HomeGroupsTalkZeitgeist
This site uses cookies to deliver our services, improve performance, for analytics, and (if not signed in) for advertising. By using LibraryThing you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your use of the site and services is subject to these policies and terms.
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

Here I am : a novel by Jonathan Safran Foer
Loading...

Here I am : a novel (edition 2016)

by Jonathan Safran Foer

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingMentions
7652912,108 (3.92)29
Member:joeeasterly
Title:Here I am : a novel
Authors:Jonathan Safran Foer
Info:New York : Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 2016.
Collections:Fiction & Literature
Rating:
Tags:None

Work details

Here I Am: A Novel by Jonathan Safran Foer

None.

Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

No current Talk conversations about this book.

» See also 29 mentions

English (26)  German (3)  All (29)
Showing 1-5 of 26 (next | show all)
Like other authors where I LOVED one of their books more than anything but other books are just ok, everything he's done since Everything is Illuminated has been good but not great, in my opinion. It's difficult to articulate what I didn't like about this, because it was pretty good, but it was difficult to connect to a story about a failing marriage and Israel. The guilt that pervades this story got overwhelming and the dialogue written in script-form made me feel like he was angling for another movie. I really really wanted to connect to the book but I just didn't. ( )
  nheredia05 | Jun 12, 2018 |
I loved this book but then I may be the ideal audience for it since I am a middle-aged married mother who just planned a bar mitzvah. I am not sure how much it will resonate if you are not Jewish or Jewish-adjacent -- there is a lot here about Jewish identity and culture and, in particular, a lot about how Jewish Americans feel about Israel. I was completely riveted by the second half of the book, though, and I think it's easily Foer's strongest work to date. ( )
  GaylaBassham | May 27, 2018 |
This book offers a heart-felt look at marriage in decline, as well as a nation (Isarael). There memory-provoking, at least if you are one of my people, references to Jewish culture and history. Even so, the book's pace is rather slow. Definitely not a page-turner. ( )
  cohenja | Dec 17, 2017 |
There were big chunks of this book that I enjoyed, but I think it would have been more to my liking with some heavy pruning. I guess I might feel different if I were Jewish. The euthenasia of the family dog gets much more attention than the grandfather's suicide - interesting. Perhaps the writing style was a little too creative and innovative for my ageing and conservative reading preferences. ( )
  oldblack | Nov 3, 2017 |
Here I Am is, as can be expected from Foer, a well-written account of a middle-aged Jewish man and his family during turbulent times, both personally and globally. The language of the book was quite appealing and the main character is easily imagined in real life. I found the book to be quite depressing though, with too few lighter or hopeful moments to compensate. My conclusion: it's a good book, but not necessarily an enjoyable story. ( )
  SimoneA | Oct 2, 2017 |
Showing 1-5 of 26 (next | show all)
no reviews | add a review
You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Series (with order)
Canonical title
Information from the German Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
Original title
Alternative titles
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Epigraph
Dedication
First words
When the destruction of Israel commenced, Isaac Bloch was weighing whether to kill himself or move to the Jewish home.
Quotations
People are always mistaking something that looks good for something that feels good.
One can build a perfect home, but not live in it.
The vastness of their shared life made sharing their singularity impossible.
The Jewish American response to the Holocaust was "Never forget," because there was a possibility of forgetting. In Israel, they blared the air-raid siren for two minutes, because otherwise it would never stop blaring.
Once the ritually mandated window for a burial-in-one-day had passed, there was no great rush to figure out a solution. But that's not to say that the family was indifferent to Jewish ritual. Someone had to be with the body at all times between death and burial. ... The patriarch with whom they begrudgingly skyped for seven minutes once a week was now someone they visited daily. By some uniquely Jewish magic, the transition from living to dead transformed the perpetually ignored into the never forgotten.
Last words
Disambiguation notice
Publisher's editors
Blurbers
Publisher series
Original language

References to this work on external resources.

Wikipedia in English

None

Book description
Langzaam verandert Hier ben ik echter van een onschuldig familiair verhaal in een verhaal vol kritiek op politiek, geloof een maatschappij. Vlak voor de bar mitswa van Sam, wanneer zijn familie uit het Midden-Oosten al op weg is naar Amerika, vindt er een verschrikkelijke aardbeving plaats in het Midden-Oosten. Een ware oorlog in het Midden-Oosten ontstaat en een cruciale vraag lijkt de laatste draad uit de familie te trekken. De Joden wordt gevraagd terug te komen naar hun eigen land. Jacob staat voor een belangrijke keuze.

Ook na de aardbeving blijft Hier ben ik overtuigend. Bijna ongemerkt wordt de toonzetting in het verhaal harder en gaat het geloof een belangrijkere rol spelen. Geleidelijk gaan filosofische gedachten en levensvragen domineren en komt Safran Foer tot de essentie van zijn verhaal: ‘We zijn versplinterde individuen die een versplinterde verbintenis aangaan in een versplinterde wereld.’ Ook in dit deel zet Safran Foer verschillende tekstsoorten naast elkaar. Met dagboekfragmenten, telefoongesprekken, WhatsAppberichten, dialogen in het virtuele Other life zet hij zijn verhaal kracht bij. Met een hartverscheurend slot eindigt Hier ben ik. Hij legt de vinger op de zere plek en beschrijft iets waar menig mens eigenlijk naar zoekt.
Haiku summary

No descriptions found.

"A monumental new novel from the bestselling author of Everything Is Illuminated and Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close In the book of Genesis, when God calls out, "Abraham!" to order him to sacrifice his son Isaac, Abraham responds, "Here I am." Later, when Isaac calls out, "My father!" to ask him why there is no animal to slaughter, Abraham responds, "Here I am." How do we fulfill our conflicting duties as father, husband, and son; wife and mother; child and adult? Jew and American? How can we claim our own identities when our lives are linked so closely to others'? These are the questions at the heart of Jonathan Safran Foer's first novel in eleven years--a work of extraordinary scope and heartbreaking intimacy. Unfolding over four tumultuous weeks, in present-day Washington, D.C., Here I Am is the story of a fracturing family in a moment of crisis. As Jacob and Julia and their three sons are forced to confront the distances between the lives they think they want and the lives they are living, a catastrophic earthquake sets in motion a quickly escalating conflict in the Middle East. At stake is the very meaning of home--and the fundamental question of how much life one can bear. Showcasing the same high-energy inventiveness, hilarious irreverence, and emotional urgency that readers and critics loved in his earlier work, Here I Am is Foer's most searching, hard-hitting, and grandly entertaining novel yet. It not only confirms Foer's stature as a dazzling literary talent but reveals a mature novelist who has fully come into his own as one of the most important writers of his generation. "--… (more)

(summary from another edition)

» see all 5 descriptions

Quick Links

Popular covers

Rating

Average: (3.92)
0.5
1 1
1.5 2
2 4
2.5 2
3 27
3.5 14
4 38
4.5 15
5 35

Is this you?

Become a LibraryThing Author.

 

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,222,095 books! | Top bar: Always visible