Watchers in the Night by Jenna Black

Watchers in the Night (2006)

by Jenna Black

Two Minute Review for “Watcher in the Night” by Jenna Black

Carolyn Mathers was left at the alter when her fiance disappeared. Two years later he shows up with a very good reason for this, he was turned into a vampire. This is a murder mystery with romance. The men all have a sort of sameness about them. They are tough, unreasonable, judgmental and childish. That is a bit more reality than I wanted. That said it was a pretty good mystery, lots of action and a strong heroine. I won’t reread this book but I will read the author again ( )
  mary1963 | Apr 25, 2010 |
Nowhere near as good as the Morgan Kingsley series. Won't bother with the second Guardians of the Night book, or any thereafter. ( )
  Charliana | Apr 4, 2010 |
It was OK. I like some of the Vampire Romance books. This one was just alright though. I don't know that I'll read another of this series, but will probably read more of her books. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Sep 25, 2009 |
The small print on the cover and book spine reads: Paranormal Romance; and that unfortunately means , just another paperback romance in which one of the main characters happens to be no-human.
So I guess readers who enjoy monthly or bi weekly mass product romance paperbacks, would probably like it.On the other hand if you are looking for something like Jenna black's "Morgan Kinsley, exorcist, series" chances are that you'll find yourself highly disappointed. The Plot is weak and cliche and the main charters, act unreasonably and with the intelligence of preteen kids. ( )
1 vote enzu-chan | Feb 13, 2009 |
That which actually amused me most about the book is a spoiler, the book was more of a 3.5* vampire story but it gets extra points for amusing me lots.

Vampires in this world are divided into two groups, Killers and Guardians, the killers believe that humans are cattle, there for them to prey on. The Guardians realise that being hidden is important for survival and that they too were human once.

Carolyn Mathers was left at the altar by her boyfriend and thought that she had seen the last of him. Suddenly he turns up in her life, fitter, stronger, a vampire. He's accused of murder, she still loves him and they're not sure what to do with their relationship. There's still love there but being a couple could be very problematic.

A lot of the points that come up here are ones that I think about occasionally when I'm thinking critically about vampire romances, and here they're handled well. I look forward to reading more books by Jenna, she writes a fun story. Nothing really deep, but fun. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Nov 11, 2007 |
For Kris and Dean, who turned on the lightbulb over my head.
Carolyn Mathers felt ridiculous carrying a gun on a date, but that didn't stop her from donning her shoulder holster and slipping in the Glock.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765354519, Mass Market Paperback)

Vampires.

They hunt in every major city, hidden by the crowds, shielded by disbelief. They are Killers, and their prey is human.

Not all vampires are Killers. The Guardians of the Night sacrifice the superior physical and psychic strength that comes with feeding on humans to protect them.  But the Guardians walk a thin line, for even a single kill could leave them helplessly addicted to murder.

When detective-turned-P.I. Carolyn Mathers was left at the altar, she never once thought her fiancé had been turned into a vampire. Two years later, Gray reappears, bringing murder, mystery, and an unbelievable tale of Guardians, blood-thirsty Killers, and his own transformation with him.

And he's been accused of murder.

A first-rate P.I., Carolyn is determined to help.  Gray won’t allow what he is now to taint her -- but Carolyn vows to never let him go again.

But will helping Gray mean becoming a creature of the night?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:30 -0400)

Carolyn Mathers, a former homicide detective-turned-private investigator, feels like she's being watched. She puts her skills to use, and investigates - and discovers a world she never imagined. A world of vampires and vampire hunters, of murderers and guardians, of living at night and sleeping during the day.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,682,646 books! | Top bar: Always visible