Freckle Juice by Judy Blume

Freckle Juice

by Judy Blume

2,646522,258 (3.56)1 / 14

I think this is an awesome chapter book for young teens/older children. The first reason why I like this book is because of the humor that it has to offer. What I mean by this is that it is humor that children reading this would love. For example, Andrew wants as many freckles as Nicky has. They cover Nicky’s face, ears, and the whole back of his neck. The only reason why Andrew wants this is so that his mother would never know if his neck was dirty. So, when Sharon overhears this, she offers Andrew a “secret freckle juice recipe” for 50 cents! This would surely happen in a elementary grade classroom. The next reason why I liked this book was because of how realistic it was. Many times during 4th-6th grade, kids in the class try to pull pranks and fool you. What you have to do is to stand up for yourself and not be fooled. This is exactly what Andrew did. Andrew came to school the next day, after buying the freckle juice recipe from Sharon, with purple draw-on freckles all over his body. He did this in order to prove to her that “it works” and that she didn’t pull a prank on him. The main message I believe this book has is to support individuality and self-confidence. You don’t need to have freckles just because the person sitting in front of you does! Everyone is different- embrace it. ( )
  margan1 | Sep 15, 2014 |
I enjoyed reading Freckle Juice because the plot is funny and characters are believable. The story is about a young student who wants to have freckles like another classmate in his class. He will do anything to get freckles so he pays a girl in his class fifty cents for a “secret freckle juice formula”. The ingredients include “grape juice, vinegar, mustard, mayonnaise, juice from one lemon, pepper and salt, ketchup, olive oil, and a speck of onion.” This makes the plot funny because even though Andrew knows these ingredients do not look like they go together, he is determined to get freckles and will do anything to get them. Andrew and his friends are believable characters because this is something a young student would attempt to do in order to get what they wanted. Sharon is believable because she is the know-it-all girl who is tricking the boys into doing something she knows is wrong. She tricks the boys by sounding believable, “The secret recipe for removing freckles has been in my family for years. That’s how come none of us have any. I’ll sell it to you for fifty cents!” The central message of this story is that you should be happy with your appearance no matter what. Some people may enjoy features of your appearance that you wouldn’t expect. ( )
  bkling1 | Mar 18, 2014 |
Freckle Juice is the story of Andrew Marcus who wants freckles because if he has freckles his mom won’t know if his neck is dirty or not. He decides to take a chance and buy a freckle juice recipe from Sharon.
I am a person with freckle who has loved them and hated them at one time or another in my life. My parents always told me I was beautiful even with the freckle but sometimes I wish I could have a remover just like Nicky. I am who I am and look like I look and that cant be changed so I learned to love everything about myself. Our society today put a judgment on anyone who is not what they consider perfect. What is the perfect face? No one really can say because it is only their opinion. This was a very cute book and it has a good moral to the story. Which is love you face!

I would have the students work up their list of what makes them different and have them share their list. ( )
  carlibmiller | Feb 23, 2014 |
“Freckle Juice” is a book written by Judy Blume. The book is about a second grade student named Andrew who wishes he had freckles like another boy in class named Nicky. Great book that can tackle self-confidence issues in young children. A young book is self-concious about his freckles. I read this book when I was younger and i loved it. It is a classic. ( )
  anita.curry | Dec 8, 2013 |
"Nicky has freckles -- they cover his face, his ears, and the whole back of his neck. Sitting behind him in class, Andrew once counted eighty-six of them, and that was just a start! If Andrew had freckles like Nicky, his mother would never know if his neck was dirty.

One day after school, Andrew works up enough courage to ask Nicky where he got his freckles. When know-it-all Sharon overhears, she offers Andrew her secret freckle juice recipe -- for fifty cents. It's a lot of money, but Andrew is desperate. At home he carefully mixes the strange combination of ingredients. Then the unexpected happens..."
from amazon
  lexibaldwin | Dec 5, 2013 |

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:55:25 -0400)

Andrew wants freckles so badly that he buys Sharon's freckle recipe for fifty cents.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,327,909 books! | Top bar: Always visible