Rock Star Superstar by Blake Nelson

Rock Star Superstar

by Blake Nelson

2008 (1) albums (1) bands (4) booklist (1) drama (1) fiction (8) girl friends (1) girlfriend (1) guitar (1) high school (2) humor (3) jazz (2) music (7) musicians (2) Oregon (2) own (2) read (2) realistic fiction (2) records (2) relationships (2) rock (1) rock and roll (4) Rockstar (2) sing (1) singing (1) Superstar (1) teen (3) unowned (2) YA (6) young adult (5)

I enjoyed the book Rock Star Superstar by Blake Nelson even though it was not what i had expected. I was expecting a book solely about a kid in a band. It turned out to be about a kid and his entire life from his sophomore year in highschool to the time he became a senior. It follows his life with his dad, his friends, his relationships, and his music. The main character, Pete, has many choices to make and many obstacles to overcome on his road to achieve his ultimate dreams of becoming a famous musician and having fun with his friends and girlfriend all along the way. His music seems to control his life; he joins bands and even gets into a fist-fight over a spot in 'The Tiny Masters of Today'. Will Pete make it to the big times and become a famous musician? Or will he fall out of the popular music scene and become a person who wants to get back on top like his dad? I reccommend this book to anyone in highschool because it is truely a great book about music and life. ( )
  ahsreads | Feb 18, 2011 |
The book I read this quarter is called ‘Rock Star, Superstar’ by Blake Nelson. I read all 224/224 pages. This book talks a lot of about high school life of a young musician. As the main character Pete go through high school, he gets influenced by friends and changes a lot of ways he looks at things. This book talks a lot about how we are influenced in our high school career and what is changing around us in our lives.

The young musician Pete, who is a bass player, starts to explore the world and becomes influenced with the musicians around him. He falls in love, switches his band, changes his way of seeing music and starts to get popular. Then things start to fall apart. Popular girls start hitting on him, he gets in fights with his girlfriend and their band has made it down to LA to get a record deal. At the end, he has finally grown out of his old self and remembers what it was to play real music.

In this book, Pete starts out in high school lacking the latest trends and being a bit of a dork. This reminds be of starting freshman year not knowing anything and trying hard to fit in. Slowly Pete started to meld into the high school drama and understand what he wants in life.

The book was a pretty interesting book, though at times may drag or be a bit boring. Though it dragged, it was still quite enjoyable. Sometime Pete thinks very simple and I wonder if guys really think that way.

I would recommend this to teen boys who play guitar or are otherwise involved in a band. ( )
  fchen | May 16, 2008 |
I enjoyed this. I did. But I wondered if boys and men think in as simple a style as this was written. I would recommend this to teen boys who play guitar or are otherwise involved in band. ( )
  readerspeak | Sep 17, 2007 |

Music is Pete's life. From playing in a jazz band to jamming at 2 AM with his guitar-playing dad, Pete is almost never without his bass. He's sure his treasured Fender Precision bass, along with his vow never to be a sell-out, will lead him to a record deal one day.

Then he meets the Carlisle brothers. They can't sing and they can barely play their instruments, but somehow they have a following. And they desperately need a bass player. Pete can play circles around these amateurs, but there's a raw power to their sound that's surprisingly appealing. He can't resist, and he joins The Tiny Masters of Today. When the band gets a chance at real superstardom, Pete wonders if he's ready for the big leagues. He knows the quality of the music should come first... but who knew selling out could be so much fun? Blake Nelson's riveting novel shows the realities of life in a band, and all the temptations that come with it.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:57 -0400)

When Pete, a talented bass player, moves from playing in the high school jazz band to playing in a popular rock group, he finds the experience exhilarating even as his new fame jeopardizes his relationship with girlfriend Margaret.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,886,077 books! | Top bar: Always visible