Groucho and Me by Groucho Marx

Groucho and Me

by Groucho Marx

His life from childhood through his TV show "You Bet Your Life." There are some musing on life subjects that struck me as very mild, some interesting background material, and lots of very funny stories. What I particularly liked was reading the stories and being able to hear his voice telling them. The mischief in the book serves mostly to remind us that this was a far more innocent age.

The copy I bought is a hardcover and appears to be a photographic reprint of the original edition. It lacks the introduction by James Thurber, and has a short selection of black and white photos at the beginning. ( )
  unclebob53703 | Jul 24, 2015 |
I've never liked autobiographies or biographies, for that matter, but I've read this one several times. It's filled to the brim with Groucho's wonderful wit. Wisecracks and abound, and Groucho brings humor to every situation. The books gives some really interesting information about the origins of the comedy family and their rise to fame. Groucho tells his story like only Groucho can. This is a must read for any Marx Brothers fan. I wish more autobiographies were written like this. ( )
  ChelseaRebman | Oct 12, 2012 |
This is the 1989 trade paper that i read n probably 1990 or so... might have been the first Hollywood bio i read, and i can't think of another to be honest.fun stuff, Groucho was great, even though i was scared of his movies when i was little (And pretty much still am). ( )
  BooksForDinner | Oct 3, 2011 |
An entertaining, anecdotal barrage of stories and observations from Groucho Marx. It's not a traditional autobiography - by which I mean linear - and that fits in perfectly with his own brand off off the wall and inimitable humor. ( )
  391 | Aug 22, 2011 |
For what it's worth this book is gratefully dedicated to these six masters without whose wiseand witty words my life would have been even duller: Robert Benchley, George S. Kaufman, Ring Lardner, S. J. Perelman, James Thurber, E. B. White.
The trouble with writing a book about yourself is that you can't fool around.

With impeccable timing, outrageous humor, irreverent wit, and a superb sense of the ridiculous, Groucho tells the saga of the Marx Brothers: the poverty of their childhood in New York's Upper East Side; the crooked world of small-time vaudeville (where they learned to carry blackjacks); how a pretzel magnate and the graceless dancer of his dreams led to the Marx Brothers' first Broadway hit, I'll Say She Is!; how the stock market crash in 1929 proved a godsend for Groucho (even though he lost nearly a quarter of a million dollars); the adventures of the Marx Brothers in Hollywood, the making of their hilarious films, and Groucho's triumphant television series,You Bet Your Life! Here is the life and lunatic times of the great eccentric genius, Groucho, a.k.a. Julius Henry Marx.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:01 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,881,760 books! | Top bar: Always visible