The Joy of Sex by Alex Comfort

The Joy of Sex (1972)

by Alex Comfort

English (7)  Hebrew (1)  All (8)
My husband (then my boyfriend) and I worked our way through this book back in 1976. Found some of the positions almost impossible to achieve then - would be totally impossible now, rofl! Groundbreaking in its day, seems incredibly tame now. ( )
  mlfhlibrarian | Nov 11, 2013 |
When I first surreptiously read this book as a teenage virgin, it seemed to me to be the very epitome of every daring and breathless thought that passed through my hormone-addled brain. The explicit pen drawings seemed so much more raunchy than photos, much more so even than the Playboy posters I had secretly stashed in my room. I only had to look at the book's (fairly innocuous) cover to be instantly swept into fantasies I hardly yet knew the meaning of. Now looking at it 30 years and an infinite amount of life experience later, it seems so disappointingly humdrum.. The world has moved, sex has moved on, and the drawings which were so arousing then now look like examples of 70's kitsch (beards and long hair, please!). However that doesnt take anything away from the book's enormous significance in its era. It was a revoiution, so controversial, so ground-breaking for many couples. Still in print, and still selling well, humdrum or not, it still rates as one of the most important books of the later 20th century. ( )
2 vote drmaf | Aug 8, 2013 |
Writer Kate Figes has chosen to discuss Alex Comfort's The Joy of Sex on FiveBooks as one of the top five on her subject - Sex and Marriage, saying that:

"It seems so innocent really now, all those daring explanations of S and M and positions, but it was before Aids and people were so optimistic. It was as though we’d discovered sex and free love."

The full interview is available here: http://five-books.com/interviews/kate-figes
  FiveBooks | Mar 9, 2010 |
I like the Joy of Sex. O yes. O God Yessss Yessss YESSSS. ( )
8 vote EnriqueFreeque | May 2, 2009 |
We sure did read a lot about sex in the seventies! ( )
1 vote debherter | Jan 29, 2009 |

Alex Comfortprimary authorall editionscalculated
Foss, ChrisIllustratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Raymond, CharlesIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A biologist-writer interested in human sexual behavior is asked to read many prospective books - admonitary, weird, religious, naive, conventional or just plain ignorant - all of them aiming to be helpful, and none of them getting the key quite right.
"Armpit: Classical site for kisses. Should on no account be shaved. Can be used instead of the palm to silence your partner at climax- if you use your palm, rub it over your own and your partner's armpit first."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 067121649X, Paperback)

The original Joy of Sex, published in 1979, became the lovemaking guide to intimate discovery and experimentation for a generation of adults. This updated, 30th-anniversary edition is a gorgeous, sensual book that will delight lovers, whether they're discovering sex or renewing passion. Purple print on pale pink and soft lilac pages lend a sensual air before you even start reading. Beautiful drawings (and a few color photographs) of young, smiling, coupling couples (heterosexual only) serve to graphically illustrate sexual positions and interactions. The facial expressions convey affection and tenderness as much as passion.

The nonjudgmental, gentle tone, aimed at both novice love makers and those looking to expand their sensual play, is lyrical and not at all sleazy. The updated content includes safe sex cautions and a section about AIDS. True, this new edition isn't updated enough to seem particularly "new" to readers who came of age with the original edition. The content is still exclusively heterosexual. Surprisingly, vibrators merit only one paragraph (while "foursomes and moresomes" get a full page), and lubricants are treated dismissively. But this book will appeal to a whole new generation of readers, and even readers who still own a lop-eared, 30-year-old Joy of Sex will find sensual sparks rekindled with this lovely new edition. --Joan Price

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:50 -0400)

Famous for helping couples discover how sex can be playful, erotic, and, most of all, pleasurable, "The Joy of Sex" revolutionized people's sex lives. Now fully updated and revised, this work once again sets the standard as the world's most trusted sex manual.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,535,655 books! | Top bar: Always visible