dismiss

Who Was Maya Angelou?

by Ellen Labrecque

Born in Missouri in 1928, Maya Angelou had a difficult childhood. Jim Crow laws segregated blacks and whites in the South. Her family life was unstable at times. But much like her poem, "Still I Rise," Angelou was able to lift herself out of her situation and flourish. She moved to California and became the first black and first female streetcar operator before following her interest in dance. She became a professional performer in her twenties and toured the U.S. and Europe as an opera star and calypso dancer. But Angelou's writing became her defining talent. Her poems and books, including "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings," brought her international acclaim.… (more)

Who Was Maya Angelou? is a kid- friendly chapter book highlighting the roller coaster of moments in Maya Angelou's life. Filled with illustrations and interesting twists and turns, this book was a page turner I could not sit down from start to finish. I would highly recommend this book for social studies when discussing equality and the many steps it took to get to where we are today. ( )
  oholland | Mar 14, 2020 |
In this biography I learned about the extraordinary life of Maya Angelou who was an author, poet, civil rights activist, playwright, actress, director, composer, singer and dancer. I learned about her sad past and despite all the bad times she believed that people can survive and learn to be happy.

I would teach this book to third grade on through adults. I would teach it when studying Maya Angelou, Black History Month, inspiring women, and biographies. Also to remind the kids that life can be difficult but people find happiness through it all. ( )
  JustineTeeter | Mar 4, 2018 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,927,253 books! | Top bar: Always visible