Soft and Others: 16 Stories of Wonder and…

Soft and Others: 16 Stories of Wonder and Dread (edition 1990)

by F. Paul Wilson

Title:Soft and Others: 16 Stories of Wonder and Dread
Authors:F. Paul Wilson
Info:Tom Doherty Assoc Llc (1990), Edition: First Thus, Mass Market Paperback, 306 pages
Collections:Reviewed, Read but unowned
Tags:Science Fiction, short stories, Horror, fiction

Soft and others : 16 stories of wonder and dread by F. Paul Wilson

Meh. Not a keeper. Even in his novel-length work I prefer Wilson's science-fiction rather than his horror--even though it's his horror that's much more popular. (I didn't care for The Keep and preferred his much more obscure The LaNague Chronicles. Half of these 16 stories are old-fashioned horror of the supernatural kind. Half are science fiction. (Although quite a few of those have a horror flavor.) Wilson doesn't give Stephen King or Isaac Asimov a run for their money. I can't say I find any of the stories particularly memorable--except "Buckets" which I did remember right from the opening lines from my first read of this years ago--problem is it's the story in the anthology I disliked the most. True, I don't care for the anti-abortion message, but I also thought it eye-rollingly heavy-handed. The same could be said of "Lipidleggin'"even if the 1978 story does seem rather prophetic in its food police and I agree with its libertarian message. And I found other such message stories such as "Be Fruitful and Multiply" even more clunkily trailing anvils--and too far fetched to allow me to suspend my disbelief. My favorite story in the book was the one with no whiff of horror, the most upbeat of the bunch, and I thought the one with the most clever twist--"To Fill the Sea and Air." But I don't like it enough to let this book continue to claim shelf-space. ( )
  LisaMaria_C | Jan 20, 2013 |
The Kindle edition includes five extra stories:
Performance, Night Dive, Memoirs of the Effster, Rumors, Hunters.

Contains the stories:
The Cleaning Machine
To Fill the Sea and Air
Green Winter
Be Fruitful and Multiply
The Last "One Mo' Once Golden Oldies Revival"
The Years the Music Died
Doc Johnson
Menage a Trois
Night Dive
Memoirs of the Effster

Wilson's hard-to-find first collection of short fiction is available again - with bonus stories exclusive to this ebook edition. "F. Paul Wilson is among the finest storytellers of our time." (Rocky Mountain News) "Biting themes..stinging tales..sharp social satire." (Kirkus Reviews) "Reminiscent of TV's 'Twilight Zone'..vivid and viscerally wrenching.."(Publishers Weekly)… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,907,750 books! | Top bar: Always visible