The Romanov Prophecy by Steve Berry

The Romanov Prophecy (2004)

by Steve Berry

In 1917 Nicholas II, Tsar of Russia, was executed by revolutionaries. Now, in response to the collapse of the country's economy, the people have voted to instate a new Tsar, one who will be chosen from the descendents of Nicholas II. But a powerful group of Western businessmen want to make sure he is a candidate they can control, and hire African-American lawyer Miles Lord, with his knowledge of Russian language and history, to check the background of their chosen man. Miles is thrilled with his assignment ... until he becomes the target of an assassination attempt, and must run for his life, guided by a cryptic phrase penned by Rasputin, a bizarre prophecy that the Tsar will return to the throne and that Miles himself will see to it.… (more)

English (52)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (56)
A fairly typical action-thriller-based-on-real-historical-events.

On the positive side, it's a decent ride with plenty of action and intrigue, and I quite like books like this with real-life history as its back story - not just entertaining, but you can learn some history as well. The author includes some information at the back clarifying what details are real non-fiction history, and which are fictional, which I appreciate.

On the negative side, the basic premise - reinstating the Russian royalty - is rather weak, and it feels that the "recount the historical context so the reader knows what's going on" parts take up a bit too much space in the book. I understand the need for it, but it feels a bit verbose and just slightly tedious in this case.

If this sort of thing interests you, I'd suggest checking out Steve Berry's Cotton Malone series, and maybe skip over this one. ( )
  adam.currey | May 18, 2019 |
Interesting reading. I really enjoy Berry's books, they are excellent conspiracy fodder. ( )
  SMBrick | Feb 25, 2018 |
Journal Entry 9 by winggypsysmomwing from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Friday, August 28, 2009

8 out of 10
This is the second Steve Berry book I have read in a short time and I have enjoyed them both. This one deals with the old question of whether there were survivors when the Imperial family of Russia, the Romanovs, were massacred by the Communists. Berry's take on it is interesting and the pace is fast. One small quibble: for a book written in 2004 that supposedly takes place in the present i.e. 2004 there seemed to be remarkably little use of computers or the internet or cell phones. I know Russia was a little further behind than North America but I can't believe these technologies weren't available. ( )
  gypsysmom | Aug 9, 2017 |
Book Description
Ekaterinburg, Russia: July 16, 1918. Ten months have passed since Nicholas II's reign was cut short by revolutionaries. Tonight, the White Army advances on the town where the Tsar and his family are being held captive by the Bolsheviks. Nicholas dares to hope for salvation. Instead, the Romanovs are coldly and methodically executed.

Moscow: Present Day. Atlanta lawyer Miles Lord, fluent in Russian and well versed in the country's history, is thrilled to be in Moscow on the eve of such a momentous event. After the fall of Communism and a succession of weak governments, the Russian people have voted to bring back the monarchy. The new tsar will be chosen from the distant relatives of Nicholas II by a specially appointed commission, and Miles' job is to perform a background check on the Tsarist candidate favored by a powerful group of Western businessmen. But research quickly becomes the least of Miles' concerns when he is nearly killed by gunmen on a city plaza.

Suddenly Miles is racing across continents, shadowed by nefarious henchmen. At first, his only question is why people are pursuing him. But after a strange conversation with a mysterious Russian, who steers Miles toward the writings of Rasputin, he becomes desperate to know more most important, what really happened to the family of Russia's last tsar?

His only companion is Akilina Petrov, a Russian circus performer sympathetic to his struggle, and his only guide is a cryptic message from Rasputin that implies that the bloody night of so long ago is not the last chapter in the Romanovs' story . . . and that someone might even have survived the massacre. The prophecy's implications are earth-shattering not only for the future of the tsar and mother Russia, but also for Miles himself.

Steve Berry, national bestselling author of the phenomenal thriller The Amber Room, once again delves into rich historical fact to produce an explosive page-turner. In The Romanov Prophecy, the authentic and the speculative meld into a fascinating and exceptionally suspenseful work of fiction.

My Review
I have always been fascinated by the execution of the Romanovs and was not disappointed in Steve Berry's Romanov Prophecy. He did a great job weaving the historical facts and the prophecy of Rasputin with a bit of his imagination. I found this book to be very captivating as the twists and turns kept me riveted to the story until the very end. The characters were well-developed and the writing was excellent and well researched. I would highly recommend this book to those who love Russian history and I look forward to reading more from this author. ( )
  EadieB | Nov 22, 2016 |
DNF pg. 56

It wasn't exactly bad but it just didn't grab me.
  Elysianfield | Nov 16, 2016 |

Steve Berryprimary authorall editionscalculated
Michael, PaulNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ostrop, BarbaraÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Peters, JoachimÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russia -- a country in which things that just don't happen happen.
--Peter the Great
A year shall come of Russia's blackest dread; Then will the crown fall from the royal head, the throne of tsars will perish in the mud, The food of many will be death and blood.
-- Mikhail Lermontov (1830)
Russia: mysterious dark continent, "a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma" in Winston Churchill's phrase, remote, inaccessible to foreigners, inexplicable even to natives. That is the myth, encouraged by Russians themselves, who preferthat no one discover who they really are and how they really live.
--Robert Kaiser, Russia: The People and the Power(1984)
For all its trials, for all its mistakes, the story of Russia at the end of the [twentieth] century must be counted as a kind of revival, a resurrection.
--David Remnick, Resurrection: The Struggle for a New Russia (1997)
For Amy and Elizabeth
Alexandra, Empress of all Russia, turned from her bedside vigil as the door swung open, the first time in hours her gaze had been diverted from the pitiful child lying prone beneath the sheets.
ISBN 0345485793 is for The Charlemagne Pursuit

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,160,217 books! | Top bar: Always visible