Sleepless in Manhattan by Sarah Morgan

Sleepless in Manhattan

by Sarah Morgan

Series: From Manhattan with Love (1)

I won a free Kindle copy of this book from a Goodreads.com giveaway.
Romantic comedies really aren't my thing, but it was a well written book with interesting characters. ( )
  kerryp | Nov 30, 2017 |
Gah! This was a difficult review to write, especially since this is an author I have always, hands down enjoyed from start to finish. But this was one of those reads where my focus was all over the place. I wish I could say I loved it, as there were moments I really did, but there were times I felt completely removed from what I was reading and found myself skimming.

It was hard for me to make a real connection with the main characters. It may have been due to all the side stories going on between each of their the family members and basically no development of their relationship as a couple.

This book is, however, a rom-com which had me chuckling. There were also many endearing and intimate moments, which gave me hope for a higher rating. I apologize for sounding totally wishy-washy at this point.

Here is a quick synopsis .....

Trying to stay incognito, Pippa boards a plane heading from LA to the small town of Ghost Falls, Utah, back home to her eccentric French grandmother, Phi, whom she adores. You see Pippa St. Amor is now known as "the woman America loves to hate." Her tv show was jerked off the air faster than you could blink, when Pippa went on a tirade calling the guest she was supposed to be making over "fat, ugly and unwanted!" It is You Tube's latest sensation. Ray, her supposed boyfriend, and the man she felt safe with, creatively edited the tape before airing, ensuring Pippa's success would plummet and make his tv ratings skyrocket. Someway, somehow, she has got to get her career back on track!

Hot, sexy, muscular, yet still unattached Matt Evans, does not believe for one minute Pippa willingly uttered those nasty words to the gray haired woman on tv. He has known Pippa since they were kids. He wished he could say he knew the gorgeous redhead intimately. For years now, every time Pippa would come home for a visit, they would do their dance of attraction around each other, but never acted upon it. Due to Pippa's professional setback, it looks like she will be staying for a much longer visit, and Matt is ready to see where their mutual attraction takes them.

Pippa and Matt enjoy an easy, steamy fling while she is in town trying to resurrect her career over twitter, but somehow Matt snuck in under the radar and captured Pippa's heart. She is torn between starring in her own tv show back in LA and the love of a really terrific man.

I would encourage you to read the many four and five star reviews posted, as I am in the minority camp.

*I received this book, via Netgalley, in exchange for an honest review* ( )
  KSchell | Jul 13, 2017 |
Sweet ( )
  Janicemo | Mar 5, 2017 |
Paige Walker has finally gained her independence. After spending her childhood in and out of surgery to repair a hole in her heart, she is determined to live life on her own terms. She and her two best friends, Eva and Frankie, busted out of their small hometown and are living and working together in New York City. Her older brother and his best friend (turned family friend) live nearby and things seem to be looking up. Heading into a meeting with her boss ready to urge her for a promotion, the last thing she expected to be was fired.

Her brother's best friend, Jake, has pushed her to her limit as long as they have known each other. Instead of jumping to protect her and fix things for her, he pushes her to start her own business with Frankie and Eva. Jake can help her and her new company get off the ground, but can Paige accept his help or try to do it on her own?

I received an ARC of the third book of this series, Miracle on 5th Avenue, a few weeks ago via NetGalley. Although that book could be read as a standalone (yay no cliffhangers!) I do wish that I had read this series in order. There were parts in this book that hinted at the third book. Since I had already read the third book, it was physically impossible for me not to squeal giddily at those hints. I have already purchased the second book in this series which I hope to read as soon as possible because this book also hinted at the next story. These hints were merely dropped along the way but did not hinder or distract the story of Paige and Jake at all.

Furthermore, these characters are unique which I appreciate as a reader. Each character is distinct in words and actions which led to humorous dialogue. Each character also has a powerful backstory that I am looking forward to reading more about in the next book. It is a steamy yet uplifting romance and it was fun getting to know each character!

For those who may be sensitive: there were several scenes that were sexual in nature. ( )
  JanJanFreeman | Nov 14, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this book. It was a fun read that kept me interested. I couldn't help feeling for what Paige went through as a kid and how it shaped her life and her families. It truly shows how when one person in a family is ill, it affects everyone.

I'm glad that Paige grew up strong and was able to finally make her life away from her family, and have a little independence that she sorely needed. When Paige loses her job she pulls herself up and takes charge of her life and becomes her own boss.

A big move, but one she's ready for.

You'll really enjoy how both Paige and Jake grow. Because Jake is Paige's brother Matt's friend he is taboo to her, and vice versa. But somethings the heart wants what the heart wants.

Of course at times I wasn't always a fan of Jake's attitude, but as the book progressed he got better. I'm really looking forward to the next book in this enjoyable series.

Reviewed for Romancing the Readers Blog:

Romancing the Readers Facebook Page:

ARC received for a honest review ( )
  AnnLorz | Jun 14, 2016 |

Sarah Morganprimary authorall editionscalculated
Woodward, JenniferReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Audio, HarlequinPublishersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0373789157, Mass Market Paperback)

USA TODAY bestselling author Sarah Morgan introduces a sizzling new trilogy about three best friends embracing life—and love—in Manhattan

Cool, calm and competent, events planner Paige Walker loves a challenge. After a childhood spent in and out of hospitals, she's now determined to prove herself—and where better to take the world by storm than in the exhilarating bustle of Manhattan? But when Paige is let go from the job she loves, she must face her biggest challenge of all—going it alone.

Except launching her own events company is nothing compared to hiding her outrageous crush on Jake Romano—her brother's best friend, New York's most in-demand date, and the only man to break her heart. When Jake offers Paige's fledgling company a big chance, their still-sizzling chemistry starts giving her sleepless nights. But can she convince the man who trusts no one to take a chance on forever?

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 05 Jan 2016 07:59:29 -0500)

Great friends. Amazing Apartment. An incredible job. Paige has ticked off every box on perfect New York life checklist. Until disaster strikes and instead of shimming further up the career ladder, Paige is packing up her desk. Her brother's best friend Jake might be the only person who can help her put her life back together. He also happens to be the boy she spent her teen years pining after, and Paige is determined not repeat her past mistakes. But the more time she spends with Jake, the more Paige realises the one thing that was missing from her world all along.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,564,261 books! | Top bar: Always visible