Just a Kiss by Denise Hunter

Great series about the Callahan brothers! Each story can be read as a stand alone, but I highly recommend all three. The Callahan brothers are men who go after the woman they love and when they find her, they can't let her go.

This story is about Riley Callahn who has loved Paige since a teenager (although Paige only saw him as her best friend). When she starts to date his older brother, Riley joins the marines. There he gets wounded and returns home, where Paige (who is no longer dating the brother) begs to take care of her best friend. Here is where it gets interesting. Paige starts to see Riley as someone she loves and Riley doesn't think he is a whole man anymore and wants Paige to find someone else. The close proximity these two find themselves in starts to stir up emotions and just once kiss will see things begin to change between the two of them.

This was another great story by Denise Hunter. The romance and relationships between the characters in this story was intense, but also heartwarming. I could easily take a trip to Summer Harbor again sometime. Enjoy! ( )
  judyg54 | May 31, 2018 |
I love the Callahan brothers, and was excited to get to Riley’s story. I knew it was going to deal with Riley and Paige based on books one and two. I have loved everything I have read from Denise Hunter, but this one fell a little flat.

This was my least favorite of the series. I just never connected with the characters or their story. This was still a sweet romance, but I just expected more. It just felt different than the other books I have read by the author. I felt bored and was forcing myself to finish this one, which I have never had to do before with DH. ( )
  SimplyKelina | Jan 16, 2018 |
Just a Kiss is the third and last book in the Summer Harbor Series. Although it can be read as a stand alone book, please read the first two, Falling Like Snowflakes and The Goodbye Bride. I couldn't wait to see what would happen with the third and youngest Callahan brother, Riley. I was really rooting for him and Paige to get together. The second love match in this story, was a pleasant surprise. I felt the story line was believable. The characters were well developed. This is one time, I had a hard time with life getting in my way of me finishing the book. I must admit, I am not an unbiased reviewer. I love all of Denise Hunters books, this one was no exception. ( )
  Sandralb | Dec 18, 2016 |
It's so nice to read a new book from one of my favorite authors. I opened the book and started reading and before I knew it, I was crying. The beginning is so emotional and felt so real I wanted to go hug the couple and wish them well. Riley and Paige have been best friends forever. As Riley exits the plane, he is a completely different person from when he was home last.

After a tour in Afghanistan Riley comes home to face some challenges. What happened to him in Afghanistan? I loved his character so much. He is a strong and fit man with perhaps a bit of stubbornness to go along with his moody attitude. I loved when he discovers he will be staying with Paige for awhile. Can two best friends live together after Riley ran off to the Marines and left the one girl he loved?

Paige is a sweet and caring person. She has a big heart and wants to take care of everyone. I loved her devotion to caring for animals at the shelter. Her warmth and compassion was so well written that I wanted to be her friend. The author writes a very emotional journey between two people trying to find their way in life. The chemistry is undeniable between them as they try to overcome situations that keep them apart. I loved how the author writes Riley's character with some inner struggles that shine a light on a difficult subject many veterans face . The story is an emotional roller coaster as the characters rely on their faith to find happiness. Have you ever struggled with something and knew the only answer was to trust God?

Thank you for a story that is filled with hope, budding romances and learning to trust again. The author has provided discussion questions at the end that I highly recommend you read. The book has left me with hope that past hurts can be forgiven and sometimes a simple kiss can bring a lifetime of happiness.

I was given a complimentary copy of this book from The Fiction Guild. The review is my own opinion and I was not compensated for it. ( )
  Harley0326 | Oct 29, 2016 |
Rating: Four
Review:

"Just A Kiss" by Denise Hunter

My Thoughts......

"Just A Kiss" was the third beautifully written 'Summer Harbor Series' featuring Riley Callahan and Paige Warren. I loved how this author was able to present to us such a interesting intriguing read that will hold your attention all the way to the very end. The way these two finally got together was truly a work of art and the funny thing about it all ... both had feelings for each other at one time or another for each other. This will be quite a 'emotional journey' as well as a lots of drama for these two to finally see the writing on the wall. I did also like the way the Christian aspect comes into the read. I wasn't sure I understood how Riley's PTSD was dealt with after he came back home but I guess it comes out OK in the end. It was true that he needed some help [therapy] and it was only when he saw that he need help will he get it before it's too late for him and Paige? Will these two get their HEA? This is the time that I will say you will have to pick up this good read to see for

yourself how this author brings it all out to the readers. With Riley and Paige being friends very early on was definitely a plus for these two main characters. Add to that all the help from the secondary characters....[Beau, Zac, Aunt Trudy, Lucy] to name a few it seemed to be help all around that was there all was needed was to be asked. I found the characters for the most part well developed, portrayed, believable that help gives the reader a well told story. I felt that this was quite a touching story after all was said and done. This is a standalone read but I wished that I had read the first two series to have found out what all had happened earlier in the stories of the rest of the Callahan brothers.

This ARC was given by the publisher and NetGallery in exchange for a honest and unbiased review. ( )
  arlenadean | Sep 16, 2016 |

Riley Callahan’s plans to reveal his secret feelings for his best friend are ruined when his life is drastically changed in Afghanistan.

Watchingthe love of his life falling for his brother was enough to send Riley straight to boot camp. But over a year later, he’s officially a marine, and Beau and Paige are no longer an item. When Riley’s tour in Afghanistan is up, he intends to confess his feelings to Paige and win his best friend’s heart once and for all.

But all that changes when an IED takes the life of two comrades and leaves Riley an amputee. Now he’s heading home, injured and troubled. His plans to win Paige are a distant dream. She deserves so much more than the man that’s left. All he can do now is put some healthy distance between them. But upon his return he discovers his family has arranged for him to stay with Paige.

Paige is a nurturer at heart and happy to take care of her best buddy. By all appearances he’s adjusting miraculously well to his disability. But as the days pass, Paige begins to see that the smiles and laughter are just a mask for the pain he’s hiding. He has nightmares and mood swings, and his unwavering independence keeps him from accepting help from anyone, including her. To make matters worse, her job is in serious jeopardy. The animal shelter that she’s poured her heart into has lost its funding, and she has three months to come up the money needed to save it.

As the weeks wear on with the two in such close proximity, Paige’s feelings for Riley begin to shift into unchartered territory. Why is she suddenly noticing the corded muscles on his arms or the way his lips curl at the corners? Will she be able to deny her feelings for another Callahan brother? And will Riley let his heart heal so he can let Paige in?

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 22 Dec 2015 09:19:32 -0500)

"Riley Callahan's plans to reveal his secret feelings for his best friend are ruined when his life is drastically altered in Afghanistan...Watching the love of his life falling for his brother was enough to send Riley straight to boot camp. But over a year later, he's officially a marine, and Beau and Paige are no longer an item. When Riley's tour in Afghanistan is up, he intends to confess his feelings to Paige and win his best friend's heart once and for all...But all that changes when an IED takes the life of a comrade and leaves Riley an amputee. Now he's heading home, injured and troubled. His plans to win Paige are a distant dream. She deserves so much more than the man that's left. All he can do now is put some healthy distance between them. But upon his return he discovers his family has arranged for him to stay with Paige. Paige is a nurturer at heart and happy to take care of her best buddy. By all appearances he's adjusting miraculously well to his disability. But as the days pass, Paige begins to see that the smiles and laughter are just a mask for the pain he's hiding. He has nightmares and mood swings, and his unwavering independence keeps him from accepting help from anyone, including her. To make matters worse, her job is in serious jeopardy. The animal shelter that she's poured her heart into has lost its funding, and she has three months to come up the money needed to save it. As the weeks wear on with the two in such close proximity, Paige's feelings for Riley begin to shift into unchartered territory. Why is she suddenly noticing his corded arm muscles and the way his lips curl at the corners? Will she be able to deny her feelings for another Callahan brother? And will Riley let his heart heal so he can let Paige in?--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,378,971 books! | Top bar: Always visible