Paper Girls Volume 1 by Brian K. Vaughan

Paper Girls Volume 1

by Brian K. Vaughan (Writer), Cliff Chiang (Artist)

Other authors: Jared K. Fletcher (Letters), Matt Wilson (Colors)

Series: Paper Girls (1-5 collected)

It's a bit all over the place for my tastes. I've liked much of Vaughan's output until now, but there were may too many sci-fi tropes crammed in here for me to handle.

If I were still buying single issues, I'm not sure I would have stuck it out this far. ( )
  asxz | Mar 13, 2019 |
Paper Girls has been described as Stranger Things with a feminist slant, and this is pretty true, though more sci-fi than horror. A group of pre-teen and teenage girls deliver papers in their small town where nothing ever happens - until it does. One early morning while riding their route, they are robbed by strange men who wrap their faces like mummies. They go to retrieve their stolen property, only to find that the story gets much weirder from there.

The artwork in Papergirls is amazing, particularly the coloring. Somehow the colorist has managed to embrace the neon, blinding colors of the 80's with the eerie, dim-lit pre-dawn light of early mornings. The effect is stunning.

The story is intriguing, but I've finally been able to identify what bothers me about Vaughan's stories. The stories are excellent, but often feel too vast to be contained in the stories. I would get invested, and then, oh, it's over. Sci-fi is an intense genre, with twists and turns, and condensing it into slim volumes like Papergirls leaves the reader feeling vaguely unsatisfied, even though the story was great.

Despite that, the references to pop culture in the 80's, along with the vague hints at the world the girls have inadvertently stumbled into, is intriguing and hopefully will continue to develop as the story goes on. ( )
  kittyjay | Feb 28, 2019 |
Glad I have Vol. 2 ( )
  tntbeckyford | Feb 16, 2019 |
This series is a lot of fun, and pretty consistent thus far (I’ve read the first four volumes). ( )
  brokensandals | Feb 7, 2019 |

3,5 *

80s, Halloween, and time travel! I love the idea and I love the colours (for some reason the sky's bisexual in there? It looks great! :'D) I love that it tries to deceipt bad things about the 80s - homophobia, racism, misogyny - and not only hop on the vibe.

Mac, KJ, Erin, and Tiffany distribute newspapers when something goes wrong. They bump into some monstrous guys, run away, get into more trouble, and bump into different bad guys. The story is fast paced and has a lot of plot twists but it also doesn't let us get to know the characters all that well.

All in all, it looks promising and I want to see more of this girl gang. They're terrified and don't know what's going on but those girls certainly can put up a fight.

localbeehunter | Jan 15, 2019 |

Vaughan, Brian K.Writerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chiang, CliffArtistmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Fletcher, Jared K.Letterssecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wilson, MattColorssecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Is this...?
This volume collects the comics #1-5.

From BRIAN K. VAUGHAN, #1 New York Times bestselling writer of SAGA and THE PRIVATE EYE, and CLIFF CHIANG, legendary artist of Wonder Woman, comes the first volume of an all-new ongoing adventure. In the early hours after Halloween of 1988, four 12-year-old newspaper delivery girls uncover the most important story of all time. Suburban drama and otherworldly mysteries collide in this smash-hit series about nostalgia, first jobs, and the last days of childhood. Collects PAPER GIRLS #1-5

In the early hours after Halloween on 1988, four 12-year-old newspaper delivery girls uncover the most important story of all time. Suburban drama and supernatural mysteries collide in this series about nostalgia, first jobs, and the last days of childhood -- back cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,165,165 books! | Top bar: Always visible