The Deception of the Emerald Ring by Lauren…

The Deception of the Emerald Ring (edition 2006)

by Lauren Willig

842None10,649 (3.74)52
Member:srearley
Title:The Deception of the Emerald Ring
Authors:Lauren Willig
Info:Dutton Adult (2006), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 400 pages
Rating:***

The Deception of the Emerald Ring by Lauren Willig

This was my least favorite book pf the series so far, largely because there was little about it that felt remotely believable.

1) Not the fact that the heroine *finally* admits to herself (realizes?) in the latter part of the book that she has loved her now-husband Geoffrey from a distance (in a sense of complete hopelessness, of course) for a long time. That little detail came much too late and with too little substance to feel valid.

2) Not the fact that Geoff had pursued Letty's older sister, Mary, for so long, but due to a case of wrong-place-wrong-time-mistaken-identity is forced to marry Letty instead of eloping with Mary as planned.

3) Not the fact that Letty is the polar opposite of her sly, insincere, older, thinner, arrestingly beautiful, more sophisticated sister, Mary (for whom Geoff has evinced an unrequited passion for more than one London season), in almost every conceivable way....but throw in Geoff's sudden and unannounced departure for Ireland (during his own wedding feast, no less), Letty's following him later that day (much to his displeasure), a little deception, a little spying and of course, a dead body (with more mistaken identity), and voila! Geoff realizes he has never really "seen" Letty before, and now he can't keep his eyes (or other body parts off of her). [Insert graphic belated wedding night sex scene -- which is, of course, completely "perfect" with absolutely no awkwardness. But no one has even mentioned the word "love."] So far each of the three books has contained at least one graphic scene (the first book contained two), and somehow the fact that the woman (girl) is giving herself up to a man that she isn't even remotely sure loves or wants her is irrelevant because it is such an earth-moving experience that leaves her wide-eyed in amazement. Ummm....no.

4) Nothing about the final resolution of the action in Ireland is believable. (Miss Gwen holds off several grown men with her pointy parasol? Really? Even though it does conceal a thin sword somewhere in the handle....again, no.)

At this point, I don't even remember (or much care) where we left modern-day couple Eloise and Colin in the he-loves-me-he-loves-me-not waltz. (Not with an kind of resolution, that's for certain.) ( )
  tarheel96 | Apr 11, 2014 |
The Deception of the Emerald Ring by Lauren Willig - Another enjoyable entry into the Pink Carnation series... though it just ends... abruptly... almost mid-thought... very disconcerting - don't they know they need to give more warning than that? shees! ( )
  dreamingbear | Feb 6, 2014 |
This low rating is a case of me not the author. I can't stand this particular trope and knew I wouldn't like it. But I want to keep on reading the series so I read it any way.

I find the HEA hard to buy into, but I guess Letty is a better woman than I. I really could not believe she was quoting love poems written to her sister when they are about to finally consummate their marriage. Not my thing at all. ( )
  CupcakeMom | Dec 11, 2013 |
Another fun entry in the Pink Carnation series. ( )
  CCleveland | Nov 27, 2013 |
Having just finished The Inferno and The Picture of Dorian Gray, I needed something frothy and fun. I've read the other two books in this series, so I knew this one should fit the bill. It did.

This time around, Letty Alsworthy finds herself in a very compromising position with her sister's suitor, Lord Geoffrey Pinchingdale. She also promptly finds herself married off to Geoff. He leaves for Ireland on their wedding night and the indomitable Letty follows him. She later finds out that Geoff is a spy working with the Pink Carnation to stop an uprising in Ireland.

That sounds very dry, but these books are a funny little delight to read. The dialogue is witty, the characters are always fun and likeable, and there's just the right balance of romance and action. I recommend them if you just need a fun little break. ( )
  JG_IntrovertedReader | Apr 3, 2013 |
To all my grandparents, with love.
A watched phone never rings.

Eloise Kelly has gotten into quite a bit of trouble since she started spying on the Pink Carnation and the Black Tulip-two of the deadliest spies to saunter the streets of nineteenth-century England and France.

Not only has she unearthed secrets that will rearrange history, she's dallied with Colin Selwick and sought out a romantic adventure all her own. Little does she know that she's about to uncover another fierce heroine running headlong into history.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:03:42 -0400)

Harvard grad student Eloise Kelly has gotten into quite a bit of trouble since she's been spying on the Pink Carnation and the Black Tuplip--two of the deadliest agents to saunter the streets of ninetheenth-century England and France. Not only has she been unearthing secrets that will rearrange history, but she's been dallying with Colin Selwick and looking for a romantic adventure all her own. Little does she know that she's about to uncover another fierce heroine running headlong into history. In June 1803, Letty Alsworthy attempts to prevent her sister's mindnight elopement--only to be accidentally whisked away herself. The scandal forces her into a hasty marriage with Geoffrey Pinchingdale-Snipe, who then decamps immediately to help the Pink Carnation quash a ring of Irish rebels let by the Balck Tulip. Not to be outdone, Letty steals away to the Emerald Isle herself, ready to learn a thing or two about espionage--and never imagining she might learn a few things about love along the way.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,478,397 books! | Top bar: Always visible