The Salmon of Doubt: Hitchhiking the Galaxy…

The Salmon of Doubt: Hitchhiking the Galaxy One Last Time (original 2002; edition 2005)

by Douglas Adams

Title:The Salmon of Doubt: Hitchhiking the Galaxy One Last Time
Authors:Douglas Adams
Info:Del Rey (2005), Mass Market Paperback, 292 pages

The Salmon of Doubt: Hitchhiking the Galaxy One Last Time by Douglas Adams (2002)

American Gods by Neil Gaiman (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: If you like the idea of gods walking among us mortals, read what Gaiman has to say about this.

It was with some trepidation that I added Douglas Adams' "The Salmon of Doubt" to my reading list. While I enjoyed "Hitchhiker" I found most of his following works didn't really live up to the original. But the completist in me won out and I decided to read this last volume, and found that I mostly enjoyed it.

The book is a collection of odds and ends, mostly, pulled from Adams' computer after his death. It includes humorous observations, essays, speeches and several chapters from an unfinished Dirk Gently novel.

I had a good chuckle over parts of the books -- particularly when Douglas' essays were personal and I actually liked the start of the Dirk Gently novel. I found the midsection, which mainly consisted of a series of essays on technology to be super boring though. Without that part, I'd probably give this a higher rating. ( )
  amerynth | Aug 23, 2016 |
I enjoyed the collection of interviews and shorter writings of Douglas Adams. Found the short piece of 'Salmon of Doubt' disappointing though that could be due to the incompleteness. ( )
  kale.dyer | Jun 3, 2016 |
Posthumously published books are always risky, because you are not getting the author's editing but that of someone else. Things found in the bottom of an author's drawer are also risky, because there may be a reason they were in the bottom of a drawer. That being said, this, while not being Adams at his finest, did include some excellent observations on life, the universe, and everything, along with some stuff that wasn't up to par. He might not have actually wanted this published, and certainly wasn't ready for the final bit, the bits of his last Dirk Gently novel, to be put out there. In fact, he stated himself (as acknowledged in this work) that he wasn't sure it should be Dirk Gently at all, because it was more like Hitchhiker's Guide. All in all, it was an easy read with a good bit of humor that would almost certainly didn't need to be published. The best parts were in the interviews, and those had already been published elsewhere, though not in a collection. If you are a die-hard Adams fan, it might be better to stick with the stuff he considered complete enough to publish, rather than this work which appeared to be an attempt to make more money from a dead author. ( )
  quantum_flapdoodle | May 29, 2016 |
I love Douglas Adams' writing but this is a tough collection to rate. It's very jumbled and the entries range from excellent to barely complete, which to be fair is the purpose of the book - being a collection of Adams' writings some of which, but not all, found on various hard drives etc after his death. Certainly the author cannot be blamed for the posthumous editing that went into this.

I also found it quite repetitive, with the same quotes surfacing a number of times in various guises, which led me to believe that Adams had a few stock stories that were endlessly repeated. I don't believe this is true of course but I wish that the editors were more attuned to how the thing would read once finished.

Of course one phrase that was repeated several times in the book was that in Adams' opinion The Salmon of Doubt extract contained herein would end up as a Hitchhiker book and not "Dirk Gently #3" as Goodreads insist on calling it. I managed to get them to add the word "included" to the series title but still, it's a little misleading. This is not DG3 or even HGTTG6 it's just the last collection of writings, both fiction and non, from a much-missed and talented man - although I think Adams would appreciate the irony of the need to label everything, however accurately. ( )
  MartynChuzz | Feb 22, 2016 |
This incredible book is actually a recolection of interviews, speechs, newspapers' articles by Douglas Adams and the manuscript of what the book "The Salmon of Doubt" would be if the author had not suffered an early death. It's pure genius... And although it's sad to think that such a man ended it gives me much joy to think that his words and thoughts will stay forever. This is a book for anytime. I can't wait to have my own copy. ( )
  Glaucialm | Feb 18, 2016 |

Tran, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wroe, NicholasPrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Polly
Dear Editor,
The sweat was dripping down by face and into my lap, making my clothes very wet and sticky.
“The following morning the weather was so foul it hardly deserved the name, and Dirk decided to call it Stanley instead. Stanley wasn’t a good downpour. Nothing wrong with a good downpour for clearing the air. Stanley was the sort of thing you needed a good downpour to clear the air of. Stanley was muggy, close, and oppressive, like some one large and sweaty pressed up against you in a tube train. Stanley didn’t rain, but every so often he dribbled on you. Dirk stood outside in the Stanley.”

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345455290, Mass Market Paperback)

On Friday, May 11, 2001, the world mourned the untimely passing of Douglas Adams, beloved creator of The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, dead of a heart attack at age forty-nine. Thankfully, in addition to a magnificent literary legacy—which includes seven novels and three co-authored works of nonfiction—Douglas left us something more. The book you are about to enjoy was rescued from his four computers, culled from an archive of chapters from his long-awaited novel-in-progress, as well as his short stories, speeches, articles, interviews, and letters.

In a way that none of his previous books could, The Salmon of Doubt provides the full, dazzling, laugh-out-loud experience of a journey through the galaxy as perceived by Douglas Adams. From a boy’s first love letter (to his favorite science fiction magazine) to the distinction of possessing a nose of heroic proportions; from climbing Kilimanjaro in a rhino costume to explaining why Americans can’t make a decent cup of tea; from lyrical tributes to the sublime pleasures found in music by Procol Harum, the Beatles, and Bach to the follies of his hopeless infatuation with technology; from fantastic, fictional forays into the private life of Genghis Khan to extended visits with Dirk Gently and Zaphod Beeblebrox: this is the vista from the elevated perch of one of the tallest, funniest, most brilliant, and most penetrating social critics and thinkers of our time.

Welcome to the wonderful mind of Douglas Adams.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:53 -0400)

From the unfathomable imagination of Douglas Adams, this is his internationally bestselling final book; a zany collection of essays, articles, anecdotes, and stories.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,770,180 books! | Top bar: Always visible