I Am No One by Patrick Flanery

I Am No One (2016)

by Patrick Flanery

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Honestly... I couldn't get into it. The writing was pretentious and I had no interest in going further than the first couple chapters. I've read enough bad books in my life. ( )
  fields.steph | Oct 8, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Jeremy O'Keefe is a professor, recently returned to NY after teaching abroad at Oxford for over a decade. Shortly after his arrival, he begins to feel like he is being followed and mysterious packages start to arrive. Is he crazy or is he being followed?

Spoiler!! It turns out, Jeremy is under heavy surveillance. The "why" of it doesn't even enter until 2/3 of the way through the book. Still it makes one wonder just how much of our "private" information is up for public viewing, or at least viewing by the powers that be. A valid question, but one that I didn't really want to explore via this book: it took way too long to meander there and it didn't help that I never liked the main character. Not a favorite. ( )
  Berly | Oct 2, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Okay I made the bad mistake of reading some reviews on this book so I kept putting of reading. Most of the reviews are not that good but i really liked this book. I looked forward to hearing the story unfold in the life of the professor and the intrusion into his life. Things that happen in his life make him wonder is this really happening or am I going crazy? It makes you realize how little privacy you have in everyday life with all the electronic gadgets, gps tracking and internet. Who's watching you right now? ( )
  Lainie911 | Jul 24, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Interesting concept, but I felt the writing could have been a little tighter. Sometimes it was confusing trying to figure out how things go together, but overall I did enjoy it. ( )
  HeatherMS | May 20, 2017 |
I have Pearl-ruled I Am No One, Patrick Flanery's latest novel, with great reluctance, as I found his Absolution to be one of the best novels of the 21st century I have read. I revisited my review of Absolution, and find that the strengths I noted in that novel were distinctly absent in I Am No One, at least as far as I took it. His sentences feel padded, wordy and awkward; his character belabors certain points ad nauseam to no apparent end; there is only the vaguest hint of what it's "about" and damn all has happened by page 78, where I gave up on it. I requested this last month from the ER list, but did not win it, and therefore grabbed it from the library. I note some of the LT reviews mention that "it gets better", or "the middle part is brilliant". Well, I just don't have the time or inclination to wade through the sludgy bits to get there, so I'm glad I do not feel obliged to finish it for the review.
August 2016
1 vote laytonwoman3rd | May 19, 2017 |
For AEV & GLF
At the time of my return to New York earlier this year I had been living in Oxford for more than a decade.

After a decade of living in England, Jeremy O'Keefe returns to New York, where he has been hired as a professor of German history at New York University. Though comfortable in his new life, and happy to be near his daughter once again, Jeremy continues to feel the quiet pangs of loneliness. Walking through the city at night, fe feels as though he could disappear and no one would even notice.

But soon, Jeremy's life begins taking strange turns; boxes containing records of his online activity are delivered to his apartment, a young man seems to be following him, and his elderly mother receives anonymous phone calls slandering her son. Why, he wonders, would anyone want to watch him so closely, and even more upsetting, why would they alert him to the fact that he was being watched?

As Jeremy takes stock of the entanglements that marked his years abroad, he wonders if he has unwittingly committed a crime so serious that he might soon be faced with his own denaturalization. Moving toward a shattering reassessment of what it means to be free in a time of ever more intrusive surveillance, Jeremy is forced to ask himself whether he is "no one", as he believes, or a traitor not just to his country, but to everyone around him.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Patrick Flanery's book I Am No One was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,599,828 books! | Top bar: Always visible