Freckle Juice by Judy Blume

Freckle Juice

by Judy Blume

2,570512,335 (3.57)1 / 13

I enjoyed reading Freckle Juice because the plot is funny and characters are believable. The story is about a young student who wants to have freckles like another classmate in his class. He will do anything to get freckles so he pays a girl in his class fifty cents for a “secret freckle juice formula”. The ingredients include “grape juice, vinegar, mustard, mayonnaise, juice from one lemon, pepper and salt, ketchup, olive oil, and a speck of onion.” This makes the plot funny because even though Andrew knows these ingredients do not look like they go together, he is determined to get freckles and will do anything to get them. Andrew and his friends are believable characters because this is something a young student would attempt to do in order to get what they wanted. Sharon is believable because she is the know-it-all girl who is tricking the boys into doing something she knows is wrong. She tricks the boys by sounding believable, “The secret recipe for removing freckles has been in my family for years. That’s how come none of us have any. I’ll sell it to you for fifty cents!” The central message of this story is that you should be happy with your appearance no matter what. Some people may enjoy features of your appearance that you wouldn’t expect. ( )
  bkling1 | Mar 18, 2014 |
Freckle Juice is the story of Andrew Marcus who wants freckles because if he has freckles his mom won’t know if his neck is dirty or not. He decides to take a chance and buy a freckle juice recipe from Sharon.
I am a person with freckle who has loved them and hated them at one time or another in my life. My parents always told me I was beautiful even with the freckle but sometimes I wish I could have a remover just like Nicky. I am who I am and look like I look and that cant be changed so I learned to love everything about myself. Our society today put a judgment on anyone who is not what they consider perfect. What is the perfect face? No one really can say because it is only their opinion. This was a very cute book and it has a good moral to the story. Which is love you face!

I would have the students work up their list of what makes them different and have them share their list. ( )
  carlibmiller | Feb 23, 2014 |
“Freckle Juice” is a book written by Judy Blume. The book is about a second grade student named Andrew who wishes he had freckles like another boy in class named Nicky. Great book that can tackle self-confidence issues in young children. A young book is self-concious about his freckles. I read this book when I was younger and i loved it. It is a classic. ( )
  anita.curry | Dec 8, 2013 |
"Nicky has freckles -- they cover his face, his ears, and the whole back of his neck. Sitting behind him in class, Andrew once counted eighty-six of them, and that was just a start! If Andrew had freckles like Nicky, his mother would never know if his neck was dirty.

One day after school, Andrew works up enough courage to ask Nicky where he got his freckles. When know-it-all Sharon overhears, she offers Andrew her secret freckle juice recipe -- for fifty cents. It's a lot of money, but Andrew is desperate. At home he carefully mixes the strange combination of ingredients. Then the unexpected happens..."
from amazon
  lexibaldwin | Dec 5, 2013 |
Summary:
“Freckle Juice” is a book written by Judy Blume. The book is about a second grade student named Andrew who wishes he had freckles like another boy in class named Nicky. Andrew asks Nicky how to get freckles but was told that your born with them but a sneaky student by the name of Sharon decides to play a prank on Andrew and sell him a recipe to get freckles. Andrew ends up making the concoction which makes him very sick. He eventually gets better but does not want to go back without freckles so he looks for a marker to draw them on but only finds a blue one, but he draws them on anyway. He goes to school and gets laughed at and realizes that he had fallen victim to a prank. His teacher gives him Andrew a recipe for removing freckles which says rub your face with soap. Nicky, the student with freckles, asked to use the recipe also because he hates his which he was stopped by the teacher and told that his freckles look good on him.

Personal Reflection:
I thought this book was very cute. It is a book that you would jump at any chance to read this to kids.

Classroom Extensions:
The book is helpful in class because its shows children that they might not like something about themselves because they are different and they want to fit in. But that same quality that they do not like another person may wish they had.
  KelseyBelden | Oct 27, 2013 |

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:55:25 -0400)

Andrew wants freckles so badly that he buys Sharon's freckle recipe for fifty cents.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,241,989 books! | Top bar: Always visible