Gilead: A Novel by Marilynne Robinson

Gilead: A Novel (edition 2006)

by Marilynne Robinson

Authors:Marilynne Robinson
Info:Picador (2006), Paperback, 256 pages
Tags:fiction

Gilead by Marilynne Robinson

Recently added byprivate library, mandayoga, emilykdewitt, Honisoitquimalypense, tkaouk, mstilley22, Lewter

English (269)  Spanish (2)  Danish (2)  Norwegian (1)  Japanese (1)  Piratical (1)  German (1)  All languages (277)
As old age and death approach, Reverend Ames, remembers his life in a memoir written to his young son. In it he philosophizes about everyday life, faith, and his role as parson, father, son, friend, in a small Iowa town. There are some beautiful passages but I was unprepared for the amount of theology, which shouldn't have surprised me considering Ames' profession, but it was more than I care for. It seemed more like a long sermon.

I chose this book because of the high praise it received, to say nothing of a Pulitzer prize. But in the end, it disappointed. ( )
  VivienneR | Jun 22, 2016 |
I couldn't rush this one, though I wanted to - a lovely, beautiful book that urged me to take it at an almost meditative pace. Robinson really inhabits this character, and the slow unfolding of the plot is a great reward. ( )
  KLmesoftly | Jun 5, 2016 |
Gilead - Marilynne Robinson
audio performance by Tim Jerome
3.5 stars (round up to 4)

The Reverend John Ames knows that he is mortal. He is 77 and in failing health. He is writing a letter to his 7 year-old son. It is such a human dilemma. He knows that he will not see his child grow up and he knows that he has no resources to leave his young wife and child. The letter is part apology, part family genealogy and history. It is full of sermons and self-examination. It rambles and wanders from one topic to another constantly, but eventually creates a clear picture of Gilead, Iowa, and a century of its citizens.

I loved John Ames as a character. He is a man who strives valiantly to practice what he preaches, compassionate and forgiving, he is honest about his own failings. One place where he frequently fails is in storytelling. It seems he cannot stick to the point and stay there. It isn’t until the very end of the book that he finally tells the full story of his prodigal namesake, Jack Ames Boughton. I’ll have to read Robinson’s next book, Home, to learn more about Jack.

Tim Jerome had the perfect voice for this elderly pastor. I enjoyed his performance of this book. ( )
  msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
As a religious nonbeliever, I was unexpectedly absorbed by Marilynne Robinson's tale of one man's self-examination of grace and faith. I suspect it's because, underneath all the religious baggage of supernatural nonsense and what I can only describe as a pervasive anti-critical mindset, I'm attracted to the humanistic side of the believer's search for meaning. After all, the familiar story of love and loss and love again is universal. The novel's narrator, John Ames, and I (and Ms. Robinson to some degree, I'm betting) all seek a similar truth in life. I just happen to start from a different viewpoint.

Gilead is also one of the best written books I've come across this year. I challenge any committed reader to read the first few chapters and not be moved by the writing. ( )
  Daniel.Estes | May 27, 2016 |
This is a gorgeously written book that begs to be taken in slowly and savored. The prose is achingly beautiful and several passages just leave me blown away by their language and wisdom. It's a serene, loving, and hopeful book that also explores family, jealously, loneliness, love, acceptance, and dying. Gilead is a celebration of life and the small, quiet moments that make up a lifetime. I've read this 3 times and I find myself turning to it when I want to slow down and reflect on the wonder of existence instead of the stresses of work, bills, and juggling all the tasks of daily life.

"In every important way we are such secrets from each other, and I do believe that there is a separate language in each of us, also a separate aesthetics and a separate jurisprudence. Every single one of us is a little civilization built on the ruins of any number of preceding civilizations, but with our own variant notions of what is beautiful and what is acceptable--which, I hasten to add, we generally do not satisfy and by which we struggle to live. We take fortuitous resemblances among us to be actual likeness, because those around us have also fallen heir to the same customs, trade in the same coin, acknowledge, more or less, the same notions of decency and sanity. But all that really just allows us to coexist with the inviolable, untraversable, and utterly vast spaces between us." ( )
  lisaschulte | May 25, 2016 |
A book about the damaged heart of America, it is part vibrant and part timeworn, a slow burn of a read with its "crepuscular" narrator, its repetitions, its careful languidity.
added by melmore | editThe Guardian, Ali Smith (Apr 15, 2005)

It detracts not at all, I hope, from the grave loveliness of Robinson's prose and the lucid profundity of John Ames' reflections, religious and secular, to say that the novel is suffused with emotional suspense that makes a reader's heart say, as the Rev. Ames hears his ailing one thump, "Again, again, again."
added by melmore | editSlate, Ann Hulbert (Dec 6, 2004)

''Gilead'' is a beautiful work -- demanding, grave and lucid -- and is, if anything, more out of time than Robinson's book of essays, suffused as it is with a Protestant bareness that sometimes recalls George Herbert (who is alluded to several times, along with John Donne) and sometimes the American religious spirit that produced Congregationalism and 19th-century Transcendentalism and those bareback religious riders Emerson, Thoreau and Melville.
added by melmore | editNew York Times, James Wood (Nov 28, 2004)

For John and Ellen Summers, my dear father and mother.
I told you last night that I might be gone sometime and you said, Where, and I said, To be with the Good Lord, and you said, Why, and I said, Because I'm old, and you said, I don't think you're old.
It all means more than I can tell you. So you must not judge what I know by what I find words for.
But it has all been one day, that first day. Light is constant, we just turn over in it. So every day is in fact the selfsame evening and morning.
For me, writing has always felt like praying, even when I wasn't writing prayers, as I was often enough. You feel that you are with someone. I feel I am with you now, whatever that can mean, considering that you're only a little fellow now and when you're a man you might find these letters of no interest. Or they might never reach you for any number of reasons. Well, but how deeply I regret any sadness you have suffered and how grateful I am in anticipation of any good you have enjoyed. That is to say, I pray for you. And there's an intimacy in it. That's the truth.
I'm writing this in part to tell you that if you ever wonder what you've done in your life, and everyone does wonder sooner or later, you have been God's grace to me, a miracle, something more than a miracle. You may not remember me very well at all, and it may seem to you to be no great thing to have been the good child of an old man in a shabby little town you will no doubt leave behind. If only I had the words to tell you.
A little too much anger, too often or at the wrong time, can destroy more than you would ever imagine.

Twenty-four years after her first novel, Housekeeping, Marilynne Robinson returns with a story about father and sons and the spiritual battles that still rage in America's heart. In the luminous and unforgettable voice of Congregationalist minister John Ames, Gilead reveals the human conditions and "manages to convey the miracle of existence itself." (0-312-42440-X)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 031242440X, Paperback)

In 1981, Marilynne Robinson wrote Housekeeping, which won the PEN/Hemingway Award and became a modern classic. Since then, she has written two pieces of nonfiction: Mother Country and The Death of Adam. With Gilead, we have, at last, another work of fiction. As with The Great Fire, Shirley Hazzards's return, 22 years after The Transit of Venus, it was worth the long wait. Books such as these take time, and thought, and a certain kind of genius. There are no invidious comparisons to be made. Robinson's books are unalike in every way but one: the same incisive thought and careful prose illuminate both.

The narrator, John Ames, is 76, a preacher who has lived almost all of his life in Gilead, Iowa. He is writing a letter to his almost seven-year-old son, the blessing of his second marriage. It is a summing-up, an apologia, a consideration of his life. Robinson takes the story away from being simply the reminiscences of one man and moves it into the realm of a meditation on fathers and children, particularly sons, on faith, and on the imperfectability of man.

The reason for the letter is Ames's failing health. He wants to leave an account of himself for this son who will never really know him. His greatest regret is that he hasn't much to leave them, in worldly terms. "Your mother told you I'm writing your begats, and you seemed very pleased with the idea. Well, then. What should I record for you?" In the course of the narrative, John Ames records himself, inside and out, in a meditative style. Robinson's prose asks the reader to slow down to the pace of an old man in Gilead, Iowa, in 1956. Ames writes of his father and grandfather, estranged over his grandfather's departure for Kansas to march for abolition and his father's lifelong pacifism. The tension between them, their love for each other and their inability to bridge the chasm of their beliefs is a constant source of rumination for John Ames. Fathers and sons.

The other constant in the book is Ames's friendship since childhood with "old Boughton," a Presbyterian minister. Boughton, father of many children, favors his son, named John Ames Boughton, above all others. Ames must constantly monitor his tendency to be envious of Boughton's bounteous family; his first wife died in childbirth and the baby died almost immediately after her. Jack Boughton is a ne'er-do-well, Ames knows it and strives to love him as he knows he should. Jack arrives in Gilead after a long absence, full of charm and mischief, causing Ames to wonder what influence he might have on Ames's young wife and son when Ames dies.

These are the things that Ames tells his son about: his ancestors, the nature of love and friendship, the part that faith and prayer play in every life and an awareness of one's own culpability. There is also reconciliation without resignation, self-awareness without deprecation, abundant good humor, philosophical queries--Jack asks, "'Do you ever wonder why American Christianity seems to wait for the real thinking to be done elsewhere?'"--and an ongoing sense of childlike wonder at the beauty and variety of God's world.

In Marilynne Robinson's hands, there is a balm in Gilead, as the old spiritual tells us. --Valerie Ryan

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:42 -0400)

As the Reverend John Ames approaches the hour of his own death, he writes a letter to his son chronicling three previous generations of his family, a story that stretches back to the Civil War and reveals uncomfortable family secrets.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,475,105 books! | Top bar: Always visible