I Am Marc Chagall by Bimba Landmann

I Am Marc Chagall

by Bimba Landmann (Illustrator)

Other authors: Marc Chagall (Author)

This book is about Marc Chagall finally became an artist after it being his dream for so long. This would be a great book to show students that they can always follow their dreams no matter what anyone says. This is also a great resource to teach students how to write biographies or autobiographies. It will give students ideas about how to write about themselves or someone close to them. Grades: 2-4 ( )
  amassingale | Nov 25, 2015 |
This book was interesting. It told the life story of Marc Chagall in first person. The art was bold and vibrant, a sharp contrast to some of the story. The text was lively and interesting and help set the tone for the story. She loosely based her story on Chagall’s autobiography. I don’t know how invested children will be in his story. I doubt that they know who he is or why he’s famous. I do feel that this book gives them an opportunity to investigate his life. I think that in the hands of an art teacher, it could open a whole new world for some students. I would recommend this book for elementary students in grades 3-6. Lesson ideas include art class, and a biography lesson. ( )
  lalfonso | Mar 26, 2013 |
This book is loosely based on Marc Chagall's autobiography and is a description of Marc Chagall's early life and his growth as an artist. That is why this is a biography.
The illustrations in this book fit with the text and help tell the story. However, the media used is very busy and somewhat distracting.
Media: Mixed- Collage, photographs ( )
  Mluke04 | Oct 24, 2007 |
This picture book biography is loosely based on Marc Chagall's autobiography My Life. Beginning with his childhood in a small Russian farming town, Landmann details his early life, his family's observances of the Jewish holidays, his schooling, and the development of his artistic talent, despite being discouraged and unappreciated by his family and teachers. Chagall's experience in art school, his moves to Paris, Germany, and America, his marriage, and his involvement in the Russian Revolution are also included. The detailed, intricate three-dimensional mixed media illustrations are a collage of fabrics, metals, woods, papers, clay, photographs, and objects from nature. They do an incredible job of capturing the places and characters of Chagall's life and will delight readers through multiple readings and viewings. A timeline of Chagall's life is also included making this a wonderfully accessible, highly entertaining, and exceptional introduction to one of the greatest painters in the world. REVIEWED BY RACHEL KAMIN (TEMPLE ISRAEL LIBRARIES & MEDIA CENTER, WEST BLOOMFIELD, MI) ( )
  STBA | Aug 21, 2007 |
This unique book gives us an idea of what life was like for legendary artist, Marc Chagall. I couldn't understand why anyone would want to own his art until I read this book. I could then appreciate why he painted his world the way he did. It's almost as if he painted what was going on in his mind. I love the illustrations! They make the story all the more life-like. ( )
  AnnaScott | Jan 1, 2007 |

Landmann, BimbaIllustratorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chagall, MarcAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Joe Haberer

During prayers he would daydream; in school he was distracted; and at home he worried about what profession he should choose. But when the young Marc Chagall realized he had artistic talent, he translated his unusual way of looking at the world into color and shape. Chagall grew up, became a painter, and traveled the world, but he never forgot about his hometown of Vitebsk, Belarus, the place that shaped his character and inspired his art. This book, loosely based on Chagall's autobiography, gives readers a glimpse into the early life of one of the twentieth century's most significant painters. Landmann's charming three-dimensional mixed-media illustrations celebrate the colorful, the whimsical, and the extraordinary aspects of Chagall's life and work.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:51 -0400)

Presents a biography of the Russian artist from his point of view, detailing his struggle to find acceptance for his work and his why he chose the themes he did for his art.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,375,606 books! | Top bar: Always visible