You are not like other mothers by Angelika…

You are not like other mothers

by Angelika Schrobsdorff

German (2)  Spanish (2)  English (2)  Catalan (1)  All (7)
To some extent I don't know what to make of this book: is it fiction, a novel, or does it attempt to get closer to real life. Either way, it appears to be the story of the author's mother, Else, growing up in Berlin in the early 20th century, marrying her unsuitable boyfriend and having children with three different men. This was a readable book but it never quite engaged me fully. ( )
  mari_reads | Nov 2, 2014 |
I didn't realize that this was a fictionalized account of the author's family, focusing on her mother. I was expecting a novel, so I was a little disappointed with the book as a result.

The initial part of the book, maybe the first 150 pages or so, went along well enough. I actually liked the jumping between past and present, mainly because it was better done than in other books that have attempted it.

Unfortunately, my interest in the people and what happened to them petered out, around the time that Angelika was born. It felt like the writing became less interesting, more dry and flat, and I just didn't want to continue. ( )
  digitalmaven | Mar 28, 2013 |

Angelika Schrobsdorffprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rendall, StevenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Heute, am 30. Juni, ihrem Geburtstag, habe ich das schmale, hohe Büchlein aus meiner Truhe der Vergangenheit geholt.

Follows the life of a liberated Jewish woman who refuses to follow society's rules, lives life to the fullest, and has a child with each of the three men she loves, all as World War I, the Roaring Twenties, and Nazism take over Europe.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,468,986 books! | Top bar: Always visible