dismiss

Everybody's Fool: A novel by Richard…

Everybody's Fool: A novel (original 2016; edition 2016)

by Richard Russo (Author)

"A best-selling and beloved author, at the very top of his game, now returns to North Bath, in upstate New York, and the characters who made Nobody's Fool, his third novel, his first great success. The irresistible Sully, who in the intervening years has come by some unexpected good fortune, is now staring down a VA cardiologist's estimate that he only has a year or two left, and he's busy as hell keeping the news from the most important people in his life: Ruth, the married woman he carried on with for years... the ultra-hapless Rub Squeers, who worries that he and Sully aren't still best friends. Sully's son and grandson, for whom he was mostly an absentee figure. Doug Raymer, now Chief of Police and still obsessing over the identity of the man his wife might have been having an affair with before she died in a freak accident. Bath's mayor, the former academic Gus Moynihan, who also has a pressing wife problems and then there's Carl Roebuck, whose lifelong run of failing upwards might now come to ruin. Everybody's Fool is filled with humor, heart, hard times, and characters who you can't help but love for all their faults. It is classic Russo and a crowning achievement from one of the greatest storytellers of our time"--… (more)
Member:Effinghamlibrarynh
Title:Everybody's Fool: A novel
Authors:Richard Russo (Author)
Info:Knopf (2016), Edition: First Edition, 496 pages

Everybody's Fool by Richard Russo (2016)

Kindle (Boston)
  mikeemcg | Jun 28, 2020 |
I'm so happy that I have another book to read about these wonderful characters.

I read from 11pm until 4am! Could nor pur it down.

I tried reading Empire Falls years ago and couldn't get into it. Definitely will try it again. ( )
  Alphawoman | Dec 13, 2019 |
Oddly funny and moving story

Oh, the humanity! From the bad stench, and unstable cemetery to the lowlife criminals, the small town of Bath is packed with memorable characters trying to stay one step ahead of disasters. ( )
  JoniMFisher | Sep 19, 2019 |
Take off about 10 years after nobody's fool. I bit slower, but finally picks up steam at the end. ( )
  addunn3 | Apr 30, 2019 |
What an awesome book. Sully is a bit older and his working parts are weaker. Part of Sully's charm is his consistency. While everyone around him changes and adjusts (sometimes badly), Sully saunters on, essentially the same no matter what happens to him, good or bad. He distrusts good luck and waits for his stupid streak to kick in. This is more of his story and the stories of the people in his life.

Once again, Russo writes a perfect small town upstate NY.

I'd like to see a third book in this series. I already miss the good citizens of North Bath, NY. ( )
  authenticjoy | Mar 29, 2019 |
For Howard Frank Mosher

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,810,642 books! | Top bar: Always visible