Freckle Juice by Judy Blume

Freckle Juice (original 1984; edition 1984)

by Judy Blume, Sonia Lisker (Illustrator)

3,567722,164 (3.61)1 / 25
Member:kmorton
Title:Freckle Juice
Authors:Judy Blume
Other authors:Sonia Lisker (Illustrator)
Info:Simon & Schuster Books For Young Readers (1984), Hardcover, 40 pages
Collections:Classroom Books

Freckle Juice by Judy Blume (1984)

Loved this book, it changed my life when I was about 6, getting teased for having red hair and freckles. My mom bought me this, and I felt so much better about myself. I can't recommend it enough. All my kids have read it too. ( )
  KGarner | Aug 4, 2018 |
I've been giving into nostalgia the last few months and picking up copies of Blume's adolescent books for myself, but stopped short of the children's books. Until one day my sister in law was looking for kids books with a chemistry bent and Freckle Juice popped into my head. It's not chemistry, exactly, but it does involve kitchen chemistry. Once it was in my head I had to find a copy.

It's even better than I remember! It's going to be fun reading this to my nieces; I'd almost swear Judy Blume wrote it for the express purpose of reading it aloud. As always she captures what it was to be a kid and think what you don't have is cooler than what you do.

A fun read for younger kids and with the exception of the affects of inflation (10 cents a week allowance anyone?), the book is pretty timeless. ( )
  murderbydeath | Apr 1, 2018 |
I read this to my daughter tonight and I suddenly had this flash back to second grade. We made some freckle juice as a class and it smelled like throw up! I had completely forgotten about that!
This book is just super adorable. It was originally published in the early seventies! The only thing that was dated was that the mom had to go to the kitchen to use the phone! Nearly 50 years and the book has really held up well.
That's awesome. Hats off to Judy Blume! ( )
  mollypitchermary | Oct 11, 2017 |
This is the story of Andrew who really wants freckles because Nicky has freckles. Another classmate, Sharon, sells Andrew a recipe for getting freckles. After getting violently ill from the recipe, andrew still has no freckles to show for it. He decides to draw freckles on himself with a blue marker. When his teacher notices she gives Andrew a recipe to remove the freckles. The central message of this story is to be confident in your appearance and love yourself. ( )
  ChristineConrad | Mar 30, 2017 |
This is a classic! Every year my students think this book is hilarious. Andrew Marcus really wants freckles like his friend Nicky Lane. His friend Sharon tells him she knows how to get freckles. She has a secret family recipe that has been in her family for years. But it will cost him. He pays her for the recipes and makes the concoction. He gets violently ill from the terrible taste and his mother worries he has appendicitis! The next day he goes to school but still wants the freckles he never got from Sharon's recipe. He decides to put them on himself by putting magic marker on his face. When he gets to school everyone laughs at him. The teacher, Ms. Kelly gives him another secret recipe for getting rid of "freckles"; soap and water! He clears his face and the other kids are amazed. Sharon then tells Nicky Lane she has just the recipe to get rid of his freckles. ( )
  Kelleighk1 | Dec 14, 2016 |

Nicky has freckles -- they cover his face, his ears, and the whole back of his neck. Sitting behind him in class, Andrew once counted eighty-six of them, and that was just a start! If Andrew had freckles like Nicky, his mother would never know if his neck was dirty.

One day after school, Andrew works up enough courage to ask Nicky where he got his freckles. When know-it-all Sharon overhears, she offers Andrew her secret freckle juice recipe -- for fifty cents. It's a lot of money, but Andrew is desperate. At home he carefully mixes the strange combination of ingredients. Then the unexpected happens...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:20 -0400)

Andrew pays fifty cents for a magic formula to create freckles

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,681,973 books! | Top bar: Always visible