Freckle Juice by Judy Blume

Freckle Juice

by Judy Blume

2,683572,211 (3.57)1 / 15

SUMMARY
Andrew's mother complains about how dirty he can get. Nicky has a lot of freckles. If Andrew had freckles like Nicky, his mother would never know if his neck was dirty. When Andrew asks Nicky how he got the freckles, Sharon tells him the secret freckle juice recipe for fifty cents. At home he carefully mixes the strange combination of ingredients, but sadly finds out that it does not actually give him freckles.

REVIEW
I love the main message of this book. It teaches students to be confident in their appearance and love themselves for who they are. I also really enjoyed the simple illustrations that were included in this book. My favorite part of the book is when Andrew puts marker on the back of his neck to make freckles and his teacher gives him the "magic eraser." Nicky then also wants an eraser for his freckles. I definitely know I wished that I could erase certain things about me when I was a child so I definitely connected to this part. ( )
  tstato1 | Dec 10, 2014 |
I really liked this book because of how funny and light hearted it is. The language was descriptive and clear, and really made the story come to life. The writing was engaging and paced really well. The problems and solutions in the plot were not dramatic life events, but the author did a great job of making them feel tense and suspenseful. The book pushes readers to think about what they have, and how silly it is to want something just because someone else has it. The big idea was that a boy would do anything to get freckles. ( )
  tburfe1 | Dec 2, 2014 |
This book was about a boy who wanted freckles. He was jealous of a classmate with them and would do anything to get them. So he gets a secret family recipe from a girl and class. He pays her 50 cents, which he says is "five weeks worth of allowance", which I found to age the book. This is best for students in 3rd grade. This was a fun book because of the recipe for freckle juice was so gross and disgusting, but he still tried it. The main message of this book was to be yourself and accept yourself. The thing that you are envious of, may be something that person hates about themselves. It was kind of like "the grass isn't always greener on the other side" . This book would be best for 3rd graders who enjoy fun and silly realistic fiction books. ( )
  nhassa3 | Nov 24, 2014 |
Summary:
In this humorous chapter book, Andrew Marcus, a young school boy, admires his classmate Nicky who has freckles that cover his face, neck, and ears. Because Andrew is so determined to get freckles, he asks Nicky where he got his freckles from, and Andrew’s other classmate, Shannon, overhears the conversation. Shannon offers him her “secret” freckle juice recipe, although she tells Andrew that he needs to pay 50 cents. To Andrew, 50 cents is about five weeks of allowance, and although he is hesitant to spend it on the freckle juice recipe, his determination overrides his need to save money. Once he mixes all the ingredients, freckles do not appear on his face, or any other place on his body. Andrew finds a blue marker, and draws freckles all over his face and neck one morning before school. All the kids laugh at him, but his teacher gives him a “magic eraser” to privately go to the boys bathroom and wash off the freckles. When Nicky saw how Andrew’s freckles came off, he asked the teacher for the same magic eraser and she said, “Andrew didn’t look good with freckles. But you look wonderful! I’d hate to see you without them. They’re a part of you. So, I’m going to put away this magic formula. I hope I never have to use it again.”
The central message of this book is to be confident in one’s self-image. Although this is a chapter book geared toward young elementary school children, I believe it would benefit older children as well, especially since an older age range struggles with confidence and self-image. I particularly liked the black and white drawings that assisted certain events throughout the book. For instance, during the exchange of money and the “freckle juice” formula in class, the pictures demonstrated how Andrew and Shannon passed the note by kicking it to each other from each other’s desks. The pictures provide an excellent visual for events in the book. ( )
  mkaray1 | Nov 2, 2014 |

Nicky has freckles -- they cover his face, his ears, and the whole back of his neck. Sitting behind him in class, Andrew once counted eighty-six of them, and that was just a start! If Andrew had freckles like Nicky, his mother would never know if his neck was dirty.

One day after school, Andrew works up enough courage to ask Nicky where he got his freckles. When know-it-all Sharon overhears, she offers Andrew her secret freckle juice recipe -- for fifty cents. It's a lot of money, but Andrew is desperate. At home he carefully mixes the strange combination of ingredients. Then the unexpected happens...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:55:25 -0400)

Andrew wants freckles so badly that he buys Sharon's freckle recipe for fifty cents.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,159,810 books! | Top bar: Always visible