The Mistress of Spices by Chitra Banerjee…

The Mistress of Spices (1997)

by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni

English (34)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (36)
I found that this book is worth a second read. You really have to pay attention to the beginning chapters or you get lost in the subsequent chapters. It includes lots of mysticism and spiritual overtures. The novel is about an Indian girl who goes through transformations and ends up in Oakland helping people by using the powers of spices. ( )
  jlapac | Aug 14, 2013 |
I liked this book a lot. It’s kind of a well-spiced blend of “Like Water for Chocolate” and “The Lady of Shalott”.

It’s a fantasy set in a gritty urban environment. It moves very far away from reality, but then it keeps coming back and grounding itself in the hope and pain of the Indian immigrant’s experience in the U.S. (It’s set it Oakland.) It’s about power, commitment and sacrifice, but then it just can’t seem to help itself, and it ends up being a love story.
  astrologerjenny | Apr 25, 2013 |

astrologerjenny | Apr 25, 2013 |
love the premise, magic acting through spices. the heroine is supposed to use her training and powers for her own people but compassion leads her to help all who come to her--a lesson in diversity? a dreamy lilt to the tone of the writing, charming word arrangement (is English the author's second language?), an ending that reminds me of that one Batman villain from the animated series who wants to destroy the world so it can heal itself over (Razul?). the love story part is on the verge of silly but silliness does seem to be inherent in the most touching love stories ( )
  EhEh | Apr 3, 2013 |
I saw the movie of this book first and fell in love with the premise: a woman on a remote Indian island is trained as a "Mistress of Spices". Her role is to give up her own life in order to administer healing to her people across the world. I almost didn't read it when I saw all the mediocre reviews on goodreads. But I'm glad I did. I still love the premise, and it carried me through a very busy and stressful time. I wish Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni had gone gone into more depth in places, and I did begin to dream of sentences without metaphors. But the book's poetic beauty, as well as its stories about what love means and the immigrant experience, were welcome diversions. ( )
  annemlanderson | Mar 31, 2013 |
Für meine drei Männer Murthy, Anand, Abhay
einer wie der andere ein Hüter der Gewürze
Ich bin eine Hüterin der Gewürze.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385482388, Paperback)

On a mythic island of women "where on our skin, the warm rain fell like pomegranate seeds" powerful spices like cinnamon, turmeric, and fenugreek whisper their secrets to young acolytes. Ordained after trial by fire, each new spice mistress is sent to a far-off land to cure the life pains of all Indian seekers, while keeping a cool distance from the mortals. Only stubborn, passionate Tilo, disguised as an old woman merchant in present-day Oakland, California, fails to heed the vengeful spices' warnings. Fragrant with spice and sensuality, this winning tale rolls off the tongue. Written in the soaring, poetic tradition of China Men and Haroun and the Sea of Stories.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:03 -0400)

A magic realism tale on Tilo, a woman from India who is given immortality by the gods as long as she remains chaste. In her old age Tilo ends up in California, running a spice shop and helping immigrants. One day enters Raven, a handsome American, and Tilo transforms herself into a beautiful woman for a night of love. Now she must pay the price.… (more)

Chitra Divakaruni is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,625,262 books! | Top bar: Always visible