Stoner by John Williams

Stoner (original 1965; edition 1965)

by John Williams, Edzard Krol

Other authors:Edzard Krol
Info:Amsterdam Lebowski 2012
Collections:Your library, 2012, Favorites
Rating:*****
Tags:American fiction, English, US, midwest, integrity, 1965, historical fiction, based on true facts, fiction, biography, read in 2012, HLNF

Stoner by John Williams (1965)

English (120)  Dutch (24)  Italian (8)  Spanish (4)  French (2)  Swedish (2)  Hebrew (1)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  Danish (1)  Finnish (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (166)
Book Club July 2015. So glad this came up as a book club selection as I had never come across it before - a lost classic? Beautifully written, light on plot yet compelling and always a pleasure to return to. Heartbreakingly sad yet not a struggle to get through. Particularly enjoyed it as a former English student with an ongoing interest in academia. ( )
  aine.fin | Jul 20, 2015 |
Stoner by John Williams is possibly my favourite book of 2015. It's the story of William Stoner, who is born into a poor farming family with little means. Touchingly, his father suggests that he attend University to study agriculture in the lead up to taking over the family farm.

Whilst at University, Stoner unexpectedly falls in love with literature and decides to put his agricultural studies - and the family farm - aside to become an academic. His relationship with his uneducated parents suffers as a result of this choice and his once close bond with them begins to fade.

We follow Stoner as he commences what will be a quiet and underwhelming career as a university academic, although his rivalry with a colleague gives way to some of the funnier parts of the novel.

His marriage is a failure and his relationship with his daughter is painful, and throughout the novel I longed for Stoner to shout or put his foot down and make a stand to improve his home life.

This is a deeply honest portrait of an average man, living an average and sometimes depressing life, but it's told with such care and beauty that I really was swept away.

I finished reading Stoner a few weeks ago and the final paragraph still makes my chest ache with sadness (similar to the ending of Cloudstreet, the one difference being I didn't cry this time, but it was close).

* Copy courtesy of Penguin Random House * ( )
  Carpe_Librum | Jul 15, 2015 |
It's like reading the book of Job. ( )
  Gimley_Farb | Jul 6, 2015 |
Finished at 0530 this morning, 5 minutes after I should have left for work. This book disturbed me greatly, I am the age Stoner started his affair... others have described it as a perfect novel. I can only agree. ( )
  kcshankd | Jun 19, 2015 |
An excellent book about an American academic's life in the early 20th century. Reviewed on LibraryThing by other people much better than I could do. I found that despite the 100 year difference, many aspects of this story matched well with my own life, which included a 20 year stint in academia. ( )
  oldblack | May 11, 2015 |

Williams, Johnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Krol, EdzardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGahern, JohnIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Robben, BernhardÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Torrescasana, AlbertTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to my friends and former colleagues in the Department of English at the University of Missouri. They will recognize at once that it is a work of fiction--that no character portrayed in it is based upon any person, living or dead, and that no event has its counterpart in the reality we knew at the University of Missouri. They will also realize that I have taken certain liberties, both physical and historical, with the University of Missouri, so that in effect it, too, is a fictional place.
William Stoner entered the University of Missouri as a freshman in the year 1910, at the age of nineteen.

"Born the child of a poor farmer in Missouri, William Stoner is urged by his parents to study new agriculture techniques at the state university. Digging instead into the texts of Milton and Shakespeare, Stoner falls under the spell of the unexpected pleasures of English literature, and decides to make it his life. Stoner is the story of that life" -- publisher description (January 2007).… (more)

NYRB Classics

2 editions of this book were published by NYRB Classics.

Editions: 1590171993, 1590173937

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,405,737 books! | Top bar: Always visible