The Dragon Round by Stephen S. Power

The Dragon Round (edition 2016)

by Stephen S. Power (Author)

Member:sylviawrigley
Title:The Dragon Round
Authors:Stephen S. Power (Author)
Info:Simon & Schuster (2016), 336 pages

The Dragon Round by Stephen S. Power

I received a copy of The Dragon Round from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own. The Dragon Round by Stephen S. Power is a story about mutiny and revenge. I found this story to be intriguing and full of suspense. It is written well, and the characters are very vivid. I'm looking forward to the next installment in this series. ( )
  feeroberts64 | Aug 5, 2016 |
Mutiny happens when ambitious mates see a way to steal a ship from its captain. After a dragon attack, the ship is in disarray and a scheme is formed to dump the captain and haul the valuable corpse of the dragon back to their company. A plague in their land was to be cured by their cargo, making it critical no time is lost returning. Still they stop and render the dragon. The captain is locked up. The healer objects . After the cargo is loaded, the captain and apothecary are left behind in a dinghy with no food, water, sails or oars to die at sea. Somehow they make it to an island where they find food water and a baby dragon. So ends the first half which really impressed me. During this episode circumstances define their chooses, limiting what they can do.
The second half concerns those who abandoned Jeryon and Everlyn. How a lie and the greed of the owners made them heroes. How the greed grew and grew until that was all that was left-tjhe bottom line. This second half made me very sad. Although I loved this book, if it hadn't had the epilogue to offer hope, I probably would have closed it and never looked at it again.
This author has that very rare ability to evoke strong emotion in the reader. The characters and setting are believable. Actions cause realistic reactions and I can't see any part of this book as YA. I recommend this to anyone who wants to read a good story. Look forward to more.
I received this book free for a review. Thanks to the author, Simon & Schuster and Netgalley. ( )
  florabundi | Jul 2, 2016 |
2.5 Stars

Full review to come on July 5th! ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
I would like to thank Simon & Schuster as well as NetGalley for a copy of this e-ARC to review. Though I received this ebook for free, that has no impact upon the honesty of my review.

Goodreads Teaser: "For fans of Scott Lynch and Naomi Novik comes a high fantasy epic that blends swashbuckling adventure with a dark tale of vengeance--when a ship captain is stranded on a deserted island by his mutinous crew, he finds a rare dragon egg that just might be the key to his salvation and his revenge.

He only wanted justice. Instead he got revenge.

Jeryon has been the captain of the Comber for over a decade. He knows the rules. He follows the rules. He likes the rules. But not everyone on his ship agrees. When a monstrous dragon attacks the Comber, his surviving crew, vengeful and battle-worn, decide to take the ship for themselves and give Jeryon and his self-righteous apothecary “the captain’s chance:” a small boat with no rudder, no sails, and nothing but the shirts on their backs to survive.

Marooned and fighting for their lives against the elements, Jeryon and his companion discover that the island they’ve landed on isn’t quite as deserted as they originally thought. They find a rare baby dragon that, if trained, just might be their ticket off the island. But as Jeryon and the dragon grow closer, he begins to realize that even if he makes it off the island, his life will never be the same again. In order for justice to be served, he’ll have to take it for himself."

This story began pretty much as expected but turned down a different path than expected somewhere along the way. And I find the direction it went was interesting to say the least, especially the ending, which shocked the heck out of me (and that's not easily done).

Jeryon is a fairly straightforward character, a by the book kind of man. Which sadly doesn't serve him well. Luckily he learns from his mistakes, eventually. He seems to be a traditional sailor, and doesn't think much of women. So imagine his feelings when he ends up with his ship in mutiny; a mutiny that ends with he and the female apothecary surviving "the captain's chance" only to be stranded on an island far outside any shipping lanes. Luckily for him Everlyn, also known as "poth," is a strong woman in every way, maybe to strong for him, especially as he hasn't had any real contact with women in years by choice.

Much of this story revolves around Jeryon and Everlyn during their time on the island. First their initial struggle for basic survival, then discovering the newly hatched dragon. Their shared struggles and training of Gray, their dragon, developers into a strong bond between all three. But all good things must come to an end. And since Gray can only carry one rider at a time, they aren't both getting off the island together. While testing Gray's limits Jeryon is offered the chance he's been dreaming of for years, justice. He sees one of his old crew, now the captain of his own ship. It's at this point the story shifts once again. Justice, or revenge, is never as satisfying in reality as it is in theory. A lesson Jeryon learns in spades.

The pacing of the story is nice and smooth, with everything moving at a solid speed and not getting to hung up in developing heavy backstory or world building. Combine that with well crafted characters and a strong plot and you end up with one compelling read. It left me more than anxious for the next book to be in my hands immediately, if not sooner. So I sure hope you're busy writing the sequel already Mr. Power! ( )
  Isisunit | Jan 5, 2016 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,435,800 books! | Top bar: Always visible