The Rules of Attraction by Bret Easton Ellis

The Rules of Attraction (1987)

by Bret Easton Ellis

English (22)  French (1)  All (23)
I could barely make my way through this. I hated all the characters so much. I wouldn't have read as much of it as I did if I wasn't having to read it for a class. I realize that that was probably in part the goal of the Ellis, but it left me completely apathetic about the outcome of the characters and the story. As soon as I finished reading it, I wanted to forget it, so I did. ( )
  AmyRogers | Sep 4, 2017 |
I'm such an Ellis fan after "American Psycho" ... I read this book when I was in a "reading slump" to get back in my groove and I'm so glad I did. The movie was a pretty accurate portrayal, even though some of the characters were combined. ( )
  DBrigandi | Jul 3, 2017 |
  DBrigandi | Jul 3, 2017 |
It took me awhile to get the hang of this book because there are a lot of narrators, and many of them seem similar (in the way that college kids are, so I suppose it's realistic). Some sections are straight story, some are stream of consciousness, but all tell a lot about the characters and the environment they live in. It's hard for me to review this book without comparing it to everything I've read lately. I just read Ellis' American Psycho, and while many of the characters are in both books, I was pleased that the subject matter and storytelling were drastically different. Many authors can't pull that off. I've also recently finished all three of Chad Kultgen's books, and people have said that he is ripping off Bret Easton Ellis. I can see similarities between this book and Kultgen's The Lie, but I have to say I enjoyed The Rules of Attraction a lot more, and thought it had more of a point than Kultgen's novel. Both authors, however, seem to have a problem with endings... ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
As funny and sad as Less Than Zero was exhausting and depressing ( )
2 vote champerdamper | Aug 13, 2014 |

Bret Easton Ellisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Davis, JonathanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fortgang, LaurenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gerard, DannyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The facts even when beaded on a chain, still did not have real order. Events did not flow. The facts were separate and haphazard and random even as they happened, episodic, broken, no smooth transitions, no sense of events unfolding from prior events--

Tim O'Brien

Going After Cacciato
For Phil Holmes
and it's a story that might bore you but you don't have to listen, she told me, because she always knew it was going to be like that, and it was, she thinks, her first year, or, actually weekend, really a Friday, in September, at Camden, and this was three or four years ago, and she got so drunk that she ended up in bed, lost her virginity (late, she was eighteen) in Lorna Slavin's room, because she was a Freshman and had a roommate and Lorna was, she remembers, a Senior or a Junior and usually sometimes at her boyfriend's place off-campus, to who she thought was a Sophomore Ceramics major but who was actually either some guy from N.Y.U., a film student, and up in New Hampshire just for The Dressed To Get Screwed party, or a townie.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 067978148X, Paperback)

Set at a small, affluent liberal-arts college in New England at the height of the Reagan 80s, The Rules of Attraction is a startlingly funny, kaleidoscopic novel about three students with no plans for the future--or even the present--who become entangled in a curious romantic triangle. Bret Easton Ellis trains his incisive gaze on the kids at self-consciously bohemian Camden College and treats their sexual posturings and agonies with a mixture of acrid hilarity and compassion while exposing the moral vacuum at the center of their lives.

Lauren changes boyfriends every time she changes majors and still pines for Victor who split for Europe months ago and she might or might not be writing anonymous love letter to ambivalent, hard-drinking Sean, a hopeless romantic who only has eyes for Lauren, even if he ends up in bed with half the campus, and Paul, Lauren's ex, forthrightly bisexual and whose passion masks a shrewd pragmatism. They waste time getting wasted, race from Thirsty Thursday Happy Hours to Dressed To Get Screwed parties to drinks at The Edge of the World or The Graveyard. The Rules of Attraction is a poignant, hilarious take on the death of romance.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:03 -0400)

Lauren, Sean, and Paul "waste time getting wasted and race from Thirsty Thurday Happy Hours to Dressed to Get Screwed parties to drinks at the End of the World."--Cover.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,395,659 books! | Top bar: Always visible