French Women For All Seasons: A Year of…

French Women For All Seasons: A Year of Secrets, Recipes, & Pleasure (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Mireille Guiliano (Author)

Series: French Women (2)

Packed with information on food, menus, stories and advice from wine to detoxing, from yoghurt to yoga, as well as beauty tips, this title is about how to savour the gastronomic and everyday joys of life - in moderation, and above all, with pleasure.
Member:ThePinkCook
Title:French Women For All Seasons: A Year of Secrets, Recipes, & Pleasure
Authors:Mireille Guiliano (Author)
Info:Chatto & Windus (2006), Edition: Edition Unstated, 400 pages

French Women for All Seasons: A Year of Secrets, Recipes, and Pleasure by Mireille Guiliano (2006)

Recently added byblissophist, private library, GenuineCloud, kmfiske, Dianecooker, Searley, doeternietoe

I seem to be on a run of books written by bossy people - first Joel Salatin and now Mireille Guiliano. I liked a lot of this book (I've not read her 'French women don't get fat' yet) - the parts about eating seasonally and the recipes particularly. But other bits seemed to shout 'smugness' at me in a loud (French-accented) voice. It's lovely that the author has homes in Provence and New York and that she is on good terms with the proprietors of a two-starred Michelin restaurant. But I could probably have continued living my single-homed existence just as happily if I hadn't known about those things.

And the instructions on how to wear scarves in various ways weren't useful without diagrams. I'm not sure they would have been useful with diagrams either, to be honest. Maybe I'm just never going to be a big scarf-wearer. ( )
  AJBraithwaite | Mar 31, 2013 |
I've read the first book and liked it better. Both advocate a very sensible approach to life and eating, most of which I strongly agree with and some of which I have put into practice in my own life. I think this one falls into snobbish territory. I'm not sure why the author felt the need to tell me patients (the flower) are overdone in landscape, but it's a turn off. If you can ignore the needlessly specific fashion advice and incessant french phrases, there's some good information here. ( )
  hjjugovic | May 19, 2009 |
very preachy and full of generalizations with a 'besserwisser' attitude ( )
  Niecierpek | Jul 25, 2008 |
More sensible ideas to maintain a healthy weight. ( )
  RefPenny | Jul 13, 2008 |

Belongs to Series

Live in each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each. Let them be your only diet drink and botanical medicines. - Henry David Thoreau
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times."

Guiliano serves up second helpings of her popular approach to healthy living in this gracious outing (following 2005's French Women Don't Get Fat
), framed with an emphasis on the pleasures of seasonality, local produce and personal style. Everything in moderation is this New York City–based Frenchwoman's secret to staying slim and bien dans sa peau
(comfortable in one's skin). Always with a mind to portion control, she presents weekly menus and over a hundred recipes organized by season and sauced with casual, idyllic culinary reminiscences. Some of her simple, appealing recipes tap her French origins (Potato Gratin à la Normande calls for apples and soft, ripe Pont l'Évêque cheese), others nod to Americanized calorie-conscious taste (Turkey Scaloppine with Pesto) and some recipes reflect her proximity to New York City's Union Square Greenmarket (sautéed fiddleheads). A holistic fitness strategy (e.g., cycling as a mode of transportation) remains a theme and Guilano expands l'art de vivre
to aging gracefully, entertaining and tying one's scarf with flair. The CEO of Champagne Veuve Clicquot, she also offers an excellent primer on wine. Guiliano's debut, which laid out a program, is more instructive, but the legions of readers fond of her encouraging, urbane voice will be happy to hear from her, though they won't learn any new secrets.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,701,492 books! | Top bar: Always visible