The Night Bell by Inger Ash Wolfe

The Night Bell

by Inger Ash Wolfe

THE NIGHT BELL is book four in the Hazel Micallef Mystery series, but I didn't have any problems reading the book, despite not having read the previous three books. However, since I have seen the movie do I have some previous knowledge of the characters in the book. But, I don't think you have to read the previous books to enjoy this one.

READ THE REST OF THE REVIEW OVER AT FRESH FICTION
  MaraBlaise | Dec 14, 2017 |
This was a good book; hard to put down. I'll look for more by this author ( )
  NatalieSW | Nov 22, 2016 |
Hazel Micallef is one of my favorite detectives. I've read the three previous books and couldn't wait for this one to come out (which took a long time!). Hazel is now 64 and dealing with the changes at the station as they consolidate and her mother, a former judge, who is starting to lose it. There are two several investigations going on. One relates to a new subdivision which has stopped building the promised golf course and a much older case that happened when Hazel was fourteen. How they tie together is the heart of this excellent book. If you like police procedurals, you are going to love these books! ( )
  Dianekeenoy | Oct 10, 2016 |
3.5 Fourth in this series, set in Port Dundas, Ontario, finds Hazel, a policewoman confronted with two different cases and another unsolved missing person that harkens back to her childhood. Hazel has a remarkable doggedness, loyalty to her family and her coworkers. Even when told to stop working the case, she finds a way around the order. A boys orphanage from the pastwith many boys unaccounted for, bones in a field of new developments, a murdered rather well to do couple, and a missing policeman. How these threads connect is the story.

This is one series that it definitely helps to have read the previous installments, not much time is spent going over back stories. Fairly fast paced, Hazel's mother, a ex judge who is sadly losing her marbles at times provides a great deal of humor. Also loved seeing Hazel as a young girl, tenacious even then. Although I had guessed some of the answers by books end, there were still some surprises, one big one in particular.

ARC from publisher. ( )
  Beamis12 | Aug 11, 2016 |
It's taken eight years for the pseudonymous Inger Ash Wolfe to write four Hazel Micallef books, and if this is what it takes to maintain the high quality of the series, I'm certainly not going to complain and beg the author to write faster. Fans have experienced quite a bit through these four books: superiors wanting Hazel off the force, the sixtysomething Hazel's back surgery and recuperation, Hazel's care of her mother Emily as Emily's mental and physical health continue to deteriorate, as well as a passel of hair-raising cases that would make many police officers retire. Hazel Micallef is one of the best characters in crime fiction; she ranks right up there on my list with Fiona Griffiths and Dr. Ruth Galloway. I'd no more forget to read the newest Inger Ash Wolfe mystery than I would wake up in the morning and forget to put on my glasses.

There are two crimes being investigated in The Night Bell. The present-day one is solved rather quickly and behind the scenes because it is the old case, the case that Hazel wants to solve for her brother, that is the main focus of attention. It is interesting to inhabit Hazel's childhood memories, to see what sort of little girl she was. Those memories prove to be very important in solving the case, too. Her main source of help is James Wingate who was gravely injured in the last book, A Door in the River. Wingate is supposed to be on light duty, and he certainly isn't officially on the roster, but his work is key in helping Hazel solve the cold case-- and it has a lot to do with the fact that Hazel is the only one on the force who believes in him.

I may have spotted the killer in the cold case early on, but that didn't matter much. When the title of this book was explained, my blood ran cold, and all I could think about was justice. Don't be surprised if you feel the very same way.

Are you new to the Hazel Micallef books? Technically you can start just about anywhere because the author does a good job of filling in enough of the backstory to keep things clear. But if you truly love unique characters and delight in watching their progress over a period of time, please start at the very beginning with The Calling. You'll be in for a treat! ( )
  cathyskye | Aug 8, 2016 |
For my brother, who likes a good yarn.
Hibiki Yoshida drank green tea from a blue ceramic cup. (Prologue)

The Night Bell moves between the past and the present in Port Dundas, Ontario, as two mysteries converge. A discovery of the bones of murdered children is made on land that was once a county foster home. Now it's being developed as a brand new subdivision whose first residents are already railing against broken promises and corruption. But when three of these residents are murdered after the discovery of the children's bones, frustration turns to terror. While trying to stem the panic and solve two crimes at once, Hazel Micallef finds her memory stirred back to the fall of 1959, when the disappearance of a girl from town was blamed on her adopted brother. Although he is long dead, she begins to see the present case as a chance to clear her brother's name, something that drives Hazel beyond her own considerable limits and right into the sights of an angry killer."… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,065,503 books! | Top bar: Always visible