Ivanhoe (Wordsworth Classics) by Sir Walter…

Ivanhoe (Wordsworth Classics) (original 1819; edition 1995)

by Sir Walter Scott

7,57270453 (3.76)1 / 352
Title:Ivanhoe (Wordsworth Classics)
Authors:Sir Walter Scott
Info:Wordsworth Editions Ltd (1995), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 464 pages
Collections:Bookcrossing, 1001 Books Read, 1001 Books - 2010, 11 in 11
Tags:11 in 11, 11 in 11 - Read, 11 in 11 - History, 1001 Book

Ivanhoe by Walter Scott (1819)

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas père (SandSing7)
    The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas (LamontCranston)
    The Once and Future King by T. H. White (LamontCranston)
    The Black Arrow by Robert Louis Stevenson (something_)
    A Search for the King by Gore Vidal (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: A light historical novel about what was happening with Richard in captivity while Ivanhoe is trying to keep England from falling apart.
    World Without End by Ken Follett (mcenroeucsb)

English (66)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  All languages (70)
IVANHOE, by Sir Walter Scott, is a great little story set in Medieval England. The title character is the disowned son of Cedric the Saxon and in the beginning of the story Ivanhoe is returning to his home ground, hiding his identity behind a knight’s helmet.
There is plenty of action with lists (knights fighting each other as entertainment), kidnappings, rescues, damsels in distress, arson, feasting, and the storming of castles. In fact, the storming of the castle was one of the best parts.
At first the style in which the characters speak took some getting used to. I liked the humor and wit of Wamba the Jester. I disliked the anti-climatic ending and think that the fate of Brian de Bois-Guilbert was a cop-out. Still, I would recommend this book for anyone interested in Medieval times. ( )
  BooksOn23rd | Nov 25, 2015 |
An interesting read for me as Ivanhoe is often credited as the progenitor of the historical fiction genre, which I enjoy. I didn't love it, but was happy to have read it. Some of the issues I had were:

Some, but not all, parts of the story were a little tame. I think this might be because in our era we've become inured to violence which is much more graphic and widely accepted in books, TV, movies and video games.

I was glad to read this on my Kindle so I had instant access to a dictionary and Google. Many of the words I looked up were not found. I wasn't sure if this was because of the language during Scott's era or if he tried to use medieval language. My Googling ended up slowing down my reading as I became sidetracked learning about the Normans, Crusades, the Plantagents and many other interesting bits of research.

The anti-semetism and role of women was very thought provoking and quite a contrast from our current era.

I was unsure Scott's narrative method entirely worked for me:
Example 1: using a third party to describe action (Rebecca's retelling of the assault on the castle)

Example 2: slowing down the progress of the story to go back and fill in parts of prior events of some of the characters.

I didn't think the "Merry Men" were adequately identified and Richard the Lion Heart was too saintly.

On the plus side:
The Tournament and battle scenes were very well written and engaging.
The twisty resurrection was innovative.
It's quite a complex plot, and understandable in spite of the archaic language.

All in all, it deserves its place in classic literature, but perhaps not a "wow" for me. ( )
  Zumbanista | Nov 1, 2015 |
(18) This is the time of year I pick one book I have read in the past to reread. In this case, I went way back to the past and picked one that was read aloud in my 7th grade or possibly 8th grade English class so what is that - over 30 years ago? Despite the fact that I love Sharon Kay Penman and her historical novels of this time, this was painful to me. It just took me forever to get into it and it was overall quite juvenile.

I guessed who the knights errant were (although of course I had read it before, I felt as if I remembered nothing.) I vaguely remembered the origins of Robin Hood. I have misty recollections of watching Elizabeths Taylor's Rebecca's horrified and lovely mien during Ivanhoe's trancing about the lists. I don't know, there is nothing more painful even to a lover of historical fiction and verbose English literature of the 19th century than attempting to engage with a writer of the latter trying to mimic the diction of Medieval England.

Overall, a bit of a dud. Bois-Guilbert's anti-climactic ending was a bit of a cop out. Rebecca just slunk away and really was the heroine as opposed to Rowena. The more fiery love story would have been between Rebecca and the Templar. And Robin Hood and his merry men were boring with their incessant song and drink. I did enjoy the depiction of the Knights Templars and would have appreciated more history in that regard. Not sure why I picked this to reread but perhaps it was an interesting choice for a 7th grade class to read aloud. In retrospect, it must have had some effect on me for me to have thought about all these years later.. ( )
  jhowell | Jun 17, 2015 |
Gurth and Wamba son of Witless. How can one forget adventures with characters like these. Add in a few damsels in distress, saving England from a tyrant, knights that will not compromise right, and some cool jousting make this a rousing and fun medieval tale. ( )
1 vote Chris_El | Mar 19, 2015 |
Sir Walter Scott is credited with having invented the historical novel, and his Waverley series of books were the first critical and commercially successful stories to feature fictional characters alongside historical figures, and participating in actual events.

In Ivanhoe he revisited that formula, featuring a vivid cast of fictional characters interacting with King John and his Norman barons in England in 1194. The basic story is fairly straightforward, almost to the point of being predictable (though that might not have been the case in 1820): having been disowned and disinherited by his ferociously Saxon father for pledging loyalty to the Norman king, Richard I (of Lionheart fame), Wilfred of Ivanhoe leaves England to join the ill-fated Third Crusade where he covers himself in glory, battling valiantly against the Saracen. He returns to England, travelling in disguise to a major tournament in Ashby de la Zouch where, fighting incognito under the alias The Disinherited Knight, he emerges victorious on the first day after humiliating a host of proud but ineffectual Norman Barons. On the second day he fares almost as well, though the show is stolen by another anonymous knight clad in black armour who, having vanquished more Norman barons, disappears into the crowd, rather like the Lone Rnager leaving confusion in his wake as people ask, 'Who was that masked man?'

There are, however, a host of other complications to the plot, and Scott manages to keep the reader's attention firmly riveted to the book. He captures the feel of the Middle Ages, and even the plethora of details about the technicalities of armour, horseback warfare and estate management in the twelfth century fail to deflect the reader's interest. Given that this was published very early on in the history of the novel as a popular art form it seems surprisingly up to date. I had started reading it with a certain trepidation, and perhaps more from a sense of duty than with the expectation of much enjoyment, but it proved to be most entertaining. ( )
  Eyejaybee | Aug 27, 2014 |

Page, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Richards, G. M.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tulloch, GrahamIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilson, Edward A.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In that pleasant district of merry England which is watered by the river Don, there extended in ancient times a large forest, covering the greater part of the beautiful hills and valleys which lie between Sheffield and the pleasant town of Doncaster. The remains of this extensive wood are still to be seen at the noble seats of Wentworth, of Warncliffe Park, and around Rotherham. Here haunted of yore the fabulous Dragon of Wantley; here were fought many of the most desperate battles during the Civil Wars of the Roses; and here also flourished in ancient times those bands of gallant outlaws, whose deeds have been rendered so popular in English song.
This is the main work for Ivanhoe, by Sir Walter Scott. Please do not combine with any adaptation, abridgement, etc.

"Ivanhoe" (1819) was the first of Scott's novels to adopt a purely English subject and was also his first attempt to combine history and romance, which later influenced Victorian medievalism. Set at the time of the Norman Conquest, "Ivanhoe" returns from the Crusades to claim his inheritance and the love of Rowena and becomes involved in the struggle between Richard Coeur de Lion and his Norman brother John. The gripping narrative is structured by a series of conflicts: Saxon versus Norman, Christian versus Jew, men versus women, played out against Scott's unflinching moral realism.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:21 -0400)

The epitome of the chivalric novel, Ivanhoe sweeps readers into Medieval England and the lives of a memorable cast of characters. Ivanhoe, a trusted ally of Richard-the-Lion-Hearted, returns from the Crusades to reclaim the inheritance his father denied him. Rebecca, a vibrant, beautiful Jewish woman is defended by Ivanhoe against a charge of witchcraft -- but it is Lady Rowena who is Ivanhoe's true love. The wicked Prince John plots to usurp England's throne, but two of the most popular heroes in all of English literature, Richard-the-Lion-Hearted and the well-loved famous outlaw, Robin Hood, team up to defeat the Normans and reagain the castle. The success of this novel lies with Scott's skillful blend of historic reality, chivalric romance, and high adventure.… (more)

Legacy Library: Sir Walter Scott

Sir Walter Scott has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Sir Walter Scott's legacy profile.

See Sir Walter Scott's author page.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140436588, 0451531361

Columbia University Press

An edition of this book was published by Columbia University Press.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,862,820 books! | Top bar: Always visible