Light Science and Magic, Fourth Edition: An…

Light Science and Magic, Fourth Edition: An Introduction to Photographic… (edition 2011)

by Fil Hunter, Steven Biver, Paul Fuqua

Member:Klatoo
Title:Light Science and Magic, Fourth Edition: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting
Authors:Fil Hunter
Other authors:Steven Biver, Paul Fuqua
Info:Focal Press (2011), Edition: 4, Paperback, 326 pages
Tags:Photography

Light: Science and Magic by Fil Hunter

English (4)  Danish (1)  All languages (5)
Very useful introduction to the properties of light, reflection and photographic lighting
  jaygheiser | Jul 23, 2008 |
Best reading about lighting..and eye opener ( )
  fatma_qatar | May 15, 2008 |
One of the best photography books I've read. It's helped me understand the *science* behind photography, instead of just the art, and it's literally altered the way I see the world. (I now walk around and think, "Look! There's a direct reflection off my boot. To photograph that well, I need to move the light over there, or get a light large enough to completely fill the family of angles...")

The drawback for me right now is I don't do studio photography, nor with a 20-month-old will I be able to do studio photography any time soon. So it's a bit overkill for the photos I take everyday. ( )
  BrianDewey | Nov 19, 2007 |
The 2nd edition was great. I expect this to be just as good.
  eveso | Apr 27, 2007 |
"There are numerous photography books available and often it is difficult to make the right choice. 'Light Science and Magic' definitely stands out from the bunch.. This book can get very technical covering scientific end of how light works in all sorts of situations. Do not expect to read this resource like a novel, unless you are like me and thrive on technical end of photography. However the book is not created for photography rocket scientists only. It's designed the way that even complex concepts are illustrated in diagrams that any visual folks can understand easily. 'Light Science and Magic' fourth edition was just released at the end of 2011. All the info is up to date!"
added by thebookpile | editLearnMyShot.com

"I have used the 3rd edition of this book when I teach. The 4th Edition improves on the earlier version and brings one "up-to-date." This is a text I'll continue to recommend. This is a book that all photographers should have in their library."
added by thebookpile | editLancaster Camera Club.org

"This new edition of the book is based on the behavior of light, and its principles that will not change because the fundamental physics does not. Light: Science & Magic is a book to deal adequately with how light behaves when it reflects from a surface and how the material making the subject determines the appearance of this reflection. This important understanding is not intended to enable photographer to shoot good pictures like those in this book but rather to transfer those images to any subject matter, using any equipment."
added by thebookpile | editNeoPopRealismJournal.com

"Over the past several years, manufacturers have swamped photographers with a seemingly endless flood of truly amazing gear. New generations of cameras, lighting gear, high-resolution printers, and sophisticated software have revolutionized how photographers work and think. This book provides reader with a comprehensive theory of the nature and principles of light. This 4th edition includes dozens of new photographs and lighting diagrams; new information on how to work with color gels, portable strobes, motion, and more."
added by thebookpile | editWetpaint.com

"This is the essential book for learning about how light and lighting works in photography. It is used as the textbook for many college photography studio lighting courses (which is how I discovered it, when taking a studio lighting course at CCSF). Even after taking the class and "mastering" all the exercises, I still re- read this book frequently, and am surprised at little tricks or nuances I never learned before, or learned and then forgot (because that particular thing doesn't come up with most of my photography work)."
added by thebookpile | editCoolTools

Fil Hunterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Biver, StevenAuthorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fuqua, PaulAuthorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

An amazing (and some would say magical) resource on photographic lighting that has been talked about in the community and recommended for years. This highly respected guide has been thoroughly updated and revised for content and design - it is now produced in full color! It introduces a logical theory of photographic lighting so if you are starting out in photography you will learn how to predict results before setting up lights. This is not primarily a how-to book with only set examples for you to copy. Rather, Light: Science and Magic provides you with a comprehensive theory of the nature and principles of light to allow you to use lighting to express your own creativity.

Numerous photographs and illustrations provide clear examples of the theories, while sidebars highlight special lighting questions. Expanded chapters on available light in portraiture, as well as new information on digital equipment and terminology make this a must have update!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:35 -0400)

This text introduces a logical theory of photographic lighting as fundamental as those we use for other aspects of photography. The book allows a photographer of one speciality to easily see how a different type of expertise might produce a given picture.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,116,929 books! | Top bar: Always visible