All the Single Ladies: Unmarried Women and…

by Rebecca Traister (Author)

4242036,455 (3.9)15
Member:RobynBachar
Title:All the Single Ladies: Unmarried Women and the Rise of an Independent Nation
Authors:Rebecca Traister (Author)
Info:Simon & Schuster (2016), Edition: Reprint, 368 pages
Collections:To read
Tags:non-fiction

All the Single Ladies: Unmarried Women and the Rise of an Independent Nation by Rebecca Traister

All the Single Ladies takes a look at the lives, the reasons and the impact of the rise of unmarried women. I enjoyed the book, being from the south in my mid-twenties I hear how I ought to be getting married soon and having kids, when I don't see my life going that way. This book doesn't shame married women, or women who marry young and have kids young, the book is much more about women having more options nowadays and we can choose when to do these things on our own time table and not societies expectations for us. I enjoyed how life for women is looked at from diverse angles like race, income, geographically, and sexual orientation. My only issue is this is nothing groundbreaking or new, it compiles a variety of known information together. I feel like the people who would most benefit from this book will never have any desire to read it and the people who do read it will already know most of this information. I enjoyed the book and agreed with much of it, but it was nothing new. 3.5/5 stars. ( )
  wellreadcatlady | Oct 4, 2018 |
Firstly I would like to say - EVERY WOMAN SHOULD READ THIS BOOK.

This book was incredibly well researched as well as being nicely written. Each subject often starts with a story about a woman that the author has either met or researched and then weaves supporting studies throughout.

In my opinion Traister does an excellent job of bringing her own tone to the writing and it is especially apparent when she is refuting any long held myths or misinformation that society has been laboring under.

This book gave me so much to think about and it definitely offers so many interesting alternatives to the "marriage, babies, housewife" equation that women, and men to a certain extent, are force fed as they grow. I found it particularly great to hear that while this may have been the "main" narrative for most of history - women have also been wandering away from this throughout most of history as well, this is just the first time that we've done it in such great numbers that society has finally had to make room in the main narrative for it (wooo!)

It's great to read a book that offers so many different stories that I'm sure anyone reading this book could find one that resonates with them and it's definitely given me another future to imagine, one that I feel extremely comfortable with. ( )
  LiteraryDream | Sep 30, 2018 |
Lots of great information, but I think the writing got bogged down with too many unrelated points and somewhat repetitive anecdotes. It's organized into different chapters, but as the book went on topics seemed to bleed through the whole book. For example, there's an entire chapter about motherhood, but motherhood is talked about so much throughout that it felt like a repeat by the time I read the motherhood chapter.

Still, there is a lot to chew on and I especially enjoyed learning about how marriage has evolved, and single women throughout history. ( )
  jrogoff | Sep 22, 2018 |
I really enjoyed this look at the increasing number of single women in society and how that has been treated historically, and how it is being treated today. Excellent information, that did not read like a report, very good on audiobook too. This is my second book by this author this year, and I will be looking for more of her work in the future. ( )
  RivetedReaderMelissa | Mar 22, 2018 |
Good writing, but ultimately nothing really new. I had been excited for this book after hearing about it. Unfortunately, while Traister has an engaging, easy reading style (she's also a journalist), the material in the book isn't exactly groundbreaking or new information.

What I thought I was going to read (and liked the best) comes in brief snippets: Traister looking at the role of single women in recent US presidential elections and some of the reasons of why the voted the way they did (or not). Instead a lot the book was kind of...filler. There's a history of single women and some of the roles they've played in US history (some big names, some people you've probably never heard of), etc.

What really bored me was the anecdotes from various people (including herself). There's a review that loves that Ann Friedman and Aminatou Sow are in this book. I have absolutely no idea who these women are and really wasn't interested in their friendship. I mean, that's great if someone else is happy but in terms of what Traister was trying to get across I wasn't interested and didn't learn anything new. And while I respect and did like hearing some of the personal stories of women for different viewpoints and different experiences, it was a little too much. Like others I would have liked a little more analysis and less anecdotal stories.

I don't know, I suppose I was expecting something else/was fooled by the marketing. I think for someone less familiar with single women and the role they play this would be a good book.

A good book I really liked was 'Going Solo' by Eric Klinenberg, which is about the general trend of people (women or men) living alone. It's not quite in the same vein as it's not about women specifically, but if you're looking for something that has some similar themes that might be a good compliment (or even substitute) for this one.

Borrowed this from the library, which was right for me. Might make a good gift for the right person. ( )
  acciolibros | Feb 11, 2018 |

"Today, only twenty percent of Americans are wed by age twenty-nine, compared to nearly sixty percent in 1960. The Population Reference Bureau calls it a 'dramatic reversal.' [This book presents a] portrait of contemporary American life and how we got here, through the lens of the single American woman, covering class, race, [and] sexual orientation, and filled with ... anecdotes from ... contemporary and historical figures"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,829,765 books! | Top bar: Always visible