The Deception of the Emerald Ring by Lauren…

The Deception of the Emerald Ring

by Lauren Willig

First off, this book is way outside the zone of books that I normally read. I enjoyed the historical setting (1803 Ireland/London) and the characters. I really liked the development of the characters as well. The romance in this story was not off-putting or out of place and the characters always kept their heads when romantic moods struck them. They got understandably distracted a few times, but that was just realistic instead of having them completely ignore what had to be done instead.

Moore31 | Feb 25, 2018 |

Moore31 | Feb 25, 2018 |
This series is part The Scarlet Pimpernel and part romance novel. I wish it were MORE Scarlet Pimpernel and LESS romance novel, but what can you do?

Fun little women-spy romp around London and Ireland. ( )
  jennannej | Jul 13, 2017 |
After the fun, rollicking pace of the first two books in Willig's Pink Carnation series, this third installment had more of a muted build to the plot lines, the intrigue and the romance. The story did improve - especially with Willig bringing Jane and Gwen back as part of the main cast of characters for this latest espionage intrigue in Ireland. The forthright "call it like she sees it" Gwen is one of my favorite characters.... such a hoot and love how she brandishes her parasol and her tongue with barbed, non-nonsense acidity. Willig has a keen eye for drawing her historical heroines as intelligent, witty and feisty individuals capable of holding their own against unwanted advances from both society rakes and devious, deadly spies. I really like how each installment so far has involved a different "couple" to represent the historical espionage and romance part of the story, while the present day story consistently follows the "hopefully" budding romance between Eloise and Colin.

Another delightful adventure in 1800's Europe paired with a charming modern day chick-lit romance. ( )
  lkernagh | Mar 26, 2017 |
I am really enjoying this series. In this episode another member of the band of aristocratic spies finds himself inconveniently married to the sister of the woman he loves. Letty is the younger sister and the practical family "fixer." She isn't the sort to inspire poetry like her sister. She is short, round, outspoken, and completely unable to convincingly tell a lie. Geoff is a seasoned spy but more usually works in the background to prepare things for the more intrepid spies. They get together by accident but he persists in seeing Letty as some sort of schemer who wanted to trap him into marriage.

The two of them find themselves in Ireland just in time to thwart the 1803 Irish rebellion. Things are complicated by the interference of our hero Geoff's dastardly cousin and the mysterious and enigmatic Lord Vaughn who seems to be everywhere in this series.

Hurt feelings, misunderstandings and too much pride manage to keep our young lovers at odds for much of the story which is filled with action and danger and all sorts of mysterious characters.

In the present story line, Eloise finds herself obsessing over an absent Colin who turns up at the most inconvenient time - just as she is out on a blind date that was set up by her grandmother. What is so intriguing to me about this bridging story line is that only a couple of weeks have passed since Eloise met Colin. After following three romances in the historical time period, it feels like more time must have passed in the present day one.

I can't wait to read the next book in this series and am really glad that there are twelve books in the series. Looks like I have lots of enjoyable books in my future. ( )
  kmartin802 | May 9, 2016 |
To all my grandparents, with love.
A watched phone never rings.

Eloise Kelly has gotten into quite a bit of trouble since she started spying on the Pink Carnation and the Black Tulip-two of the deadliest spies to saunter the streets of nineteenth-century England and France.

Not only has she unearthed secrets that will rearrange history, she's dallied with Colin Selwick and sought out a romantic adventure all her own. Little does she know that she's about to uncover another fierce heroine running headlong into history.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:43 -0400)

Harvard grad student Eloise Kelly has gotten into quite a bit of trouble since she's been spying on the Pink Carnation and the Black Tuplip--two of the deadliest agents to saunter the streets of ninetheenth-century England and France. Not only has she been unearthing secrets that will rearrange history, but she's been dallying with Colin Selwick and looking for a romantic adventure all her own. Little does she know that she's about to uncover another fierce heroine running headlong into history. In June 1803, Letty Alsworthy attempts to prevent her sister's mindnight elopement--only to be accidentally whisked away herself. The scandal forces her into a hasty marriage with Geoffrey Pinchingdale-Snipe, who then decamps immediately to help the Pink Carnation quash a ring of Irish rebels let by the Balck Tulip. Not to be outdone, Letty steals away to the Emerald Isle herself, ready to learn a thing or two about espionage--and never imagining she might learn a few things about love along the way.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,743,169 books! | Top bar: Always visible