The Little Green Witch by Barbara Barbieri…

The Little Green Witch

by Barbara Barbieri McGrath

Other authors: Martha Alexander (Illustrator)

(Review lost in move from GR.  This review for a reread.)  This is one of my favorite versions of one of my favorite tales - and I don't even like Halloween and I have no interest in revenge.  The only thing that some versions of the story have, that this doesn't, is the excuses made by the friends/ roommates.  The ghost, bat, and gremlin here are just plain lazy and rude.  And now I want pumpkin pie, even though it's July....) ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
The would be a different version of the little red hen. The story was the same plot just different characters and thing they were planting. It could be something you read around Halloween because they cave pumpkins in the book. It could be read year around though. ( )
  jforrest21 | Nov 25, 2014 |
This is a story about a little green witch and having to do all the work around the house. It teaches children that they have to help in order to receive the benefits of a task. It was cute, and a good life lesson. I think this book deserves four stars. ( )
  Trock33 | Nov 25, 2014 |
This book is a success of The Little Red Hen. The little green witch finds some pumpkin seeds. She decides to plant and water them but her friends wouldn't help her. She also carves and masks the pumpkins with no help also. The witch made the pie and her three friends came running when it was done. The witch insisted since she did all the work, she would be eating the pie alone and turned her friends into three hens. I could implement this book in the class around Halloween to help them better understand to always help a friend in need. ( )
  acreel | Sep 8, 2014 |
A ghost, a bat, a gremlin and a little green witch all live together in a twisted hollow tree in this Halloween adaptation of the classic folk-tale, The Little Red Hen. The ghost likes to float, the bat to hang, and the gremlin to nap, leaving the little green witch to do all the work. When she finds a bunch of pumpkin seeds, she tries to interest her friends in helping her plant, cultivate and harvest them, all to no avail. Of course, that doesn't stop the three layabouts from wanting some pumpkin pie, when the time comes!

Although I've given it only two stars, there were definitely things I enjoyed about The Little Green Witch, chief amongst them Barbara Barbieri McGrath's amusing narrative. She really has an ear for dialogue, and the three friends' various responses, each time they are asked to help the little green witch, won more than one chuckle, as did the ending. Unfortunately, Martha Alexander's somewhat scratchy illustrations did not appeal to me at all, making this one witchy picture-book I probably won't pick up again. Still, mileage varies, so someone with a different aesthetic sensibility might enjoy this. ( )
1 vote AbigailAdams26 | Apr 17, 2013 |

Barbara Barbieri McGrathprimary authorall editionscalculated
Alexander, MarthaIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

The little green witch's three friends are too lazy to help her tend the pumpkin seeds she has planted, but when they all want to eat the pumpkin pie that she makes, the witch exacts her revenge.

Charlesbridge

2 editions of this book were published by Charlesbridge.

Editions: 1580890423, 1580891535

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,433,358 books! | Top bar: Always visible