Freckle Juice by Judy Blume

Freckle Juice (1984)

by Judy Blume

3,121691,805 (3.58)1 / 24

This is a classic! Every year my students think this book is hilarious. Andrew Marcus really wants freckles like his friend Nicky Lane. His friend Sharon tells him she knows how to get freckles. She has a secret family recipe that has been in her family for years. But it will cost him. He pays her for the recipes and makes the concoction. He gets violently ill from the terrible taste and his mother worries he has appendicitis! The next day he goes to school but still wants the freckles he never got from Sharon's recipe. He decides to put them on himself by putting magic marker on his face. When he gets to school everyone laughs at him. The teacher, Ms. Kelly gives him another secret recipe for getting rid of "freckles"; soap and water! He clears his face and the other kids are amazed. Sharon then tells Nicky Lane she has just the recipe to get rid of his freckles. ( )
  Kelleighk1 | Dec 14, 2016 |
This was one of my favorite books that I read in elementary school and I still remember it today. Judy Blume, the author, truly made the story come to life and I can imagine the story in my head as I read each page of the book! ( )
  morgansmith32 | Sep 11, 2016 |
Good Judy Blume classic I read to my students. How does one obtain freckles? Easy, if you follow the recipe. Silly and fun way to introduce Judy to new students. ( )
  weisser4 | May 3, 2016 |
I really liked the book, Freckle Juice, by Judy Blume. First, the character was well developed, and is relatable to younger readers. For example, the entire first page of the story is describing the main character, Nicky Lane. The author really develops the characters through the book to engage the readers. Second, I liked the point of view the story is told in. The story is told in a narrator point of view, or third person. Using the third person, the author says, "Andrew Marcus wanted freckles. Nicky Lane had freckles." The point of view allows the reader to read without biases. The main message of this book is to accept who you are, and self-esteem. ( )
  lducke3 | Apr 10, 2016 |
I love Judy Blume. I remember reading her when I was young. Not sure if I have ever read this book before but it was a cute book. ( )
  crazy4reading | Nov 8, 2015 |

Nicky has freckles -- they cover his face, his ears, and the whole back of his neck. Sitting behind him in class, Andrew once counted eighty-six of them, and that was just a start! If Andrew had freckles like Nicky, his mother would never know if his neck was dirty.

One day after school, Andrew works up enough courage to ask Nicky where he got his freckles. When know-it-all Sharon overhears, she offers Andrew her secret freckle juice recipe -- for fifty cents. It's a lot of money, but Andrew is desperate. At home he carefully mixes the strange combination of ingredients. Then the unexpected happens...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:20 -0400)

Andrew wants freckles so badly that he buys Sharon's freckle recipe for fifty cents.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,496,889 books! | Top bar: Always visible