Brainless: The Lies and Lunacy of Ann…

Brainless: The Lies and Lunacy of Ann Coulter

by Joe Maguire

Ann Coulter is one of the more objectionable and shameless of the Republican far-right pundits. While I feel the ideal way to deal with her would be to ignore her (she thrives on the publicity, favorable or not-so-much, that accompanies her frequent outrageous spewings), her devout following makes that not possible. Maguire here examines many of her writings in the light of hard fact. It would be nice if her fans could read this book, but I don't think they tend to read too much outside their political comfort zone (I've read many of the books by Coulter, Limbaugh, Beck and others, although it's difficult to turn pages whilst holding one's nose). ( )
  burnit99 | Dec 13, 2010 |
Since political alliances affect one's view of this book, perhaps I should state that one of my friends once described me as a "conservative anarchist", and all my other friends thought that was very apt.

I applaud Maguire for his desire to denounce ad hominem attacks in place of substantive arguments and mindless partisanship instead of real consideration of the issues. One of the few criticisms that I have for the book is that he didn't adhere more firmly to that worthy goal and occasionally drifted into sounding partisan. At the end of the book he mentions that we should also avoid Coulter's equivalents on the left. Would he had though of that at the beginning: he sometimes overtly or covertly makes it clear that he objects not only to Coulter's tactics, but her political allegiances, which muddies his point. If I seem a bit stringent, it is because I support his call for careful, reasoned discourse. I have ignored Al Franken ever since reading Rush Limbaugh Is a Big Fat Idiot. The "idiot" part of the book was interesting, the "fat" part was embarrassing to read.

One might object that Maguire is making ad hominem attacks at times, but I accept it in this case since he is generally mirroring Coulter. One hopes that the person who thought Coulter was funny when making vicious, irrelevant personal remarks will see the matter differently when she is subjected to similar statements.

Maguire made a point of mentioning that Coulter has been engaged several times, although never married. I recently saw a video of someone else asking Coulter if that didn't violate "the sanctity of marraige." It was a weak point to begin with, and I hope that this silliness will not continue. I don't find it any more apropos to the issue than questions about gay marriage.

For most of the book, Maguire carefully documents are clearly points our Coulter's errors, meanness, and hypocrisy. It's a pretty damning expose.

I do have a few cavils. The alternate title to one of the chapters; "Under a series of men is not the only place she lies", isn't the most tasteful bit, and does make me wonder if Maguire, et al., are consistent in their standards when they more or less suggest that Coulter is a tramp. If he wants to make an issue of Coulter's apparent hypocrisy about sex, I applaud him. On the other hand, if he is going to make MORAL judgements about her sex life, I have to ask if he, and the people he quotes, apply the same standards to everyone. The sexual hypocrisy of conservatives like Jim Bakker and Jimmy Swaggert are well know. It seems to me that liberals, on the hand, often have a sudden attack of puritanism when it comes to their opponents, condemning conduct that they consider acceptable in their friends. It is fine to attack hypocrisy, it is fine to attack stupidity, but double standards are not acceptable.

A small correction, since this seems to be a point of confusion. One will find scientists saying the evolution is a fact. The Neo-Darwinian Synthesis (NDS), AKA modern Darwinism, is ONE theory of evolution, and not even the first, although the current favorite. For most intents and purposes, NDS, Darwinism and evolution are used interchangeably, but they are in fact different. Some scientists will argue that evolution is proven, and that it is the mechanism, as provided in the NDS, that is theoretical.

I have read very little of Coulter, finding her work viciously absurd and absurdly vicious; one consequence of reading this is that I have paid more attention to her writings and videos. The more I see, the more I think that Maguire is dead on.

I have been recommending this to almost everyone I know, and having read the library's copy intend to buy my own. I shall hope that this is a step towards making reasoned discourse fashionable. ( )
  juglicerr | Sep 1, 2009 |

She is an uncompromising apologist for the right and a hater of all things left. Is there anything she won't do or say to further her agenda? The answer is no.

Brainless: The Lies and Lunacy of Ann Coulter is an unbridled look at a woman who twists the truth, misleads, plays loose with facts and allusions, and has been accused of plagiarism in hammering home her logic-defying arguments.

Brainless illustrates the dangers, ironies, and hypocrisies of the Mistress of Malice. She spews her venom generously across the spectrum. Democrats and Liberals are just the beginning. If you're a woman (you shouldn't vote), gay (you're going to hell), a 9/11 widow (dancing on your murdered husband's grave) or Bill Clinton (slurs and charges too numerous to mention here), you will find yourself the object of her ire.

Now it's time to turn the tables and take a good hard look at the High Priestess of Hypocrisy. Journalist Joe Maguire takes apart her arguments, picks apart her agenda, and gives us a look at the psychology and background of the woman who has reduced public political and cultural debate to browbeating and name-calling.

Diligently researched (with source notes you can verify!), Maguire separates fact from myth and gives us an unvarnished look at the REAL Ann Coulter.

Let's face it. You don't ever want to read a book by Ann Coulter. Read this so you don't have to!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:09 -0400)

Illustrates the dangers and hypocrisies of Ann Coulter's arguments and insults, and discusses the psychology and background of the woman who has reduced public political and cultural debate to name-calling.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,083,685 books! | Top bar: Always visible