Piratica II: Return to Parrot Island by…

Piratica II: Return to Parrot Island

by Tanith Lee

Series: Piratica (2)

Sequels are always hard to talk about, but I’m going to do my best to avoid a lot of plot points.

I was excited for more Art and Felix…and Ebad and Honest…and Dirk and Whuskery (they are the bro-est of bros and possibly romantically involved, or at least easy to imagine that way, which is wonderful) and of course Plunqwette and Muck. The new crew members were too numerous and oddly-named for me to really absorb any of them, so at times it was hard to picture what was going on when new faces were involved. There’s also another female pirate, Mr. (Belladora) Bell, who adds a little tension between newly married Art and Phoenix. Goldie Girl is back as a low-key villain as well, and we meet a new face, Mary Hell.

The drama in this book mainly revolves around Art and Felix realizing they have different visions for their lives together and Art’s desperation to return to sea upsets Felix, especially because she’s involved herself in a war where casualties are inevitable. The couple also seems to have a lot of moments where they don’t understand each other, or really even stop and try to, and I think this added some realism to their relationship. Despite spending the first book together, they didn’t get to know all that much about each other and it makes sense that they might now question if they really are a good match.

Art is less of a wunderkind this time around – she’s unsure of herself and her judgments and she finds herself making mistakes. She thought she could avoid the war and somehow get back to the crew’s old adventures, but instead, finds herself in situations where she might have to break her rule about never taking a life or sinking another ship. Again, I think this gives Art more depth.

We get more perspectives in this book too, aside from just Art. Of course, there’s Felix again, but we get a look at what’s going on with the English naval officers, Parliament (which is actually called the House of Talking or something similar, lol) and even Muck!

I also want to add that the English naval ship names had me laughing. Here are some standout examples (playing on the idea that something happened when the captains, or whoever, were christening their ships, interrupting true names): Lily Achoo, Is That A Wasp, Ow Blast, I Knew I Shouldn’t Have Had That Last Sausage. Is That A Wasp gets me laughing the most because I can picture myself going to name a ship and then suddenly noticing a nearby bug. The end battle was a bit hard to follow because so many ships were involved and I really only cared about Art’s.

This is a solid sequel and if you enjoyed the first book, I recommend you keep reading. ( )
  MillieHennessy | Jul 16, 2017 |
This sequel to Piratica is not as good as the first but is still entertaining.
Art Blastside has settled down to life on shore but is not enjoying it particuarly. With Free England at war with the monarchial France, Art is offered a letter of marque and she jumps at the chance to return to her particular brand of piracy.
  alasen_reads | Jan 24, 2008 |
'We want that treasure and we'll have it - that's our point. You would just as soon save your lives, I reckon, and that's yours!'
Treasure Island, Robert Louis Stevenson
The author wishes to express great thanks to Kate Jarvis of the Maritime Museum, Greenwich - And also to the wonderful ship, the Cutty Sark - simply for being there.
For my husband and partner, John Kaiine, who has sailed so brilliantly through these voyages with me. With endless thanks, and love always.

Art Blastside has dodged the gallows and married her true love. But life ashore is too tame for a pirate queen, so she jumps at the chance to go to sea again. England is at war, and the government wants Art to use her talents against the French. Naval war is horrific, and her arch-nemesis is bent on revenge. What price is Art willing to pay for her life of freedom?

As gripping as the first Piratica, which Kirkus Reviews praised in a starred review as "a glorious roustabout of a tale," this book proves again why Tanith Lee is one of the world’s most popular fantasy writers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:47 -0400)

Art Blastside is bored with life ashore, so she jumps at the chance to return to sea.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,545,316 books! | Top bar: Always visible