Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Just a Kiss by Denise Hunter
519333,634 (4.23)None

I received this as an ARC (which in no way influences this review, of course), and found out that it was the third in a series. I never read books out of order. I mean not even once...until now. I read the first in the series, which I loved, and was planning on reading the second, until life got busy and this review was so past it's release date. Soooo, I picked it up, fell easily within the pace of the story, loved the characters even more than I did in the first installment, cried my eyes out over a few of their circumstances, blah-blah-blah, the end.
No. Really though. Denise Hunter did such a great job with this book. She knows how to create these wonderful alpha-males who are not at all jerks, and the women are strong while holding onto their femininity. She has added quirky characters like the opinionated, outspoken aunt, who I love.
The story is heartbreaking at times, but it is a must for romance lovers who like a good clean tearjerker. The story is a beautiful example of how love can withstand, transform, heal, and is worth holding onto. ( )
  StephLaymon | Aug 12, 2018 |
The conclusion to Denise Hunter’s Summer Harbor series packs quite the emotional punch for the third eligible Callahan brother, as he finally get his chance for romance. Since meeting Riley Callahan and his best friend Paige Warren in Falling Like Snowflakes, I’ve been anxious (and hoping) to see what course their love story would take - and I’m glad to say Just a Kiss does not disappoint.

Riley returns from his time in the military a broken man, one leg short. Though he’s been in love with Paige for years, he no longer feels worthy of winning her heart and determines to simply maintain their platonic friendship status. Yet, weeks of recovery complicate Riley’s plans, forcing him into inconveniently close quarters with Paige. Of course, this time together pushes both of them to face their feelings for one another, as well as deal with their persistent and hindering insecurities, and sets them on a perfectly paced trajectory for sweet (albeit frustrating, at times) romance and hopeful healing.

Just a Kiss will please any reader of contemporary romance looking for a heartwarming read full of authentic, lovable characters, swoon-worthy moments, and encouraging spiritual themes. I really could not read this book fast enough - it’s an excellent romance for Riley and Paige (and, finally, Aunt Trudy and Sheriff Colton, too). I loved all of it and easily recommend it, right along with the previous two Summer Harbor novels.

Thanks to BookLook Bloggers, I received a copy of Just a Kiss and the opportunity to honestly review it. I was not required to write a positive review, and all the opinions I have expressed are my own. (I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”) ( )
  hes7 | Jul 11, 2018 |
Great series about the Callahan brothers! Each story can be read as a stand alone, but I highly recommend all three. The Callahan brothers are men who go after the woman they love and when they find her, they can't let her go.

This story is about Riley Callahn who has loved Paige since a teenager (although Paige only saw him as her best friend). When she starts to date his older brother, Riley joins the marines. There he gets wounded and returns home, where Paige (who is no longer dating the brother) begs to take care of her best friend. Here is where it gets interesting. Paige starts to see Riley as someone she loves and Riley doesn't think he is a whole man anymore and wants Paige to find someone else. The close proximity these two find themselves in starts to stir up emotions and just once kiss will see things begin to change between the two of them.

This was another great story by Denise Hunter. The romance and relationships between the characters in this story was intense, but also heartwarming. I could easily take a trip to Summer Harbor again sometime. Enjoy! ( )
  judyg54 | May 31, 2018 |
I love the Callahan brothers, and was excited to get to Riley’s story. I knew it was going to deal with Riley and Paige based on books one and two. I have loved everything I have read from Denise Hunter, but this one fell a little flat.

This was my least favorite of the series. I just never connected with the characters or their story. This was still a sweet romance, but I just expected more. It just felt different than the other books I have read by the author. I felt bored and was forcing myself to finish this one, which I have never had to do before with DH. ( )
  SimplyKelina | Jan 16, 2018 |
Just a Kiss is the third and last book in the Summer Harbor Series. Although it can be read as a stand alone book, please read the first two, Falling Like Snowflakes and The Goodbye Bride. I couldn't wait to see what would happen with the third and youngest Callahan brother, Riley. I was really rooting for him and Paige to get together. The second love match in this story, was a pleasant surprise. I felt the story line was believable. The characters were well developed. This is one time, I had a hard time with life getting in my way of me finishing the book. I must admit, I am not an unbiased reviewer. I love all of Denise Hunters books, this one was no exception. ( )
  Sandralb | Dec 18, 2016 |

Riley Callahan’s plans to reveal his secret feelings for his best friend are ruined when his life is drastically changed in Afghanistan.

Watchingthe love of his life falling for his brother was enough to send Riley straight to boot camp. But over a year later, he’s officially a marine, and Beau and Paige are no longer an item. When Riley’s tour in Afghanistan is up, he intends to confess his feelings to Paige and win his best friend’s heart once and for all.

But all that changes when an IED takes the life of two comrades and leaves Riley an amputee. Now he’s heading home, injured and troubled. His plans to win Paige are a distant dream. She deserves so much more than the man that’s left. All he can do now is put some healthy distance between them. But upon his return he discovers his family has arranged for him to stay with Paige.

Paige is a nurturer at heart and happy to take care of her best buddy. By all appearances he’s adjusting miraculously well to his disability. But as the days pass, Paige begins to see that the smiles and laughter are just a mask for the pain he’s hiding. He has nightmares and mood swings, and his unwavering independence keeps him from accepting help from anyone, including her. To make matters worse, her job is in serious jeopardy. The animal shelter that she’s poured her heart into has lost its funding, and she has three months to come up the money needed to save it.

As the weeks wear on with the two in such close proximity, Paige’s feelings for Riley begin to shift into unchartered territory. Why is she suddenly noticing the corded muscles on his arms or the way his lips curl at the corners? Will she be able to deny her feelings for another Callahan brother? And will Riley let his heart heal so he can let Paige in?

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 22 Dec 2015 09:19:32 -0500)

"Riley Callahan's plans to reveal his secret feelings for his best friend are ruined when his life is drastically altered in Afghanistan...Watching the love of his life falling for his brother was enough to send Riley straight to boot camp. But over a year later, he's officially a marine, and Beau and Paige are no longer an item. When Riley's tour in Afghanistan is up, he intends to confess his feelings to Paige and win his best friend's heart once and for all...But all that changes when an IED takes the life of a comrade and leaves Riley an amputee. Now he's heading home, injured and troubled. His plans to win Paige are a distant dream. She deserves so much more than the man that's left. All he can do now is put some healthy distance between them. But upon his return he discovers his family has arranged for him to stay with Paige. Paige is a nurturer at heart and happy to take care of her best buddy. By all appearances he's adjusting miraculously well to his disability. But as the days pass, Paige begins to see that the smiles and laughter are just a mask for the pain he's hiding. He has nightmares and mood swings, and his unwavering independence keeps him from accepting help from anyone, including her. To make matters worse, her job is in serious jeopardy. The animal shelter that she's poured her heart into has lost its funding, and she has three months to come up the money needed to save it. As the weeks wear on with the two in such close proximity, Paige's feelings for Riley begin to shift into unchartered territory. Why is she suddenly noticing his corded arm muscles and the way his lips curl at the corners? Will she be able to deny her feelings for another Callahan brother? And will Riley let his heart heal so he can let Paige in?--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,479,740 books! | Top bar: Always visible