Jane and the Ghosts of Netley by Stephanie…

Jane and the Ghosts of Netley

by Stephanie Barron

The ending!!! ( )
  margaret.pinard | Jul 24, 2014 |
Have ever read a book whose hero or heroine is someone you found yourself relating to on a deep level? Maybe you saw some of yourself in that person; or someone who you wished you were. Maybe that person represented a choice you made -- or one you wish you had or had not made. Regardless, it was a character whose shoes and dress you easily slipped into to live vicariously through their journeys with them. I've long loved and admired Jane Austen and Stephanie Barron's series has afforded me with an opportunity to see things through Jane's eyes. (Even if it is fiction.) And when Jane met Lord Harold Trowbridge, I met Lord Harold Trowbridge. And as Jane fell in love with him, I fell in love with him. In Jane and the Ghosts of Netley we both lose the man we secretly loved -- and who secretly loved us, back.

A short way into this book, I told someone that this was the first of Barron's Jane Austen mysteries that really grabbed me right from page one. I typically find myself slowly easing into the text, like stepping into a cold pool. This time, I was fully immersed from the start. From Jane being summoned to meet Lord Harold aboard a ship to her quick pain in finding that he needed help with "a conquest," to the slow unraveling of Lord Harold's true intentions and feelings for Jane and, finally, the agony of having to say goodbye just as love was requited and admitted. It isn't fair. And I do feel a bit heartbroken.

I quickly ran out to the library for the next book in the series, Jane and His Lordship's Legacy, but, I have to admit, the gild is off the rose for me a little bit. I'm definitely going to keep reading, but I will do it in Jane Austen fashion: with a heavy heart. ( )
  Jenna.Czaplewski | Jul 3, 2014 |
It is the fall of 1808 and Jane Austen and her family are in mourning after the sudden death of Elizabeth “Lizzy” Austen, the elegant and enchanting thirty-five year old wife of Jane’s elder brother Edward and mother of eleven children. To entertain the two eldest boys while they stay with her in Southampton, Jane takes them rowing up the Solent to the ruins of Netley Abbey, a Cistercian monastery long abandoned and now a picturesque ruin worthy of a Radcliffe Gothic novel, resplendent with tales of ghosts haunting its halls. Startled by a dark figure lurking in the shadows, Jane is called to immediately attend her friend aboard a Royal Naval vessel anchored nearby. It is an unusual request, but she cannot refuse any summons by the Gentleman Rogue. Yes, Gentle Readers. Lord Harold Trowbridge has re-appeared after two years without any communication with our dear Jane.

Her heart is aflutter and her keen mind piqued when he requests her assistance to spy upon a local lady of interest; the beautiful and cunning widow of a French merchant, Sophia Challoner, a Diamond of the First Water who trifled with Lord Trowbridge’s heart, flattering and deceiving him into revealing state secrets to pass along to aid Bonaparte’s cause. Having just returned from Portugal, she now resides at Netley Lodge adjacent to the ruined abbey. Jane’s assignment is to keep “a weathered eye on the activity of that house” and discover how Sophia dispatches her intelligence to France. To aid the investigation, Jane will befriend the dubious and dangerous lady while arson and murders a plenty puzzle the plot, – and Lord Harold and Jane take center stage in the investigation and secretly in each others hearts.

The seventh mystery in the series, Barron really hits her stride with more fluid language from Jane’s perspective, the intricate historical details of the Peninsular War against France, and the political intrigue that fuels spies and generates murder. Having so much dialogue devoted to Lord Harold and Jane is a delight, but readers will be disarmed by the concluding pages and dispatched into a crying jag that could take a week to recover from. This is a three hankie weepie that will startle and sear your soul. Great writing makes it all compelling and tragic. *sigh* Seven is definitely not a lucky number for Jane and the Gentleman Rogue. I loved every word, and hated the ending all the same. *sniff*

Laurel Ann, Austenprose ( )
  Austenprose | Jul 14, 2011 |
This is the best book so far in this wonderful series. It has everything from romance to murder to espionage to a great setting and, of course, wonderful characters. The book is set in and around the ruins of Netley Abbey which has its own ghosts over the years. Jane and her Gentleman Rogue are pulled into the intrigue surrounding Napoleon's quest to attack England. The port city where Jane is residing becomes a hotbed of intrigue and deception. When a British frigate under construction is set afire, and when the shipwright is found murdered with his throat slit, Jane knows that this is serious and that the love of her life is in grave danger. The book is carefully researched and true to historical happenings in and around this time in Regency England. Ms. Barron builds the suspense throughout the book right up until the very memorable ending. Ms. Barron's Jane Austen is very believable. She makes a first-rate sleuth! ( )
  Romonko | Jul 15, 2009 |
This was the most tragic of endings - how could it have been so??? While some of Jane's mysteries are more centered around greed and envy, periodically Ms. Barron returns us to the on-going war between England and France. When reading Jane Austen's novels, it is easy to forget the greater picture within which her stories existed. It has been enjoyable to have this historical flavor in these novels. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Apr 5, 2009 |
There are few prospects so replete with romantic possibility--so entirely suited to a soul trembling in morbid awe--as the ruins of an English abbey.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553584065, Mass Market Paperback)

In her seventh captivating adventure, Jane Austen finds her crime-solving mettle put to the test in a confounding case of intrigue, murder, and high treason. Among the haunted ruins of an ancient abbey, Jane is drawn into a shadow world of dangerous secrets and traitorous hearts where not only her life is at stake—but the fate of England.

As Jane Austen stands before the abandoned ruins of Netley Abbey, she imagines that ghosts really do haunt the centuries-old monastery. But the green-cloaked figure who startles her is all too human and he bears an unexpected missive from Lord Harold Trowbridge, one of the British government’s most trusted advisers—and a man who holds a high place in Jane’s life.Trowbridge tells Jane about a suspected traitor in their midst—and the disastrous consequences if she succeeds. But is Sophia Challoner, a beautiful widow with rumored ties to Emperor Bonaparte, really an agent of the enemy?

Dispatched to Netley Lodge, Jane sets about gaining the confidence of the mysterious and intriguing lady even as Trowbridge’s grim prediction bears fruit: a British frigate is set afire and its shipwright found with his throat cut.It’s clear that someone is waging a clandestine war of terror and murder. But before Jane can follow the trail of conspiracy to its source and unmask a calculating killer, the cold hand of murder will fall mercilessly yet again—and suddenly Jane may find herself dying for her country.

Elegantly intriguing, Jane and the Ghosts of Netley is a beautifully crafted novel of wit, character, and suspense that transports Jane and her many fans into a mystery of truly historical proportions—and a case that will test the amateur sleuth’s true colors under fire.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:31 -0400)

"As Jane Austen stands before the abandoned ruins of Netley Abbey, she imagines that ghosts really do haunt the centuries-old monastery. But the green-cloaked figure who startles her is all too human and he bears an unexpected missive from Lord Harold Trowbridge, one of the British government's most trusted advisers - and a man who holds a high place in Jane's life." "Trowbridge tells Jane about a suspected traitor in their midst - and the disastrous consequences if she succeeds. But is Sophia Challoner, a beautiful widow with rumored ties to Emperor Bonaparte, really an agent of the enemy? Dispatched to Netley Lodge, Jane sets about gaining the confidence of the mysterious and intriguing lady even as Trowbridge's grim prediction bears fruit: a British frigate is set afire and its shipwright found with his throat cut." "It's clear that someone is waging a clandestine war of terror and murder. But before Jane can follow the trail of conspiracy to its source and unmask a calculating killer, the cold hand of murder will fall mercilessly yet again - and suddenly Jane may find herself dying for her country."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,497,387 books! | Top bar: Always visible