My Friend Rabbit by Eric Rohmann

My Friend Rabbit (original 2002; edition 2011)

by Eric Rohmann, Eric Rohmann (Illustrator)

Member:jaimie919
Title:My Friend Rabbit
Authors:Eric Rohmann
Other authors:Eric Rohmann (Illustrator)
Info:Roaring Brook Press (2011), Edition: Enlarged, Paperback, 32 pages
Rating:***
Tags:easy, problem solving, friendship

My Friend Rabbit by Eric Rohmann (2002)

Summary: The tone of this book is set when it is showing how worried the rabbit is when the mouse gets stuck in the tree with the new airplane. This book is a caldecott award winner. The mouse and rabbit are the best of friends in this story but it takes a turn whenever the rabbit tests the mouse's new airplane and mouse claims that the rabbit always seems to get into a sticky situation somehow. When the airplane gets stuck. Rabbit promises Mouse he will come up with a plan to retreive him down from the tree. The Rabbit's bright idea was to begin gathering different animals and stacking them up one by one to climb up them and retreive the Mouse. The expressive pictures that are being shown in this story create wonders in childrens eyes (and in the readers). The Rabbit seems to be "strong" because he is constantly getting big animals to stack on top and he seems to not have any problem picking them up and stacking them on top. The pictures show creat imagery in this sense by the Rabbit grabbing these animals.
Personal Experience: I love any books that have animals in them and this book has a great tone and conveys more than just what the words are saying by providing pictures that are captivating.
Classroom Extension: Discuss with the class about situations the Rabbit gets in. Have one of the students read it to the class
  atinney16 | Jul 4, 2014 |
Rohmann's illustrations are bold and fun. The way Mouse describes his friend, Rabbit, at the beginning and again at the end gives a real sense that their story goes on after the last page. Children will love the animal pictures and can maybe relate to Rabbit's well-meaning but trouble causing ways.

Writing ideas:
- Since he can't use the animals again, what do you think Rabbit's next idea might be for getting the plane out of the tree?
- Can you think of a time one of your friends got you into trouble? Without using any names, tell the story! ( )
  BrianEJanssen | Apr 30, 2014 |
Mouse lets his friend rabbit play with his plane. After doing this trouble happens. Mouse thinks that rabbit has all these ideas with good intentions but they always leads to trouble. I really enjoyed this adorable book. The illustrations make it fun and tell the story on rabbit's side. I would recommend for grades K-2. ( )
  Imandayeh | Apr 24, 2014 |
Rabbit gets into trouble playing with his friend Mouse when their toy airplane crashes into a tree high above. Rohmann's illustrations are eye-catching and expressive with bold colors accentuated by thick, dark linework. The story is charming, told mostly through images with little text that could appeal to a broad age range. Beginning readers can appreciate the story without being able to read, while older readers can still enjoy Rabbit's silly antics as he concocts a plan to get their airplane back. ( )
  Octokitten | Feb 17, 2014 |
Summary:
‘My Friend Rabbit’ is about a mouse who is friends with a rabbit who seems to always cause problems when around, but not on purpose. The mouse gets an airplane and lets the rabbit play with it. The airplane gets stuck in a tree and rabbit in determined to help. He brings over many animals to try to reach the plane but the pile falls before reaching the plane. The mouse is able to get the plane from the tree and fly’s down and picks up rabbit in his plane. The rabbit again try’s to help, but covers the mouse's eyes and they get stuck in a tree. Rabbit again tries to help and fails. Mouse never backs down on him even though rabbit seems to be a nuisance.

Personal Reaction:
I like this story because even though mouse knows when he is around rabbit something is bound to go wrong, he does not abandon him. This story makes me think of times when I’ve been the person who has tried to help in a situation and did even more damage than was already done. This story is also good because it is all about sharing, and children need to share. The story is very cute.

Extension Ideas:
1. I could have the class draw a picture of them and their favorite animal or friend and write a sentence or two on why they appreciate them.
2. The class could have a day where they bring a reasonable toy to school and share it with classmates, and again write a few sentences on why sharing is great.
3. The class could make their own toy airplanes and throw them around the room. ( )
  KendraAdams | Feb 11, 2014 |
For Nicholas, Ethan, and William
My friend Rabbit means well.
But whatever he does, wherever he goes, trouble follows.

This was a cute little story about a mouse and his friend rabbit. Rabbit seems to always have trouble following him. Rabbit gets mouses toy plant stuck into a tree and make a the story fun by using other animals and retrieve the plane. Its a cute story with some lovely illustrations.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 031236752X, Paperback)

Product Description
When Mouse lets his best friend, Rabbit, play with his brand-new airplane, trouble isn't far behind.

A Look Inside My Friend Rabbit
(Click on Images to Enlarge)

"My friend Rabbit means well, but..." "Not to worry, Mouse, I've got an idea." The downside of a good idea "...wherever he goes, trouble follows"

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:26 -0400)

Something always seems to go wrong when Rabbit is around, but Mouse lets him play with his toy plane anyway because he is his good friend.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,482,751 books! | Top bar: Always visible