Ninefox Gambit by Yoon Ha Lee

Ninefox Gambit

by Yoon Ha Lee

Series: The Machineries of Empire (Book 1)

Nope! ( )
  tntbeckyford | Feb 16, 2019 |
I struggled to start with, not being able either to visualise this whole calendrical rot thing or even grasp any kind of correspondence between how it's described and how the universe works. What possible physical law could cause the functions of a weapon to depend on how the calendar is designed?

But I managed to adjust my brain and got through this and read for Cheris and Jedao and that was fantastic: just the kind of "What is he really doing though?" twistiness I adore. ( )
  zeborah | Dec 16, 2018 |
I think that this book may very well be much better than what I experienced the first time that I read this book. Last week was a busy week for me; my parents were coming to visit, we were finishing up a move, and work was completely hectic. I read the first three-quarters of this book in whatever short bits of time I could eke out during the day, and in the half hour bits in bed before I dozed off. And to be perfectly honest, for that first bit, I didn't really care. I was very confused by the calendrical stuff, since I am not a math person. The characters were coherent, but weren't really grabbing my for some reason. On the other hand, though, I wasn't bored, and I didn't hate the book enough to stop reading, so I plowed on. And seriously, seriously, the last quarter of this book paid off for the whole first three quarters. I actually cried. All of a sudden I cared about the characters, about what they were trying to accomplish. Like, DEEPLY cared.

I'd probably recommend this book - and I definitely need to do a re-read some week where I'm not quite as stressed as I was last week. This is a book that requires some focused attention to get the most out of it. ( )
  VLarkinAnderson | Sep 24, 2018 |
Captain Kel Cheris is disgraced, having won a battle against heretics using unconventional tactics. Her only chance at redemption is to retake the star fortress called the Fortress of Scattered Needles, recently captured by heretics.

She has a plan. It's a desparate plan, involving reviving an undead tactician who has never lost a battle, General Shuos Jedao. Of course, in his original life, Jedao went mad and wiped out two armies, one of them his own, and he's a famous traitor, but if Cheris didn't believe in taking risks, she wouldn't be in this situation to begin with.

What follows is a battle of wits not just against the enemy, but against her chosen ally, Jedao, and even against the high command of the Hexarchate she serves. Because as vital as it is to retake the Fortress of Scattered Needles, lest the Hexarchate itself fall, they are strangely reluctant to share with her vital information that could make the difference between victory and defeat. She's fighting blind, and her only real ally is Jedao.

Jedao might be mad.

Or Jedao might be perfectly sane, and have her own agenda.

There's lots of action here; it's a campaign to retake a captured fortress. There's also a carefully textured unfolding of the characters of Cheris, Jedao, and the nature of the Hexarchate itself. The technology here calls to mind Clarke's Third Law, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic," and at the end of this first book of the trilogy, I'm not at all clear on exactly what calendrical heresy consists of. That's not really the point, though. The real questions here are whose values will prevail, and how Cheris can decide who to trust.

The characters and the challenges completely pulled me in. Recommended.

I bought this audiobook. ( )
  LisCarey | Sep 19, 2018 |
DNF at 25%

While I think scifi and military space stories are fun to watch, this didn't seem to translate for me in this novel. I got Star Wars and Enders Game feelings while reading it, along with advanced consciousness-transfer technology but I wasn't wholly into it so I am DNFing it at this time and moving on.
  christianeyoungberg | Aug 30, 2018 |

Lee, Yoon HaAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Moore, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zeller, Emily WooNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This one is for Yune Kyung Lee, best sister ever, who was there when everything began.
At Kel Academy, an instructor had explained to Cheris's class that the threshold winnower was a weapon of last resort, and not just for its notorious connotations.
The point of war is to rig the deck, drug the opponent, and threaten to kneecap their family if they don't fold.

When Captain Kel Cheris of the hexarchate is disgraced for her unconventional tactics, Kel Command gives her a chance to redeem herself, by retaking the Fortress of Scattered Needles from the heretics. Cheris's career isn't the only thing at stake: if the fortress falls, the hexarchate itself might be next.

As the siege wears on, Cheris must decide how far she can trust Jedao—because she might be his next victim.

Captain Kel Cheris of the hexarchate is disgraced for using unconventional methods in a battle against heretics. Kel Command gives her the opportunity to redeem herself by retaking the Fortress of Scattered Needles, a star fortress that has recently been captured by heretics. Cheris's career isn't the only thing at stake. If the fortress falls, the hexarchate itself might be next. Cheris's best hope is to ally with the undead tactician Shuos Jedao. The good news is that Jedao has never lost a battle, and he may be the only one who can figure out how to successfully besiege the fortress. The bad news is that Jedao went mad in his first life and massacred two armies, one of them his own. As the siege wears on, Cheris must decide how far she can trust Jedao--because she might be his next victim.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,505,113 books! | Top bar: Always visible