Stoner (New York Review Books Classics) by…

Stoner (New York Review Books Classics) (original 1965; edition 2006)

by John Williams, John McGahern (Introduction)

3,0341971,872 (4.26)1 / 267
Member:andyg227
Title:Stoner (New York Review Books Classics)
Authors:John Williams
Other authors:John McGahern (Introduction)
Info:NYRB Classics (2006), Paperback, 288 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:****1/2

Stoner by John Williams (1965)

English (145)  Dutch (24)  Italian (10)  Spanish (4)  German (3)  French (2)  Swedish (2)  Catalan (2)  Hebrew (1)  Norwegian (1)  Hungarian (1)  Danish (1)  Finnish (1)  English (197)
start off slow I thought but on in the book came very interesting.
would I reread the book no probably will not but I am glad that I read it. ( )
  TracyKelley | Nov 23, 2016 |
I'm still thinking about this one. I loved the writing and the tremendous sympathy shown by Williams to his enigmatic main character. But I though the women were universally awful and the dearth of sympathy there troubling. I was also disturbed by the character of of Lomax. Seemed like there were some things Williams wanted to say but he skirts around them in a way that made me uncomfortable.

I need to continue mulling this one over.
  laurenbufferd | Nov 14, 2016 |
I loved this book. I loved the writing. I loved the character of Stoner. I loved the delicate way the author handled everything. I loved Stoner's love of books. I loved the last scene. I loved the whole thing. I loved it so much that I kind of don't want to talk about it anymore, lest I come up with something that spoils it for me. ( )
  gayla.bassham | Nov 7, 2016 |
Stoner
This book is about a very ordinary life but it is so well written that at times it is riveting.
William Stoner grows up as an only child on a farm in Missouri, raised by hard working, stoic and silent parents. This stoicism and passiveness inhabit Stoner throughout his life as he faces several problems with quiet determination and personal strength. His father decides that he should enrol at the new Agriculture course at the university of Columbia, which he does without protest. During his undergraduate work, he develops a passion for English literature and abandons his agriculture studies. He meets three important influences, Archer Sloane, Gordon Finch and David Massey. At the out break of WWI, Stoner decides not to enlist but Finch and Massey do. Massey is killed and Finch returns to the university and progresses up the university bureaucracy,becoming Stoner's one and only friend and defendant. Stoner meets and marries Edith, from St. Louis, and after a month of marriage, discovers she is completely neurotic and his marriage a failure. This is where his genetic makeup kicks in and he lives his life with quiet stoicism and indifference. Although they have a child, Grace, their marriage is empty. He decides to become a passionate teacher and a student favourite, obtains tenure and has a confrontation with the dean Hollis Lorax. University politics kick in and Stoner's teaching schedule is manipulated by Lorax as punishment. Stoner meets and falls in love with a former student Katherine Driscoll. For the first time in his life, he is happy. Of course, the affair cannot last and she moves away to avoid a scandal. The rest of his life involves teaching and his retirement and a painful death from cancer.
The prose of this book is magnificent and this ordinary, dull life is made inuresting and fulfilling ( )
  MaggieFlo | Jul 31, 2016 |
I guess technically this was a depressing book, but the main character was so damn passive that I couldn't empathize with him. When he did make decisions, most of the time his ensuing misery was his own fault. I mean, come on, marrying a girl who clearly isn't interested after knowing her for like three weeks and then raping her repeatedly in her sleep is not the recipe for a happy relationship. No wonder she hates you, buddy. ( )
  xicohtli | Jul 20, 2016 |

Williams, Johnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Krol, EdzardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGahern, JohnIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Robben, BernhardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rodell, MarieContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Torrescasana, AlbertTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to my friends and former colleagues in the Department of English at the University of Missouri. They will recognize at once that it is a work of fiction--that no character portrayed in it is based upon any person, living or dead, and that no event has its counterpart in the reality we knew at the University of Missouri. They will also realize that I have taken certain liberties, both physical and historical, with the University of Missouri, so that in effect it, too, is a fictional place.
William Stoner entered the University of Missouri as a freshman in the year 1910, at the age of nineteen.

"Born the child of a poor farmer in Missouri, William Stoner is urged by his parents to study new agriculture techniques at the state university. Digging instead into the texts of Milton and Shakespeare, Stoner falls under the spell of the unexpected pleasures of English literature, and decides to make it his life. Stoner is the story of that life" -- publisher description (January 2007).… (more)

NYRB Classics

2 editions of this book were published by NYRB Classics.

Editions: 1590171993, 1590173937

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,725,559 books! | Top bar: Always visible