Freckle Juice by Judy Blume

Freckle Juice (1984)

by Judy Blume

2,844642,043 (3.57)1 / 23

I love Judy Blume. I remember reading her when I was young. Not sure if I have ever read this book before but it was a cute book. ( )
  crazy4reading | Nov 8, 2015 |
What’s a guy gotta do to get some freckles? This perennial bestselling favorite from Judy Blume has a fresh new look!

More than anything in the world, Andrew Marcus wants freckles. His classmate Nicky has freckles—they cover his face, his ears, and the whole back of his neck. But when Andrew asks Nicky where he got them, Nicky just says he was born with them. Some help he is!

That’s when Sharon offers Andrew her secret freckle juice recipe—for fifty cents, she promises, Andrew can look just like Nicky. His freckleless days are over! He rushes home to whip up the concoction. Grape juice, vinegar, mustard…

But what starts out as a simple freckle juice recipe quickly turns into something disastrous. Andrew is still determined to get his freckles, and to show that pesky Sharon that she doesn’t know everything—and he has the perfect solution! Or does he? (amazon).
  AmyStepaniuk | Oct 10, 2015 |
A boy desperately wants freckles, so he buys a recipe for freckle juice, with disastrous results.

This is a very short book, not really a novel (even my son said it was short). That would probably make it a good pick for independent reading for new readers. Not as memorable as other Blume books, though. ( )
  sturlington | Sep 15, 2015 |
summary: The 2nd grader Andrew wants more than anything to have freckles. Why? Well this is because he wants them so his mom cannot tell that he is dirty. At one point in the book he draws freckles on himself with blue marker.

personal reaction: Good book about wanting to be different because everyone in some way wants to be different.

classroom ideas: 1. Have them write about what they liked or disliked most about the book.
2. Everyone could draw freckles on their face with blue marker.
  Matthew.Pluff | Jul 15, 2015 |
I read this book as a kid, so reading this again brought back a lot of memories. Just like the boy in the book, I wanted to have a lot a freckles. I never drew them on myself, but I always wanted to find ways to get them. After reading this book, I figured out that you have to love yourself for the way you look and do not try to change yourself. ( )
  krausch | Mar 2, 2015 |

Nicky has freckles -- they cover his face, his ears, and the whole back of his neck. Sitting behind him in class, Andrew once counted eighty-six of them, and that was just a start! If Andrew had freckles like Nicky, his mother would never know if his neck was dirty.

One day after school, Andrew works up enough courage to ask Nicky where he got his freckles. When know-it-all Sharon overhears, she offers Andrew her secret freckle juice recipe -- for fifty cents. It's a lot of money, but Andrew is desperate. At home he carefully mixes the strange combination of ingredients. Then the unexpected happens...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:20 -0400)

Andrew wants freckles so badly that he buys Sharon's freckle recipe for fifty cents.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,963,604 books! | Top bar: Always visible