his father Zeus, the god Apollo is cast down from Olympus. Weak and disoriented, he lands in New York City as a regular teenage boy. Now, without his godly powers, the four-thousand-year-old deity must learn to survive in the modern world until he can somehow find a way to regain Zeus's favor.

But Apollo has many enemies-gods, monsters, and mortals who would love to see the former Olympian permanently destroyed. Apollo needs help, and he can think of only one place to go . . . an enclave of modern demigods known as Camp Half-Blood.

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 11 Dec 2015 20:44:44 -0500)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,507,488 books! | Top bar: Always visible