Oh My Goddess!: Wrong Number by Kosuke…

Oh My Goddess!: Wrong Number (edition 2002)

by Kosuke Fujishima

Member:KageSama
Title:Oh My Goddess!: Wrong Number
Authors:Kosuke Fujishima
Info:Dark Horse (2002), Paperback, 160 pages
Tags:Manga

Oh My Goddess!: Wrong Number by Kousuke Fujishima

This review is written with a GPL 4.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at WordPress, Blogspot, Librarything & Tumblr by Bookstooge’s Exalted Permission

Title: Wrong Number
Series: Oh My Goddess! #1
Author: Kosuke Fujishima
Rating: 4 of 5 Stars
Genre: Manga
Pages: 160
Format: Paper copy

Synopsis:

Keiichi Morisato dials the wrong number from his dorm room and ends up on the Goddess Hotline. Thinking it is a joke by his seniors, he wishes that the young woman who appears before him be his girlfriend forever. Belldandy is a real goddess and Keiichi's wish comes true. He and Bell are now part and parcel.

This leads to many hijinks, as the Ultimate Power does whatever it has to to keep them together.

Belldandy becomes a student at Nekomi Tech, where Keiichi is learning to become a mechanic/engineer/something. Suddenly, Keiichi has gone from Zero to Hero with the beautiful Belldandy at his side. Sadly, it's not all fun and games as jealously rears it head.

But between Keiichi just being a nice guy and Belldandy actually loving him and being a goddess, they'll work things out. But can Keiichi keep everyone from finding out that Bell is a goddess? And when the book ends, his little sister has just moved in with them.

My Thoughts:

This was just pure fun. It was light and fluffy and romantic and pretty much what every single guy wants to happen to him. Back in the day, this hit my romantic spot right on target, as I was short, thought I was a really nice guy and knew a couple of young ladies who I thought were goddesses.

Now, being married for just under a decade, this was still just as fun. I laughed out loud several times. Being written by a guy, about a guy, I think this will appeal to males more? It is really tough to tell though. I'd certainly recommend at least reading this book to check out if you like the over-arching idea.

The art is a little rough, but in the kind of way that gives it character and uniqueness, not in a slap-dash kind of way where it seems the manga-ka was drunk that day and couldn't be bothered. The piece I've included here is a great representative of the art style for this volume. Bell and Kei sitting on the roof of their temple/home. I'm going to try to include a sample from each volume so you can see the evolution of the art style as Fujishima grows more into his role as a mature manga-ka.

It is episodic. This was written chapter by chapter and released in a weekly or monthly magazine in Japan. Darkhorse just published the chapters in one book and there aren't clear dividing lines at all between chapters. In fact, there aren't chapters at all. Which can make it feel almost whiplash'y as you jump from one adventure straight into another. But hang on and you'll have a good time. A lot of info is thrown at you, such as Keiichi being at a tech school, having a sister, etc, etc, but it is never overwhelming. Belldandy is the bell of the manga and she always takes center stage.

I am really glad this was so fun.

★★★★☆ ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Nov 6, 2017 |
Technical support brings on a whole new meaning for college student Keichi Moristao when he accidentally dials the Goddess Technical Support Line. The beautiful goddess Belldandy appears at his side and tells Keichi that she will grant him one wish. Keichi, who has not had much luck with girls before, wishes that this real-life goddess could stay with him forever. His wish is granted and the trouble begins when Keichi learns that his wish is taken literally and that the goddess Belldandy can never leave his side. If she does, disastrous things will happen to him. Illustrated in remarkable detail, Oh My Goddess! Wrong Number combines both humor and romance and is a great read for those new to graphic novels. ( )
  lorireed | Nov 8, 2010 |
This is the 2002 Dark Horse edition of the manga, containing chapters 1-8. This is ISBN 1569716692. Please do not combine with other volume 1 volumes of the series, which contain chapters 1-9.

YA. Graphic novel. 11 yrs+.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,479,487 books! | Top bar: Always visible