An Obvious Fact: A Longmire Mystery by Craig…

An Obvious Fact: A Longmire Mystery

by Craig Johnson

This book was solidly a 3.75 in both writing and presentation (audiobook).
This book is the 2017 Tidal Wave book for Coos County libraries. Everyone in the county is encouraged to read or listen to the book, and then in April, the author will come and give a couple of talks. This is the first time I ever got on board.
This book was pleasant enough, my only complaint is that it is book number whatever in the Longmire series. While ninety percent of it makes sense, there is a significant amount of references to incidents from previous books and even more importantly the inter-personal relationships between the main characters. I never could figure out if one of the couples is actually a couple or just one person wanting the pair to be a couple. ( )
  Eric.Cone | Sep 28, 2017 |
Starring The Pequod! Lots of fun. ( )
  nhlsecord | Apr 17, 2017 |
If I had to list my favorite ongoing book series would Longmire definitely be on it! I discovered the series a couple of years ago and read all the books that had been published until I ran out of Longmire books and then I had to start waiting for new ones to be written. The agony!

An Obvious Fact is book 12 in the series and while it's good I still think the last really great book was book 9, A Serpent's Tooth. Not that the books after A Serpent's Tooth has been bad, it's just that, despite how much I adore the characters in this series the stories has not always been so fantastic that I found the one in A Serpent's Tooth to be. I had high hopes that this book would prove to be really good since the last book ended with the murder of a close family member to Walt Longmire. But, the story in this book instead was about a young man run off the road and the appearance of the original Lola, the person that Henry's '59 Thunderbird is named after and in some extension Walt's granddaughter. Of course, the murder was mentioned since it has affected many of the characters in this book, but that about it.

Nevertheless, despite not loving the story 100% was it quite enjoyable reading the book thanks to Walt, Vic, and Henry and of course Dog! Henry spent the book quoting Arthur Conan Doyle to Walt's annoyance, and Vic shows what a badass shooter she really is. And, Walt, as always got in trouble, well Walt, Vic, and Henry got in trouble. So, I can't say that I did not enjoy reading the book since I loved many parts of the book. It was just the "case" was not that interesting and the big bad was not a total surprise. And, Lola, well she was a real bitch and if I was Cady would I have renamed my child and definitely not called my car Lola again!

I want to thank Viking Books for proving me with a free copy through NetGalley for an honest review! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Apr 14, 2017 |
Absaroka County, Wyoming, Sheriff Walt Longmire and his best friend Henry Standing Bear are in South Dakota for two reasons. Henry Standing Bear will be competing in the hill climb race during the annual motorcycle rally. Meanwhile, Walt will be assisting on an investigation into a traffic accident near Hulett that critically injured a motorcyclist. The young gang member may have been deliberately run off the road. In an unexpected complication, the injured man is the son of Lola, namesake of Henry's vintage Thunderbird and, indirectly, Walt's granddaughter. Vic is in Philadelphia helping with the investigation into her brother's (and Walt's son-in-law's) murder, but she later shows up in South Dakota to join Walt and Henry for the rally. Walt will need Vic as backup as what began as an investigation into a simple traffic accident spirals into gangs and conspiracies.

Action fans will love the motorcycle racing, car chases, and gun fights. Once again, I'm amazed at the liberties Walt takes when he's out of his jurisdiction. It stretches the bounds of credibility. My favorite books in the series have lots of Henry and lots of Dog, and this one has both. Vic must be growing on me, because she didn't annoy me in this one. In fact, her attitude is exactly what was called for under the circumstances. Walt has apparently rubbed off on his best friend, because Henry quotes Sherlock Holmes throughout the book. However, Walt gets the last word. He'll have to be satisfied with that instead of a trophy like everyone else got. ( )
  cbl_tn | Feb 12, 2017 |
Near Devil's Tower, Longmire is asked to help investigate a motorcycle accident. This turns to be only the tip the iceberg as he, Henry, and Vic discover there is much more to the incident than a mere accident, which in turn they find it wasn't an accident after all, but a hit and run. Another well crafter mystery by Craig Johnson. ( )
  lewilliams | Feb 8, 2017 |
For my brother, Greg, who had his head run over once, which explains a lot.
I tried to think how many times I'd kneeled down on asphalt to read the signs, but I knew this was the first time I'd done it in Hulett.

In the latest installment of the New York Times bestselling Longmire series—the basis for the hit drama Longmire, now on Netflix—Walt, Henry, and Vic discover much more than they bargained for when they are called in to investigate a hit-and-run accident near Devils Tower

In the midst of the largest motorcycle rally in the world, a young biker is run off the road and ends up in critical condition. When Sheriff Walt Longmire and his good friend Henry Standing Bear are called to Hulett, Wyoming—the nearest town to America's first national monument, Devils Tower—to investigate, things start getting complicated. As competing biker gangs; the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms; a military-grade vehicle donated to the tiny local police force by a
wealthy entrepreneur; and Lola, the real-life femme fatale and namesake for Henry's '59 Thunderbird (and, by extension, Walt's granddaughter) come into play, it rapidly becomes clear that there is more to get to the bottom of at this year's Sturgis Motorcycle Rally than a bike accident. After all, in the words of Arthur Conan Doyle, whose Adventures of Sherlock Holmes the Bear won't stop quoting, "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 18 Dec 2015 13:28:18 -0500)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,506,454 books! | Top bar: Always visible