Freckle Juice by Judy Blume

Freckle Juice (1984)

by Judy Blume

2,807622,089 (3.56)1 / 18

A boy desperately wants freckles, so he buys a recipe for freckle juice, with disastrous results.

This is a very short book, not really a novel (even my son said it was short). That would probably make it a good pick for independent reading for new readers. Not as memorable as other Blume books, though.

Read aloud to my son in 2015. ( )
  sturlington | Sep 15, 2015 |
summary: The 2nd grader Andrew wants more than anything to have freckles. Why? Well this is because he wants them so his mom cannot tell that he is dirty. At one point in the book he draws freckles on himself with blue marker.

personal reaction: Good book about wanting to be different because everyone in some way wants to be different.

classroom ideas: 1. Have them write about what they liked or disliked most about the book.
2. Everyone could draw freckles on their face with blue marker.
  Matthew.Pluff | Jul 15, 2015 |
I read this book as a kid, so reading this again brought back a lot of memories. Just like the boy in the book, I wanted to have a lot a freckles. I never drew them on myself, but I always wanted to find ways to get them. After reading this book, I figured out that you have to love yourself for the way you look and do not try to change yourself. ( )
  krausch | Mar 2, 2015 |
There are several reasons why I like this book. First, I really enjoyed the illustration's throughout this book. Each illustration has a way of increasing or bringing out key details to the story. For example, on pages 22 and 23 there is a sequence of illustrations of Sharon passing Andrew the recipe. I feel this helps young readers relate to the story more since they are not only hearing the events but also seeing them in action. The second concept I liked about this book is the multiple messages it pushes the reader to think about. The first message is never be to gullible. Even though Andrew was skeptical about Sharon's recipe, he still gave her the money because he somehow fell for her silly tricks. The second message, which I believe is the main message is all about accepting yourself and your differences. After trying so hard to get freckles, Andrew was finally able to accept himself after Mrs. Kelly told him that he was very handsome boy without them. ( )
  acaine1 | Feb 28, 2015 |

Nicky has freckles -- they cover his face, his ears, and the whole back of his neck. Sitting behind him in class, Andrew once counted eighty-six of them, and that was just a start! If Andrew had freckles like Nicky, his mother would never know if his neck was dirty.

One day after school, Andrew works up enough courage to ask Nicky where he got his freckles. When know-it-all Sharon overhears, she offers Andrew her secret freckle juice recipe -- for fifty cents. It's a lot of money, but Andrew is desperate. At home he carefully mixes the strange combination of ingredients. Then the unexpected happens...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:20 -0400)

Andrew wants freckles so badly that he buys Sharon's freckle recipe for fifty cents.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,669,393 books! | Top bar: Always visible