Stoner by John Williams

Stoner (original 1965; edition 1965)

by John Williams, Edzard Krol

Other authors:Edzard Krol
Info:Amsterdam Lebowski 2012
Collections:Your library, Favorites, 2012
Rating:*****
Tags:American fiction, English, US, midwest, integrity, 1965, historical fiction, based on true facts, fiction, biography, read in 2012, HLNF

Stoner by John Williams (1965)

English (146)  Dutch (24)  Italian (10)  Spanish (4)  German (3)  French (2)  Swedish (2)  Catalan (2)  Hebrew (1)  Norwegian (1)  Hungarian (1)  Danish (1)  Finnish (1)  All (198)
Stoner ist eine sehr eigenwillige Geschichte. Es gibt keine Höhepunkte, das ganze Buch transportiert eine sehr kühle und melancholische Stimmung. Und dennoch konnte mich Williams damit berühren und schafft es, Stoners Liebe zur Literatur auf eine einzigartige Weise zu transportieren. Das Buch hat mich nicht unterhalten aber berührt und zum Nachdenken gebracht und ist deswegen auf seine Art eine gelungene Geschichte. ( )
  Lovelymixblog | Jan 14, 2017 |
Matches Flauberts Mme Bovary in its magnificent style. ( )
  stef7sa | Jan 5, 2017 |
start off slow I thought but on in the book came very interesting.
would I reread the book no probably will not but I am glad that I read it. ( )
  TracyKelley | Nov 23, 2016 |
I'm still thinking about this one. I loved the writing and the tremendous sympathy shown by Williams to his enigmatic main character. But I though the women were universally awful and the dearth of sympathy there troubling. I was also disturbed by the character of of Lomax. Seemed like there were some things Williams wanted to say but he skirts around them in a way that made me uncomfortable.

I need to continue mulling this one over.
  laurenbufferd | Nov 14, 2016 |
I loved this book. I loved the writing. I loved the character of Stoner. I loved the delicate way the author handled everything. I loved Stoner's love of books. I loved the last scene. I loved the whole thing. I loved it so much that I kind of don't want to talk about it anymore, lest I come up with something that spoils it for me. ( )
  gayla.bassham | Nov 7, 2016 |

Williams, Johnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Krol, EdzardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGahern, JohnIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Robben, BernhardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rodell, MarieContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Torrescasana, AlbertTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to my friends and former colleagues in the Department of English at the University of Missouri. They will recognize at once that it is a work of fiction--that no character portrayed in it is based upon any person, living or dead, and that no event has its counterpart in the reality we knew at the University of Missouri. They will also realize that I have taken certain liberties, both physical and historical, with the University of Missouri, so that in effect it, too, is a fictional place.
William Stoner entered the University of Missouri as a freshman in the year 1910, at the age of nineteen.

"Born the child of a poor farmer in Missouri, William Stoner is urged by his parents to study new agriculture techniques at the state university. Digging instead into the texts of Milton and Shakespeare, Stoner falls under the spell of the unexpected pleasures of English literature, and decides to make it his life. Stoner is the story of that life" -- publisher description (January 2007).… (more)

NYRB Classics

2 editions of this book were published by NYRB Classics.

Editions: 1590171993, 1590173937

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,651,781 books! | Top bar: Always visible