Cream of the Crop (2) (The Hudson Valley…

Cream of the Crop (2) (The Hudson Valley Series) (edition 2016)

by Alice Clayton (Author)

Series: Hudson Valley (2)

New York Times and USA TODAY bestselling author Alice Clayton brings her trademark blend of funny and sexy to this second contemporary romance in the brand-new Hudson Valley series! Manhattan's It Girl, Natalie Grayson, has it all: she's a hot exec at a leading advertising firm, known industry-wide for her challenging and edgy campaigns. She's got a large circle of friends, a family that loves her dearly, and her dance card is always full with handsome eligible bachelors. What else could a modern gal-about-town wish for? The answer, of course, is...cheese. Natalie's favorite part of each week is spending Saturday morning at the Union Square Farmer's Market, where she indulges her love of all things triple cream. Her favorite booth also indulges her love of all things handsome. Oscar Mendoza, owner of the Bailey Falls Creamery and purveyor of the finest artisanal cheeses the Hudson Valley has to offer, is tall, dark, mysterious, and a bit oblivious. Or so she thinks. But that doesn't stop Natalie from fantasizing about the size of his, ahem, milk can. Romance is churning, passion is burning, and something incredible is rising to the top. Could it be...love?… (more)
Member:Desyou
Title:Cream of the Crop (2) (The Hudson Valley Series)
Authors:Alice Clayton (Author)
Info:Gallery Books (2016), 336 pages
Tags:to-read, tbr-contemporary

Cream of the Crop by Alice Clayton

3.5/5 ( )
  wayfaring_stranger | Oct 12, 2020 |
So here's the thing. I love Natalie. Like I freaking love her. I wish she was a real life person so we can hang out. The male heroine Oscar also really does it for me, but I loved he had flaws and she didn't just roll over because he said so either. One thing that drives me bonkers in romance land is when a heroine who rocks her job, gives it all up for love, or is treated like a jerk for not immediately doing so cause love pays bills (or according to Donald Trump only your husbands pay bills) and screw a woman's sense of self being linked to her doing a job that she loves.

Natalie works at an advertising agency and is a rising star at the company. She has great parents, great friends, and a kick ass apartment too. She's a size 18 and stands proud wears designer labels, and the highest heels. She's just caught up crushing on the diary farmer that comes to her local farmers market on the weekends in New York selling her his brie.

Book #1 gives you glimpses of Oscar and you know that Natalie has a crush on him in that and this book. However, due to an opportunity opening up pitching an advertising idea to business owners in Bailey Falls, she jumps for a chance to see about making her fantasies a reality with regards to Oscar.

And that's one thing I love about Natalie. She's adventurous and ready for a hot fling. She's not looking for love, but is looking for a hot guy. You get to find out about her backstory and why she is reluctant to date (and it's a doozy) and why she's loud and proud of herself.
I liked Oscar, but did have a couple of boy, you are wrong moments while reading this. I'm just glad the heroine called him out on it.

We get interactions with Roxie and Leo (from book #1) along with Chad Bowman and other characters. And when I say interactions that's what I mean. They don't just make brief appearances they are part of the story (I hate when series do that). Speaking of Roxie, there seems to be some tension between her and her mom and I hope Clayton explores that in book #3.

Clayton's writing has real depth here. I seriously did get sniffly a bit with regards to Natalie's previous relationship. She nicely balances that with humor and really great sex scenes. I just wish we had more scenes with Clara. We have only gotten a few scenes with her and they felt not integrated with the plot very well. I think it was just a setup for book #3.

The flow works really great, and I was disappointed when we got to the end.

The setting of New York and Bailey Falls is so well done. I just wanted it to be fall already and to have pumpkins on the stoop and the weather to get colder so I can wear sweaters again.

The epilogue is once again done from the guy's point of view which I'm liking.

This was a great read! ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
I don't have the enthusiasm for this one that I did [b:Nuts|25056208|Nuts (Hudson Valley, #1)|Alice Clayton|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1445239638s/25056208.jpg|44737717] its predecessor.
They had chemistry that burst through on the pages but either I was blanking out any level of development on the relationship or it wasn't there. And I still feel like I don't KNOW Natalie or Oscar at all, just tidbits. It was still an enjoyable read, but felt lackluster.

I am putting a pause on the series until it has been a while as a result. Who knows how much I would've enjoyed this had it been a while. ( )
  samnreader | Jun 27, 2020 |
Very funny, though not as funny as the first book in the series. ( )
  Emmie217 | Jun 27, 2018 |
"Let's go make some cheese. In the history of romantic opening lines, it probably wouldn't make anyone's top-ten list, but it was music to my ears." That is basically the premise of this book. Natalie is not only obsessed with Oscar, but she is obsessed with his cheese. Yes, you read that right. It sounds ridiculous, but it is so funny.

This is one of the most unique love stories. I was dying. Dying. Natalie's obsession with cheese is just so unreal yet so awesome. Her inability to properly function around Oscar is funny as all get up.

Between the uniqueness of this story and the never-ending giggles, this story is winner in my book! If you are looking for a sweet, not overly sweet, and funny story, this is definitely a book you need to pick up. I can't wait to see what Alice has in store for me next! ( )
  AmberGoleb | Mar 13, 2018 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,409,001 books! | Top bar: Always visible