My Friend Rabbit by Eric Rohmann

My Friend Rabbit (original 2002; edition 2011)

by Eric Rohmann, Eric Rohmann (Illustrator)

Member:ogechukwu
Title:My Friend Rabbit
Authors:Eric Rohmann
Other authors:Eric Rohmann (Illustrator)
Info:Roaring Brook Press (2011), Edition: Enlarged, Paperback, 32 pages
Tags:picture Book, Caldecott award Winner

My Friend Rabbit by Eric Rohmann (2002)

“My Friend Rabbit” is a story that is narrated by a mouse. The rabbit is always dragging trouble behind him. After Rabbit sends mouse’s airplane soaring up into a tree, that is where you begin to take in all of Rabbits ambitious intentions. They go through many different obstacles, or animals, to retrieve this plane. These animals stand as a ladder, or building blocks to reach the top of the tree. After ample amounts of attempts, and feathers flying along the way, the airplane falls from the tree. The story comes to a close of two friends forgiving.

I believe that this would be a great book to use in an art lesson, and a reading comprehension as well. The story teaches many lessons, and how to work together. So, the over all message that the students would be receiving would give room for deep discussion with the students. They can also take what they have learned into a Language Arts lesson over creative writing.
  AlanaLedford | Feb 1, 2016 |
My Friend Rabbit is a cute little book with very little words. It starts off telling the reader, “My friend Rabbit means well, but wherever he goes, whatever he does, trouble follows.” The story is being told by a mouse that is friends with Rabbit. The story starts off with Rabbit getting a toy plane stuck in a tree. The next few pages have no words, but have big and colorful pictures that will have children’s minds putting the story together in their own way. It’s very easy for the reader to see that Rabbit is gathering all different kinds of animals, some big and some small, in which he will find a way to get his toy plane down from the tree. Rabbit ended up stacking up the animals in order for mouse to climb to the top and grab the toy plane. Sure enough, trouble was around and when mouse tried grabbing the tree, the pile of animals lost their balance and all fell down. Luckily, they were able to grab the toy plane and fly around in it, but whenever Rabbit is around trouble always follows. On the last page, mouse and Rabbit who were flying in the plane, all got stuck in a tree. The pictures in this book were nice and big and very colorful. Something that caught my attention was the lines drawn around the characters to show that they were moving. I always knew that's what it meant, but I guess from just talking about it in class made me notice it even more. ( )
  lcrosby | Jan 27, 2016 |
My Friend Rabbit shows readers how friendships can last through mishaps by encouraging perspective taking. After playing with Mouse's new toy plane, Rabbit causes it to get stuck in a tree. Although he is determined to come up with a solution, mishaps continue to happen. Nevertheless, Mouse remains friends with Rabbit and demonstrates true friendship.

Much of the character development occurs through pictures illustrating their actions. The animals Rabbit calls on to help build a tower in order to reach the plan are flat, static characters because they have no unique traits and do not change. Rabbit and Mouse themselves are also flat and static because even though they are more prominent in terms of language, they have few traits (Rabbit causes trouble and Mouse is a loyal friend) and these traits do not change throughout the course of the story. However, because they are more prominent characters, they do have speaking lines and some of the characterization occurs through their speech.

GENRE: Fantasy

USE:
- have students write and illustrate another story about Rabbit and Mouse before presenting their story with the class
- develop classroom community by posing common "mishap" situations and asking students reason why the individual might "mean well" like Rabbit does
  sso14 | Jan 25, 2016 |
When Mouse lets his best friend, Rabbit, play with his brand-new airplane, trouble isn't far behind. From Caldecott Honor award winner Eric Rohmann comes a brand-new picture book about friends and toys and trouble, illustrated in robust, expressive prints.

My Friend Rabbit is the winner of the 2003 Caldecott Medal. (amazon)
  AmyStepaniuk | Oct 20, 2015 |
Summary: Mouse lets his best friend play with his new toy air plane eve though mouse knew trouble was not far behind with rabbit then he lost mouse airplane in the tree so rabbit got his friends to help get the airplane out the tree.

Personal: This story is very good kids will be able to relate because they all have friends that sometimes lose or brake their toys this story elements is about trouble, play, and friendship.

Extension: I will ask the children to act out the book and different parts. then we will talk about how we would react if there friend lost their toy.
  aja_cc | Sep 21, 2015 |
For Nicholas, Ethan, and William
My friend Rabbit means well.
But whatever he does, wherever he goes, trouble follows.

This was a cute little story about a mouse and his friend rabbit. Rabbit seems to always have trouble following him. Rabbit gets mouses toy plant stuck into a tree and make a the story fun by using other animals and retrieve the plane. Its a cute story with some lovely illustrations.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 031236752X, Paperback)

Product Description

A Look Inside My Friend Rabbit
(Click on Images to Enlarge)

"My friend Rabbit means well, but..." "Not to worry, Mouse, I've got an idea." The downside of a good idea "...wherever he goes, trouble follows"

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:30 -0400)

Something always seems to go wrong when Rabbit is around, but Mouse lets him play with his toy plane anyway because he is his good friend.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,121,739 books! | Top bar: Always visible