The Birdwatchers by Simon James

The Birdwatchers (2002)

by Simon James

I know fishermen tell tall tales about 'the one that got away' but I never knew birdwatchers did.  These folks are not 'birders' like my parents, but I like their approach to the hobby.  Artwork reminds me of James Stevenson or Quentin Blake. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
“Jess and Granddad return in this delightful follow-up to the popular The Wild Woods. “When I go bird watching, things happen.” Granddad says. Sometimes, he helps him find their names in his bird book. “Birds are amazing,” says granddad. But Jess isn’t sure. So one day she goes bird watching with granddad to see for herself!” (Amazon Summary)
  yunlee | Mar 12, 2013 |
For all my friends

in upstate New York --

Jeanette and Hank,

Annie and Leah,

Val,

and especially Debbie,

fellow adventurer

and custodian of my beloved

motorized scooter
My granddad is a birdwatcher.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0763616761, Hardcover)

Things happen when Jess's granddad goes bird watching. Sometimes, when he makes drawings of the birds, they make drawings of him, too. And when he can't find their names in the bird book, his obliging feathered friends help him out. Well, at least this is the story Granddad tells Jess. Intrigued, she just has to find out for herself. The first thing Jess notices when they arrive in the woods is... nothing. Not a bird in sight, even when she uses Granddad's binoculars. But by day's end, Jess has seen plenty of birds--including a pair of dancing penguins who share her sandwich.

Simon James's (Dear Mr. Blueberry, Leon and Bob, etc.) dry comic timing is simply flawless in this warm, thoroughly appealing picture book. Expressive ink and watercolor illustrations capture the gentle balance between make-believe and real, most poignantly when we see a couple of penguins unobtrusively waddling after Jess and her granddad as they make their way home. (Ages 4 to 8) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:26 -0400)

Intrigued by her granddad's stories of what happens when she goes birdwatching, Jess decides to accompany him one day.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,067,435 books! | Top bar: Always visible