Sleepless in Manhattan by Sarah Morgan

Sleepless in Manhattan (edition 2016)

by Sarah Morgan

Member:trcovell
Title:Sleepless in Manhattan
Authors:Sarah Morgan
Info:Don Mills, Ontario, Canada : Harlequin HQN, [2016]

Sleepless in Manhattan by Sarah Morgan

Sweet ( )
  Janicemo | Mar 5, 2017 |
Paige Walker has finally gained her independence. After spending her childhood in and out of surgery to repair a hole in her heart, she is determined to live life on her own terms. She and her two best friends, Eva and Frankie, busted out of their small hometown and are living and working together in New York City. Her older brother and his best friend (turned family friend) live nearby and things seem to be looking up. Heading into a meeting with her boss ready to urge her for a promotion, the last thing she expected to be was fired.

Her brother's best friend, Jake, has pushed her to her limit as long as they have known each other. Instead of jumping to protect her and fix things for her, he pushes her to start her own business with Frankie and Eva. Jake can help her and her new company get off the ground, but can Paige accept his help or try to do it on her own?

I received an ARC of the third book of this series, Miracle on 5th Avenue, a few weeks ago via NetGalley. Although that book could be read as a standalone (yay no cliffhangers!) I do wish that I had read this series in order. There were parts in this book that hinted at the third book. Since I had already read the third book, it was physically impossible for me not to squeal giddily at those hints. I have already purchased the second book in this series which I hope to read as soon as possible because this book also hinted at the next story. These hints were merely dropped along the way but did not hinder or distract the story of Paige and Jake at all.

Furthermore, these characters are unique which I appreciate as a reader. Each character is distinct in words and actions which led to humorous dialogue. Each character also has a powerful backstory that I am looking forward to reading more about in the next book. It is a steamy yet uplifting romance and it was fun getting to know each character!

For those who may be sensitive: there were several scenes that were sexual in nature. ( )
  JanJanFreeman | Nov 14, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this book. It was a fun read that kept me interested. I couldn't help feeling for what Paige went through as a kid and how it shaped her life and her families. It truly shows how when one person in a family is ill, it affects everyone.

I'm glad that Paige grew up strong and was able to finally make her life away from her family, and have a little independence that she sorely needed. When Paige loses her job she pulls herself up and takes charge of her life and becomes her own boss.

A big move, but one she's ready for.

You'll really enjoy how both Paige and Jake grow. Because Jake is Paige's brother Matt's friend he is taboo to her, and vice versa. But somethings the heart wants what the heart wants.

Of course at times I wasn't always a fan of Jake's attitude, but as the book progressed he got better. I'm really looking forward to the next book in this enjoyable series.

Reviewed for Romancing the Readers Blog:

Romancing the Readers Facebook Page:

ARC received for a honest review ( )
  AnnLorz | Jun 14, 2016 |
Sleepless in Manhattan by Sarah Morgan is a 2016 HQN publication. I was provided a copy of this book by the publisher and Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

Romantic comedies! Who doesn’t love ‘Sleepless in Seattle’, or ‘When Harry Met Sally’?

This cute contemporary romance pays homage to the classics, while introducing us to a new series centered around best friends trying to start their own business in Manhattan.

This story places the spotlight on Paige, a vibrant young woman who survived a childhood riddled with illness and long hospital stays, due to a heart problem. Her condition caused her family to over protect her, especially her brother, Matt.

When Matt realizes Paige has a teenage crush on his best friend, Jake, he forbids Jake to act on it, so Paige makes the first move, with disastrous results.

Now, Paige is a confident career woman determined to make her own way without Matt or her parents, but she has never gotten over Jake, even though they constantly bicker and he goads her at every turn. But, when she loses her job, and decides to start her own business, Jake is the perfect person to ask for advice. so pushing her pride aside, Paige goes to Jake for help. Can she keep it on a professional level or will she finally seduce the man who has held her heart all this time?

Jake has done everything in his power to keep Paige at arm’s length, from breaking her teenage heart, to picking fights with her, but when she comes to him for help with her business, he finds his resolve melting away. But what about his promise to Matt?

I loved the quips that began each chapter and thought the idea of incorporating favorite romantic comedies into the story was a nice touch.

I don’t have a brother, but I know there is an unspoken rule about hitting on your best friend’s sister. This rule can cause a lot of heartache when a person has to give up the love of their life for the sake of their friendship.

In this case, Jake is not just trying to keep a promise to his best friend, he is also avoiding love at all cost, which is something he feels Paige deserves, so he tries to keep her at arm’s length. But is Jake’s nobility really a cloak for his own fear and cowardice?

The story has a lot of promise, but there were a few issues, such as the slow pacing, and lack of emotional connection between Jake and Paige. The story sagged a little here and there, and lost momentum a time or two, and with both characters working so hard to keep things fun and light without using any language suggesting commitment or love, it sucked the chemistry out of the relationship and failed to evoke any emotions from me. The conflict was flat and Jake’s reasoning, stemming from his mommy issues didn’t seem convincing to me.
His attitude improves a little as the story progresses, but his refusal to admit his love for Paige, even in his own mind or heart, kept me from warming up to him.

But, in true romantic comedy tradition, Jake redeems himself, which made it all worthwhile in the end.
This is a cute ode to romantic comedies, with some fun banter between friends, and a long overdue happy ever after, which is good enough for me. ( )
  gpangel | Jun 8, 2016 |
Paige Walker has been in love with Jake Romano for years but ever since she bared herself, literally, to him as a teenager and he rebuffed her she's kept all her emotions guarded with men. When Paige and her two best friends lose their jobs they decide, with Jake's urging, to open their own event planning business. Even though he avoids close contact with her he still comes through with help and advice for them. Since his best friend is Paige's brother he is always on guard with his feelings. This is a story of love, friendship and life in the big city for three single women. I love this story. Aside from the romantic angle it's a beautiful story of true friendship. I can't wait to read Eva and Frankie's stories. Sleepless In Manhattan will leave you feeling good and hopeful that there is a silver lining behind every dark cloud. I highly recommend reading this book as soon as you can. ( )
  LindaHenderson | Jun 2, 2016 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0373789157, Mass Market Paperback)

USA TODAY bestselling author Sarah Morgan introduces a sizzling new trilogy about three best friends embracing life—and love—in Manhattan

Cool, calm and competent, events planner Paige Walker loves a challenge. After a childhood spent in and out of hospitals, she's now determined to prove herself—and where better to take the world by storm than in the exhilarating bustle of Manhattan? But when Paige is let go from the job she loves, she must face her biggest challenge of all—going it alone.

Except launching her own events company is nothing compared to hiding her outrageous crush on Jake Romano—her brother's best friend, New York's most in-demand date, and the only man to break her heart. When Jake offers Paige's fledgling company a big chance, their still-sizzling chemistry starts giving her sleepless nights. But can she convince the man who trusts no one to take a chance on forever?

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 05 Jan 2016 07:59:29 -0500)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,412,536 books! | Top bar: Always visible