My Friend Rabbit by Eric Rohmann

My Friend Rabbit (original 2002; edition 2011)

by Eric Rohmann, Eric Rohmann (Illustrator)

Member:ogechukwu
Title:My Friend Rabbit
Authors:Eric Rohmann
Other authors:Eric Rohmann (Illustrator)
Info:Roaring Brook Press (2011), Edition: Enlarged, Paperback, 32 pages
Tags:picture Book, Caldecott award Winner

My Friend Rabbit by Eric Rohmann (2002)

"My Friend Rabbit," is different from any other book I have ever read, but I absolutely loved it. This book is about a mouse and a rabbit who are good friends. At the beginning of the story, the mouse states (in regards to the rabbit) "whatever he does, wherever he goes, trouble follows." The book then continues to go on about a toy plane getting stuck in a tree and the rabbit's wonderful idea to gather a bunch of very large animals (hippo, elephant, etc.) and stack them on top of each other to get the plane down. This book does not have a lot of text at all, and thus the major events that take place throughout the story are described solely through the illustrations. For Example, the small amount text that is in the book is explains how trouble always follows the rabbit, directly following this text there is a vivid illustration of a toy plane flying directly into a tree. Though the author does not say anything about the plane flying into the tree, the reader knows because of the illustrations. ( )
  EmilyEgert | Sep 16, 2014 |
My Friend Rabbit by, Eric Rohann

Summary:
This book has very few words but has a great story. It is a story about a rabbit that seems to get into trouble where ever he goes, although he always mean well. Rabbit’s toy plane gets stuck in a tree and in an effort to retrieve it rabbit devises a plan. His plan produces many large animals that he finds and then stacks on top of each other. When the animals still aren't tall enough to reach his plane he tries one more thing and lifts his mouse friend to the very top just in reach of the plane when all of a sudden the large animal tower falls and every animal beings falling. The plane is pulled loose in the midst of the chaos and rabbit is happy to have it back the animals are visibly upset with him for causing all of this commotion.

Personal Reaction:
I found this book very entertaining because of the very bright and bold pictures in it. Although there are not a lot of words the pictures do a great job of telling the story. This book would be wonderful for an early emergent reader who is still learning. My daughter who is nine even enjoyed the book as I read it to her.

Classroom extensions:
1. After reading the book to the class I could use the sequencing of which animal the rabbit got first for his animal tower and then which one was next and so on. This would be a great tool to measure comprehension and attentiveness of the students.
2. To add to the illustrated element to the book I would instruct students to draw a picture of their favorite toy and to write what they may do if it ever got stuck in a difficult place. This would encourage students to use problem solving skills as well as critical thinking and creative writing skills as well.
  km057441 | Sep 12, 2014 |
My Friend Rabbit is a cute and heartwarming story about two friends, Mouse and Rabbit. Although he means no harm, Rabbit is somehow always losing Mouse's things. The story follows an incident where Rabbit accidentally crashes Mouse's toy plane. Readers watch as Rabbit tries the funniest and ridiculous things to get Mouse's toy plane back. ( )
  SimoneAlexis | Sep 9, 2014 |
Another cute book for children learning how to read. We all have that one friend that means well but always somehow gets into trouble, and for this book its Rabbit!
  SRThompson | Sep 8, 2014 |
Summary: The tone of this book is set when it is showing how worried the rabbit is when the mouse gets stuck in the tree with the new airplane. This book is a caldecott award winner. The mouse and rabbit are the best of friends in this story but it takes a turn whenever the rabbit tests the mouse's new airplane and mouse claims that the rabbit always seems to get into a sticky situation somehow. When the airplane gets stuck. Rabbit promises Mouse he will come up with a plan to retreive him down from the tree. The Rabbit's bright idea was to begin gathering different animals and stacking them up one by one to climb up them and retreive the Mouse. The expressive pictures that are being shown in this story create wonders in childrens eyes (and in the readers). The Rabbit seems to be "strong" because he is constantly getting big animals to stack on top and he seems to not have any problem picking them up and stacking them on top. The pictures show creat imagery in this sense by the Rabbit grabbing these animals.
Personal Experience: I love any books that have animals in them and this book has a great tone and conveys more than just what the words are saying by providing pictures that are captivating.
Classroom Extension: Discuss with the class about situations the Rabbit gets in. Have one of the students read it to the class
  atinney16 | Jul 4, 2014 |
For Nicholas, Ethan, and William
My friend Rabbit means well.
But whatever he does, wherever he goes, trouble follows.

This was a cute little story about a mouse and his friend rabbit. Rabbit seems to always have trouble following him. Rabbit gets mouses toy plant stuck into a tree and make a the story fun by using other animals and retrieve the plane. Its a cute story with some lovely illustrations.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 031236752X, Paperback)

Product Description
When Mouse lets his best friend, Rabbit, play with his brand-new airplane, trouble isn't far behind.

A Look Inside My Friend Rabbit
(Click on Images to Enlarge)

"My friend Rabbit means well, but..." "Not to worry, Mouse, I've got an idea." The downside of a good idea "...wherever he goes, trouble follows"

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:26 -0400)

Something always seems to go wrong when Rabbit is around, but Mouse lets him play with his toy plane anyway because he is his good friend.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,804,238 books! | Top bar: Always visible