My Friend Rabbit by Eric Rohmann

My Friend Rabbit (original 2002; edition 2011)

by Eric Rohmann, Eric Rohmann (Illustrator)

1,087None7,626 (3.85)5
Member:ogechukwu
Title:My Friend Rabbit
Authors:Eric Rohmann
Other authors:Eric Rohmann (Illustrator)
Info:Roaring Brook Press (2011), Edition: Enlarged, Paperback, 32 pages
Tags:picture Book, Caldecott award Winner

My Friend Rabbit by Eric Rohmann (2002)

Rabbit gets into trouble playing with his friend Mouse when their toy airplane crashes into a tree high above. Rohmann's illustrations are eye-catching and expressive with bold colors accentuated by thick, dark linework. The story is charming, told mostly through images with little text that could appeal to a broad age range. Beginning readers can appreciate the story without being able to read, while older readers can still enjoy Rabbit's silly antics as he concocts a plan to get their airplane back. ( )
  Octokitten | Feb 17, 2014 |
Summary:
‘My Friend Rabbit’ is about a mouse who is friends with a rabbit who seems to always cause problems when around, but not on purpose. The mouse gets an airplane and lets the rabbit play with it. The airplane gets stuck in a tree and rabbit in determined to help. He brings over many animals to try to reach the plane but the pile falls before reaching the plane. The mouse is able to get the plane from the tree and fly’s down and picks up rabbit in his plane. The rabbit again try’s to help, but covers the mouse's eyes and they get stuck in a tree. Rabbit again tries to help and fails. Mouse never backs down on him even though rabbit seems to be a nuisance.

Personal Reaction:
I like this story because even though mouse knows when he is around rabbit something is bound to go wrong, he does not abandon him. This story makes me think of times when I’ve been the person who has tried to help in a situation and did even more damage than was already done. This story is also good because it is all about sharing, and children need to share. The story is very cute.

Extension Ideas:
1. I could have the class draw a picture of them and their favorite animal or friend and write a sentence or two on why they appreciate them.
2. The class could have a day where they bring a reasonable toy to school and share it with classmates, and again write a few sentences on why sharing is great.
3. The class could make their own toy airplanes and throw them around the room. ( )
  KendraAdams | Feb 11, 2014 |
Summary:
This book is about a rabbit and a mouse who are friends. The mouse receives an airplane as a present and he lets the rabbit play with it. The airplane gets stuck up in a tree and rabbit tries to help. The rabbit piles up different kinds of animals to try to reach the plane and then the pile comes crashing down just short of reaching the plane. The mouse hangs on and is able to release the plane from the tree. The mouse swoops down to the ground and picks up rabbit in his plane. The rabbit covers the mouse's eyes and now all three are stuck up in the tree. Rabbit has another idea to try and help. Trouble always seems to surface when rabbit is around, nearly everything goes wrong when he is around. The mouse doesn't let this bother him and continues to remain friends with rabbit despite what may go wrong. The intentions are good, however something always goes wrong.

Personal Reaction:
I really like the story. I can relate to this story because I have a friend who always tries to help and things usually end up worse than before. I still remain friends with this person. Like the story, the intentions are good, things just don't usually work very well. I also like this book because I like rabbits and stories about rabbits. I thought it was funny that the rabbit piled up all these huge animals to try and reach the plane. I also like the fact that the mouse continues to remain friends with the rabbit no matter what happens. I think this book teaches a good lesson about true friendship.

Extension Ideas:

1. Have the class write in a journal about what they think a good friendship requires. What does it mean to truly be a good friend? Have them relate their writings as a response to what they might have learned from this book.

2. Have the class get into pairs and come up with three ideas that they think would make a good friend. Share with the class as a whole and discuss the importance of being a good friend and how the mouse remained good friends with the rabbit despite the trouble that arises.

3. Have the class write a message to a friend and make a paper airplane and give the airplane with the message attached to a friend.
  spring.rainbow | Jan 29, 2014 |
Caldecott Winner 2003.

Wherever Rabbit goes trouble follows. He tries to help mouse get his plane out of a tree by piling all the animals on top of each other, but it doesn't work and the animals fall down. ( )
  Emelymac | Jan 15, 2014 |
This book is about a rabbit and his loyalty to his mouse friend. His friend mouse is always their for rabbit, no matter what happens. This shows the children that even though you mess up, loyalty is valuable.
  bmmander | Nov 26, 2013 |
For Nicholas, Ethan, and William
My friend Rabbit means well.
But whatever he does, wherever he goes, trouble follows.

This was a cute little story about a mouse and his friend rabbit. Rabbit seems to always have trouble following him. Rabbit gets mouses toy plant stuck into a tree and make a the story fun by using other animals and retrieve the plane. Its a cute story with some lovely illustrations.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 031236752X, Paperback)

Product Description
When Mouse lets his best friend, Rabbit, play with his brand-new airplane, trouble isn't far behind.

A Look Inside My Friend Rabbit
(Click on Images to Enlarge)

"My friend Rabbit means well, but..." "Not to worry, Mouse, I've got an idea." The downside of a good idea "...wherever he goes, trouble follows"

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:26 -0400)

Something always seems to go wrong when Rabbit is around, but Mouse lets him play with his toy plane anyway because he is his good friend.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,492,860 books! | Top bar: Always visible