The Knowland Retribution (The Locator…

The Knowland Retribution (The Locator Series)

by Richard Greener

Given my long(ish) term love affair with Kathy Reichs and her Bones books, and my new passion for Tess Gerritsen and her Rizzoli and Isles series, I thought I'd give the books that were the impetus for The Finder a chance.

Unlike any "mystery" book I've read, I quite enjoyed a different approach to "the" format. This mystery doesn't hold back the killer's identity for a big reveal near the end, you know who is choosing to assasinate the people responsible for several deathes due to e. coli infested hamburger from the beginning of the book. Free of this plot-focused device, this book has enjoyable characterization for each of the main players as they struggle with how they are going to perform in the roles forced upon them.

Really, it was like reading a mystery masquerading as "classy lit". Kind of like Gilead, but with a plot. I enjoyed and am requesting the next book from the library as soon as I submit this review. ( )
  drhapgood | Jul 27, 2014 |
I have always thought that Americans confuse justice with revenge. When they cry for justice, what they really want is revenge. That could be a theme of this book.

A firm in New York calculates the cost-benefit ratio of cleaning up a meat plant known to be contaminated with e-coli against possible deaths from eating the bad meat. Three of the 864 people killed happen to be the wife, daughter and grandchild of Leonard Martin, a very successful real estate lawyer in Atlanta.

Martin goes on the skids, sitting around drinking and eating, until he receives a disc and an apology from a researcher who had just committed suicide in New York. Martin pulls himself together, sells his share in the law firm and all his possessions and investments, creates a shell Evangelical organization, pretends to buy property and a skiff in the Bahamas, but really buys 270 acres in the middle of nowhere New Mexico. There he exercises, eats properly, becomes fit and buys and becomes extremely competent with sniper rifles and ammunition. He sets out to achieve what he considers justice by killing those responsible for making the wrong decisions.

Suspense is built by switching between three players: Walter Sherman, a locator, who, as a child never lost anything and developed a skill at finding people; three businessmen who desperately need a killer found, yet they don’t know who this person might be; and Leonard Martin. A fourth key individual is Isobel, an obit writer for the Times who is used by both Sherman and Martin for their own ends. Sherman has his own ethical concerns because it has been his practice to simply find people, not follow through once the lost have been recovered. The executives have their own ideas of justice/revenge for the killing of their own.

If you are a vegetarian you will find much to like in this book since the author goes out of his way to condemn the way animals are killed and processed and the lackadaisical method of inspection, not to mention the callous indifference of corporate executives interested only in how a cost-benefit analysis of people dying from e-coli poisoning will affect their stock prices.

You can see what’s coming but it’s really well put together and just rivets your attention. Some may feel that Greener’s occasional screeds against the media, meat industry and corporate indifference to be not germane to the story. I did not find that to be true. And I must admit to some sympathy for Martin. In fact, I remain surprised that there are still some Wall Street execs walking around. ( )
  ecw0647 | Sep 30, 2013 |
The source material for the (sadly) short-lived television program The Finder, The Knowland Retribution is a thriller involving the systematic murder of a group of venal men involved in the cover-up of a number of deaths from e-coli. The lead character, Walter Sherman, is known as The Locator, a person who can find anything...as well as things you may not expect. A very enjoyable read. ( )
  Meggo | Jan 12, 2013 |
The Locator (known to TV viewers as The Finder) is a former war vet who was injured and developed the skills/ability to find anything or anyone, anywhere. This is not a supernatural skill, but derived from observation, deduction, and perhaps a bit of instinct.

With tainted meat the weapon and corporate greed the motive, this is a topical suspense-revenge thriller. Walter Sherman, aka The Locator, is a tracker who honed his skills in Vietnam. The colorful cast of characters includes a bartender with a mysterious past, an old black man who smokes likes a chimney, stuttering publicity-shy NY Times obituary columnist Isobel, Southern lawyer Leonard who has lost everything and trimmed down, toned up, learned to shoot specialist rifles for revenge, and villains who think money will save them from justice.

The action runs across a tiny Caribbean bar on the island of St. John, the editorial boardroom of the NY Times, the gleaming skyline of Atlanta, the isolation of northern New Mexico, Adirondack hideouts, Manhattan suits, to Mississippi backwoods.

I really enjoyed this book, and found it to be a fascinating introduction to the character and his milieu. ( )
  SavageNarce | Oct 21, 2012 |
This is the book that the Finder tv show is based on. I love the show so had to give the book a try. Different. I was hoping for the quirky sense of humor of the tv show and was a little disappointed to find the book was not the same type. Also, the characters are different as well which disappointed me. Still a solid mystery and I will give the second book a try. ( )
  JJbooklvr | Apr 28, 2012 |

When successful Atlanta lawyer Leonard Martin loses his family-wife, daughter and grandchildren-to a vicious strain of e.coli, he wins a six million settlement and promptly disappears. Three years later, Martin begins gunning down those connected to Knowland, the meat-packing company responsible, one by one-from line workers to high-powered investment bankers. Vietnam vet Walter Sherman, aka the Locator, is the very expensive independent contractor those high-powered bankers hire to find the killer.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,691,797 books! | Top bar: Always visible