Poetics (Ars Poetica) by Aristoteles

Poetics (Ars Poetica)

by Aristoteles

English (22)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (24)
I put this off for weeks and I regret it. ( )
  Jphotic | Mar 31, 2014 |
Specifically the Penguin Classics edition, with an excellent introductory essay by Malcolm Heath which outlines the themes, differing interpretations and problems of the text. With the caveat that Aristotle’s conception of tragedy is drama as performed in Ancient Greece, the actual text itself is thought provoking on the nature of drama itself, with many of the basics still applicable today. ( )
  JonArnold | Mar 4, 2014 |
I actually read an online version of this text provided by my teacher as part of my Introduction to Drama course, so this is not the same translation I'm writing about, but is the same work. I found the language to be difficult to follow at times, but there is certainly a lot of "meat" here. I could also recognize the importance of what was being said when it comes to analyzing drama and following its early evolution of form. I probably won't be reading it just for fun anytime soon, but I do feel it's an essential part of one's library if they wish to seriously study drama at all. ( )
  TiffanyAK | Oct 29, 2013 |
I need to read this more than once to digest. A friend mentioned that it helped for learning to write; especially plot. It did have some good insights into imitation and character and plot. ( )
  avogl | Jun 19, 2013 |
What makes a good story, analysis of various ways of constructing story, it would help if we all grasped language of story construction in terms of literary terms used. A good book from a very versatile Philosopher. ( )
  wonderperson | Mar 29, 2013 |

Aristotelesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ben, N. van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bremer, J.M.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Groh, FrantišekTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nahm, Milton C.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Telford, Kenneth A.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tyrwhitt, T.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Von der Dichtkunst selbst und von ihren Gattungen, welche Wirkung eine jede hat und wie man die Handlungen zusammenfügen muß, wenn die Dichtung gut sein soll, ferner aus wie vielen und was für Teilen eine Dichtung besteht, und ebenso auch von den anderen Dingen, die zu demselben Thema gehören, wollen wir hier handeln, indem wir der Sache gemäß zuerst das untersuchen, was das erste ist.

‘The plot is the source and the soul of tragedy’

In his near-contemporary account of Greek tragedy, Aristotle examines the dramatic elements of plot, character, language and spectacle that combine to produce pity and fear in the audience, and asks why we derive pleasure from this apparently painful process. Taking examples from the plays of Aeschylus, Sophocles and Euripides, the Poetics introduces into literary criticism such central concepts as mimesis (‘imitation’), hamartia (‘error’), and katharsis (‘purification’). Aristotle explains how the most effective tragedies rely on complication and resolution, recognition and reversals, centring on characters of heroic stature, idealized yet true to life. One of the most powerful, perceptive and influential works of criticism in Western literary history, the Poetics has informed serious thinking about drama ever since.

Malcolm Heath’s lucid English translation makes the Poetics fully accessible to the modern reader. It is accompanied by an extended introduction, which discusses the key concepts in detail and includes suggestions for further reading.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:50 -0400)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

McGill-Queen's University Press

Two editions of this book were published by McGill-Queen's University Press.

Editions: 0773516123, 0773516115

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,364,213 books! | Top bar: Always visible