Ivanhoe by Walter Scott

Ivanhoe (1819)

by Walter Scott

7,42270472 (3.76)1 / 344
    The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas père (SandSing7)
    The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas (LamontCranston)
    The Once and Future King by T. H. White (LamontCranston)
    The Black Arrow by Robert Louis Stevenson (something_)
    A Search for the King by Gore Vidal (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: A light historical novel about what was happening with Richard in captivity while Ivanhoe is trying to keep England from falling apart.
    World Without End by Ken Follett (mcenroeucsb)

English (64)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (67)
(18) This is the time of year I pick one book I have read in the past to reread. In this case, I went way back to the past and picked one that was read aloud in my 7th grade or possibly 8th grade English class so what is that - over 30 years ago? Despite the fact that I love Sharon Kay Penman and her historical novels of this time, this was painful to me. It just took me forever to get into it and it was overall quite juvenile.

I guessed who the knights errant were (although of course I had read it before, I felt as if I remembered nothing.) I vaguely remembered the origins of Robin Hood. I have misty recollections of watching Elizabeths Taylor's Rebecca's horrified and lovely mien during Ivanhoe's trancing about the lists. I don't know, there is nothing more painful even to a lover of historical fiction and verbose English literature of the 19th century than attempting to engage with a writer of the latter trying to mimic the diction of Medieval England.

Overall, a bit of a dud. Bois-Guilbert's anti-climactic ending was a bit of a cop out. Rebecca just slunk away and really was the heroine as opposed to Rowena. The more fiery love story would have been between Rebecca and the Templar. And Robin Hood and his merry men were boring with their incessant song and drink. I did enjoy the depiction of the Knights Templars and would have appreciated more history in that regard. Not sure why I picked this to reread but perhaps it was an interesting choice for a 7th grade class to read aloud. In retrospect, it must have had some effect on me for me to have thought about all these years later.. ( )
  jhowell | Jun 17, 2015 |
Gurth and Wamba son of Witless. How can one forget adventures with characters like these. Add in a few damsels in distress, saving England from a tyrant, knights that will not compromise right, and some cool jousting make this a rousing and fun medieval tale. ( )
1 vote Chris_El | Mar 19, 2015 |
One of my favorite periods of time is when King Arthur ruled in England, so it wasn't hard for me to admire this tale of chivalry and valiant characters. And the characters that held those qualities, I thought, were more the outlaws than some of the knights in the story. With the humor of Wamba and the uncertain love triangles, Ivanhoe was a wonderfully fanciful story to step into. ( )
  writercity | Aug 13, 2014 |
Another wonderful work by Scott. Ivanhoe, the last of a Saxon noble family splits with his father by his allegiance to the Norman Richard the Lion Hearted. The events take place after Ivanhoe's return to England where he confronts a conspiracy keeping Richard prisoner in Europe. This work is considered not only the revitalization of England's love of things medieval but of the modern rendition of Robin Hood. The characters are believable and the story captivating. Too bad it is often considered a young adult novel. ( )
  JVioland | Jul 14, 2014 |
This classic historical romance (pretty much the inspiration for the whole genre of medieval historical fiction) is extremely well written and, from a linguistic point of view, an excellent example of the complex sentence structure often used in 19th century novels and not often today, demanding much of the reader; it is as a consequence, a challenge to read, and it took me a fortnight to get through, though this edition was only some 350 pages, and it did get a bit dull and somewhat confusing in places. Ivanhoe himself is actually a fairly minor character throughout most of the novel, and is overshadowed by a number of other characters. For much of it, the novel is actually about oppression - the oppression suffered by the Jewish characters, Isaac of York and his daughter Rebecca at the hands and tongues of Norman and Saxon alike (though the author clearly disapproves of this anti-Semitism, an opposition which is a refreshing attitude for an author of this period, it does get quite dispiriting to read when this prejudice is displayed even by characters with whom the reader is supposed to sympathise); and the oppression suffered by Saxons at the hands of their Norman conquerors (though, given that the events take place some 130 years after the Norman Conquest, the starkness of this conflict was much less clear in reality than depicted in the novel). The novel is also famous, of course, for popularising the legend of Robin Hood and coining the epithet, Robin of Locksley. Good stuff, though it drags in places. ( )
1 vote john257hopper | Jun 7, 2014 |

Page, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Richards, G. M.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tulloch, GrahamIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilson, Edward A.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In that pleasant district of merry England which is watered by the river Don, there extended in ancient times a large forest, covering the greater part of the beautiful hills and valleys which lie between Sheffield and the pleasant town of Doncaster. The remains of this extensive wood are still to be seen at the noble seats of Wentworth, of Warncliffe Park, and around Rotherham. Here haunted of yore the fabulous Dragon of Wantley; here were fought many of the most desperate battles during the Civil Wars of the Roses; and here also flourished in ancient times those bands of gallant outlaws, whose deeds have been rendered so popular in English song.
This is the main work for Ivanhoe, by Sir Walter Scott. Please do not combine with any adaptation, abridgement, etc.

"Ivanhoe" (1819) was the first of Scott's novels to adopt a purely English subject and was also his first attempt to combine history and romance, which later influenced Victorian medievalism. Set at the time of the Norman Conquest, "Ivanhoe" returns from the Crusades to claim his inheritance and the love of Rowena and becomes involved in the struggle between Richard Coeur de Lion and his Norman brother John. The gripping narrative is structured by a series of conflicts: Saxon versus Norman, Christian versus Jew, men versus women, played out against Scott's unflinching moral realism.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:45 -0400)

The epitome of the chivalric novel, Ivanhoe sweeps readers into Medieval England and the lives of a memorable cast of characters. Ivanhoe, a trusted ally of Richard-the-Lion-Hearted, returns from the Crusades to reclaim the inheritance his father denied him. Rebecca, a vibrant, beautiful Jewish woman is defended by Ivanhoe against a charge of witchcraft -- but it is Lady Rowena who is Ivanhoe's true love. The wicked Prince John plots to usurp England's throne, but two of the most popular heroes in all of English literature, Richard-the-Lion-Hearted and the well-loved famous outlaw, Robin Hood, team up to defeat the Normans and reagain the castle. The success of this novel lies with Scott's skillful blend of historic reality, chivalric romance, and high adventure.… (more)

Legacy Library: Sir Walter Scott

Sir Walter Scott has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Sir Walter Scott's legacy profile.

See Sir Walter Scott's author page.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140436588, 0451531361

Columbia University Press

An edition of this book was published by Columbia University Press.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,858,057 books! | Top bar: Always visible