Lady Knight by Tamora Pierce
adventure (36) children (15) children's (16) fantasy (488) female protagonist (15) fiction (158) heroine (16) juvenile (12) kel (17) Keladry (22) knighthood (17) knights (55) lady knight (12) magic (60) medieval (14) novel (16) own (14) pierce (19) Protector of the Small (96) Protector of the Small Series (17) read (39) series (58) sff (30) Tamora Pierce (52) teen (29) Tortall (147) war (22) YA (117) YA Fantasy (16) young adult (178)

Lovely as always. Which is a kind of funny thing to say about a book where the mood varies between fury, anxiety, grief, and blind stubborn determination (OK, flashes of excellent humor, happiness, and triump, but most of it is pretty grim). Still - as usual for a Pierce, the setting and the people are beautifully evoked; the tasks, both immediate and promised, are challenging and important; and the flow of events draws the reader along and deep into that world. Kel is set in charge of a refugee camp - oh, before she gets there, she attaches a small boy to her service (because he was being abused, and because he's useful to her. In that order). Tobe turns out to be very useful on a lot of levels, too. She's given the duty of commanding the camp because, unlike any of the other knights available, she will actually care about the refugees and work to protect and care for them, not just treat them as impedimenta - Wyldon demonstrates, again, that he has more depth than he's willing to show the world. She also has a prophesied task from the Chamber of the Ordeal, to deal with the mage who's creating the killing machines she's already fought. She struggles with the conflict of duties this raises; unfortunately, circumstances intervene until the conflict...doesn't go away, exactly, but shifts so that her choice is clear. Her expedition into enemy territory, with the cavalcade following her (in several senses) produces many of those flashes of humor; it's also got some of the grimmest, saddest scenes in the whole quartet. But a happy ending, for many. I really would like to see more of Kel, and Tobe, and all the rest of her crew - but for now, I think, I'll just have to imagine what happens to her. She is my favorite of the Tortallan heroes. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Feb 17, 2014 |
Keladry of Mindelan is assigned to command a refugee camp. Little does she know into what troubles this will lead. She has to build the camp, supervise the troops, organize and train the refugees to fight. Doubting her own ability doesn’t help. And when she leaves to report to her commanding officer only to return finding the enemy has attacked, she blames herself. The vision she saw in the Chamber of the Ordeal has come to fruition, and her target is clear. She must defeat the mage responsible for the horrible killing machines fueled by the spirits of dead children. Is she up to the task? Kel has to learn how to accept support from others as well as to trust her own talents. Lady Knight is an engaging story that will have you rooting for this strong but young female leader. ( )
  NancyJCohen | Jan 2, 2014 |
The first and last books in this series are the most notable (though the interim books are great as well). I love how Kel's story doesn't tie up all the loose ends. ( )
  Capnrandm | Apr 15, 2013 |
Listened to Listening Library CD edition narrated by Bernadette Dunne. I love this book; after thinking about it critically there are probably a few problems with it - Kel never really messes up, making her a little too perfect - but this quartet is still my favorite of Pierce's works so far. The characters are easy to care about, the preparation and running of a refugee camp is fascinating, and the action is well-paced. I'm sure it's just a matter of time until I read the whole quartet again. Previously read many times. ( )
  JenJ. | Mar 31, 2013 |
The Protector of the Small series is a high fantasy YA yarn set in Pierce's imaginary world of Tortall. Throughout the series we watched Keladry grow up. When we first met her as a little girl in First Test she was in her probationary year of knight-training, the first only female trainee in a century. When we catch up to her in Lady Knight she's a young woman who after eight years of training is finally knighted and has to deal with her first independent command--that of a refugee camp. This book is a mixture of thrilling action-adventure and coming of age tale--and about leadership. I love Keladry's growth throughout the series and particularly here. My favorite book of my favorite series by a favorite author. ( )
  LisaMaria_C | Oct 20, 2012 |

Tamora Pierceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dunne, BernadetteNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the people of New York City: I always knew the great sacrifice and kindness my neighbours are capable of, but now the rest of the world knows, too.
She lay with the comfortable black blanket of sleep wrapped around her.
"Mistresses, have you ever noticed that when we disagree with a male -- I hesitate to say 'man' -- or find ourselves in a position over males, the first comment they make is always about our reputations or our monthlies?" (Chapter 7, Tirrsmont Refugees, p.155)

"This is one of the knights who has come to defend the border - Lady Knight Keladry of Mindelan"

Kel is finally a knight. The first girl to make it in decades. She's dealt with the hazing and prejudice of her year-mates, and the terrifying Ordeal, the final test of a squire. Now she faces the real thing. Tortall is at war.

The Scanran raiders have united to form an army, and they're invading. Refugees are flooding away from the northern border, destitute and terrified, with stories of the fearsome metal creatures that the invaders have brought with them. Kel's post is to the border refugee camp - the Scanrans, and their monstrous weapons will be waiting for her...

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 037581471X, Mass Market Paperback)

In the final thrilling installment of Tamora Pierce's Protector of the Small series ( First Test, Page, and Squire), our sturdy young heroine, Keladry of Mindelan (a.k.a. Kel), has finally been knighted. Never one to rest on her laurels, Kel champs at the bit, ready to tackle the horrific magic killing devices she was shown in the Chamber of the Ordeal during her knighthood initiation. The huge, insectlike machines, "made of iron-coated giants' bones, chains, pulleys, dagger-fingers and -toes, and a long whiplike tail," feed on the souls of dead children and are systematically killing off the citizens and warriors of Tortall.

Thoroughly disgusted to discover that not only is she not going to be assigned a combat post, but she has been placed in charge of a refugee camp instead, Kel, in her usual noble, stoic way, swallows her disappointment and sets out being the best refugee camp commander possible. Of course, destiny has a way of sneaking up on a young woman like Kel, and soon she is fulfilling the ordeal the Chamber set out for her... and then some.

Tamora Pierce once again draws her legions of fans into her story, blending humor, pathos, exhilarating battles, and gripping drama with a very real, very appealing protagonist. It's easy to make war appear black and white, a matter of good versus evil. Pierce finds the shades of gray. (Ages 12 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:29 -0400)

When she became a knight, eighteen-year-old Kel hoped to be given a combat post, but instead she finds herself named commander of an outpost of refugees, where she must face the unnatural forces of the evil Balyce.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,583,203 books! | Top bar: Always visible