Freckle Juice by Judy Blume

Freckle Juice (1984)

by Judy Blume

2,760602,121 (3.57)1 / 15

I read this book as a kid, so reading this again brought back a lot of memories. Just like the boy in the book, I wanted to have a lot a freckles. I never drew them on myself, but I always wanted to find ways to get them. After reading this book, I figured out that you have to love yourself for the way you look and do not try to change yourself. ( )
  krausch | Mar 2, 2015 |
There are several reasons why I like this book. First, I really enjoyed the illustration's throughout this book. Each illustration has a way of increasing or bringing out key details to the story. For example, on pages 22 and 23 there is a sequence of illustrations of Sharon passing Andrew the recipe. I feel this helps young readers relate to the story more since they are not only hearing the events but also seeing them in action. The second concept I liked about this book is the multiple messages it pushes the reader to think about. The first message is never be to gullible. Even though Andrew was skeptical about Sharon's recipe, he still gave her the money because he somehow fell for her silly tricks. The second message, which I believe is the main message is all about accepting yourself and your differences. After trying so hard to get freckles, Andrew was finally able to accept himself after Mrs. Kelly told him that he was very handsome boy without them. ( )
  acaine1 | Feb 28, 2015 |
SUMMARY
Andrew's mother complains about how dirty he can get. Nicky has a lot of freckles. If Andrew had freckles like Nicky, his mother would never know if his neck was dirty. When Andrew asks Nicky how he got the freckles, Sharon tells him the secret freckle juice recipe for fifty cents. At home he carefully mixes the strange combination of ingredients, but sadly finds out that it does not actually give him freckles.

REVIEW
I love the main message of this book. It teaches students to be confident in their appearance and love themselves for who they are. I also really enjoyed the simple illustrations that were included in this book. My favorite part of the book is when Andrew puts marker on the back of his neck to make freckles and his teacher gives him the "magic eraser." Nicky then also wants an eraser for his freckles. I definitely know I wished that I could erase certain things about me when I was a child so I definitely connected to this part. ( )
  tstato1 | Dec 10, 2014 |
I really liked this book because of how funny and light hearted it is. The language was descriptive and clear, and really made the story come to life. The writing was engaging and paced really well. The problems and solutions in the plot were not dramatic life events, but the author did a great job of making them feel tense and suspenseful. The book pushes readers to think about what they have, and how silly it is to want something just because someone else has it. The big idea was that a boy would do anything to get freckles. ( )
  tburfe1 | Dec 2, 2014 |

Nicky has freckles -- they cover his face, his ears, and the whole back of his neck. Sitting behind him in class, Andrew once counted eighty-six of them, and that was just a start! If Andrew had freckles like Nicky, his mother would never know if his neck was dirty.

One day after school, Andrew works up enough courage to ask Nicky where he got his freckles. When know-it-all Sharon overhears, she offers Andrew her secret freckle juice recipe -- for fifty cents. It's a lot of money, but Andrew is desperate. At home he carefully mixes the strange combination of ingredients. Then the unexpected happens...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:20 -0400)

Andrew wants freckles so badly that he buys Sharon's freckle recipe for fifty cents.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,930,628 books! | Top bar: Always visible