Mouse Soup by Arnold Lobel

Mouse Soup (original 1977; edition 1983)

by Arnold Lobel, Arnold Lobel (Illustrator)

2,119254,452 (3.94)10
Member:srhbth
Title:Mouse Soup
Authors:Arnold Lobel
Other authors:Arnold Lobel (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (1983), Paperback, 64 pages
Tags:animals, childhood

Mouse Soup by Arnold Lobel (1977)

I read “Mouse Soup” by Arnold Lobel. In this story, a weasel took a mouse to make mouse soup. I feel this book is very funny. My favorite characters are the weasel and the mouse. My favorite part of the story is when the weasel turned the mouse upside-down. The illustrations were good and nice. I think I’m going to recommend this book to kids who like funny stories. I give this book five stars! - Bella Kim, Sunflower Class, February 2018
  RIS_Kids_Academy | Feb 20, 2018 |
I can read
  jhawn | Jul 31, 2017 |
Elementary
  SteppLibrary | Mar 6, 2017 |
In this cute and silly beginning reader, a young mouse is captured by a weasel who wants to eat him in his soup. To spare himself, the mouse borrows Scheherazade's trick and delays his fate with stories. He tells the weasel that everyone knows soup doesn't taste good without any stories in it, and tricks him into listening to four short stories. This set up creates a small anthology of mouse stories, which I appreciated because it is an unusual format to see in a beginning reader book. The stories are small, and the language is still simplified with easier vocabulary, so it is quite manageable for young readers. The four tales are short stories that use whimsy and humor to engage a child's attention, and all feature mice some way or other. Then, after sharing his stories with the weasel, the initial mouse wraps up the framing story by telling the weasel that to include the stories in his soup, he needs to add an object from each story. Of course, these items are painful or difficult to collect, and while the weasel is struggling to obtain them, the mouse sneaks out and heads back to his own cozy home, where he can finish his book in peace and safety. This is a nice, quick story that straddles the divide between beginning readers and beginning reader chapter books. It is an old classic in the children's literature world, but my daughters really liked it when we recently introduced it to them, so it has clearly stood the test of time. ( )
  nmhale | Aug 5, 2016 |
32 months - we have read a couple of other stories that are based on avoiding getting made into soup or stew. This one is an interesting take on it. The short stories are very strange and quirky. I want to gain a moral from them but there doesn't seem to be one. Certainly for an early learning book this is much more interesting than most. ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
A mouse sat under a tree.

Weasel is ready for his dinner, and poor Mouse is it. Can he stop the weasel from serving up mouse soup for supper?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:19 -0400)

A mouse convinces a weasel he needs the ingredients from several stories to make a tasty mouse soup.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,032,294 books! | Top bar: Always visible